Author Topic: Question for c5 owners  (Read 13410 times)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 01:11:52 pm
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!! Just ride it.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 09:00:24 pm
i belong to a bonneville club and out slogan is
"shut up and ride"

i realy like the c5 military but will probubly go with the g5 because i think the kick starter is cool....

buy the re break it in then ride the snot out of it...if you don't, then you just waisted your money.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 09:05:14 pm
This coming model year the C5 gets a kick start too :)

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 09:26:08 pm
thanks....i'll wait for the c5 military with the kicker.

joe
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

Fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 12:46:32 am
olhogrider,

Whatever works for you. I don't jump on my motorcycle every morning at 6:30 to get turned on, I jump on it to get to work cheaply and on time. My commute is so miserable that I doubt doing it on a nicer looking bike would make it suck any less. And I certainly wouldn't want to put 30k a year on a thumper with no counterbalancer.

WillW

With regards to the things I haven't done...I don't care how new and awesome it is, the laws of physics still apply to it and things will break like on it like on any other bike. When they do, I'd rather they be on my beater than my weekend ride. If you've got the cash to make it happen and you care enough, that's great.

a) you've never owned one
 ... obviously
b) you don't know anyone who does
 there aren't that many around
c) you haven't been around this forum for long
 Lurking member since 2008
d) you've entirely missed the whole ethos & history of RE
 Read about it extensively,  and everything I have read points to the previous generation of bullets as being diametrically opposed to the mere concept of American rush-hour

No need to take personal offense, I'm not dissing on y'all's favorite bike, as I am a huge fan. Otherwise I wouldn't be here. Instead I am merely offering a suggestion to someone who may not want to drop 6 large every four years on two-wheel transportation. If you don't agree with it, that's totally fine; different people have different wants and needs. I happen to have multiple.
2000 KLR650 - Clack Clack the Sorry Green Bastard
2009 Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 01:55:16 am
hey fox aren;t u in philly?  if so i believe we had this conversation about your commute...u were really excited about a c5 but i guess reality set in....assuming i'm talking to the right fellow...that commute u have is really that bad.....they don't understand as i have your commute plotted in my brain...yeah it suck big time..no fun on anything...maybe if it flew ..
Oh Magoo you done it again

sjbiat

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 03:01:10 am
My experience - I work hard every day, and I truly welcome the interludes (like getting to and from work) when I get to ride around on my C5.  (I have only a very short commute now, but in the past I did 40 mi each way on my BMW).  We need some fun and fantasy each day.

-Stephan

stephan
09 C5 with Cozy sidecar now
formerly
97 Motoguzzi
94/02 Ural
85 BMW R80
64 BMW R60/Hollandia/Steib
61 BMW R69/Watsonian
60 Pugeot

Fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 03:08:17 am
GreenMachine

Yeah, that was me. I guess maybe I hadn't considered that the OP's commute might be leisurely and smooth, and thus easy on the bike.

I'm definitely still excited about the C5, but I'm leaning towards not commuting with it. My ride is so hard that my license plate literally split apart at the corner. The plate is now held up at an angle by zip ties and bent paper clips as retainers, since the zipties fall apart (no, it's not the suspension bottoming the plate out on the rear tire - my rear spring is so firm that the bike doesn't sink even an inch when I sit on it).

When it really comes down to it, I guess if there are nice backroads involved in your commute, then go for it. I'm just cynical because of how super terrible my route is.

And yes, I would pay a lot of money for a flying motorcycle.
2000 KLR650 - Clack Clack the Sorry Green Bastard
2009 Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 05:15:33 am
Great thread- Olhogrider, my wife yearns for the day she can have the sexual persuasiveness of a well oiled enfield... and she ain't half bad!

I've got a new (but 2009) Electra AVL... for any newcomers that's ancient history compared to the UCE's we're talking about.  I have about a 40 mile each way commute from Baltimore to DC.  Right now I take the train but I'm counting the days til it's just warm enough and just dry enough to take the thumper on my daily commute.  I know it'll take a long time, and the route is about 40 mph on average (i'm avoiding suicide and I-95) but it's a way to get the riding itch outta my system before it's pitch black outside.  Not going to be an everyday thing either because I do think it'd put a hurting on the maintenance (of any bike).  My AVL isn't built to go 60-65 for sustained periods, and is also known to be much less 'trouble free' than the UCE's in general.  

Since I have your similar commute and you're getting a 'higher performance' and 'more modern/highly engineered' machine I'd say that I'd definitely ride the he!! outta that bike.  If you're getting an enfield you know you're going to have to be more involved with it than any modern jap bike, and riding it that hard that regularly will keep you on your toes maintenancing any bike.  Also, not sure of the break-in period on UCE's but I won't dare take by AVL 65 mph til the 1000 mile mark.

just my 2 cents... or more, or whatever.   ride on!

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 08:50:26 am
Don't take offence Fox. I know I'm forthright, but not to be mistaken for hostilty.
KE100 asked whether the UCE was up to a 45 mile commute. You suggested not, I disagreed, still do. I guess I was assuming reasonable road surfaces and a degree of traffic, not a war zone. Personally if I had to travel that far to work I'd take the car, and use the bike (any bike) when in the mood and in good weather. That's just me.
My bike's not a bone shaker. It really will do sixty-seventy all day without complaint and without vibrating the arse off me. Or thump along nicely in traffic. And give me 82mpg too.
Plenty of Youtube clips of RE Bullets trekking over the Himalaya laden like camels. And take a look at an INDIAN rush hour..... :o
They'll go anywhere, built for it, tough. The UCE bikes are even better.
Just ride it.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 03:47:02 pm by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 11:37:45 am
I personally feel, people are underestimating C5 and it's workability.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: March 10, 2011, 01:09:00 pm
Yes they are.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

ke100

• Scooter
Reply #27 on: March 10, 2011, 03:38:36 pm
Thanks so much for all the replies. I want to clarify my commute and hopefully clear up any miss understanding. I live in  eastern NC. My commute to work is mostly back roads 55 mph speed limit and 2 lane. When I get close to Jacksonville it is four lane but still 55 mph. No I would not ride every day, just as many as I can  ;D. I commute mostly with a Geo metro (great gas mileage) but would like to ride more. My ke100 2 stroke will make the trip, but traffic doesnot like you doing 50 mph in a 55 zone. So I thought the c5 or g5 would make a great bike to ride to work, weather permitting. It will comfortably cruise 60 mph, that is all I need. I do not want to overwork the bike, that is why I wanted to know if it would comfortably cruise 60 mph. And thanks again for all the replies, this forum has been great.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: March 10, 2011, 03:40:35 pm
That sounds like a prefect ride for a C5, mine cruises at 60 just fine.
Iron Butt Association

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: March 10, 2011, 05:16:38 pm
fox commute is a war zone...no fun in it at all...its just bad all around..he needs a cage around his bike and he takes a pounding from the potholes in Philly...this section of town where he drives is even worst than N.Y.C. driving in rush hour traffic...The new Enfield would hold better than my iron but I have to agree that its just a matter of time before something bad happen to it or him...nothing worst than your bike getting the bad end of the stick...sorry to hear about that commute fox but your gut instincts are the best way to go and if u did buy a new one, u be worrying about it vice riding it down memory lane in Philly every day..whose knows u might even move down the road where u be more comfortable in your decision..
Oh Magoo you done it again