Author Topic: K&N air filter testing  (Read 23383 times)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #60 on: February 21, 2011, 07:04:58 pm
I think the best answer is the stock filter and plastic cover, eventually  K&N will make a filter to fit properly. If not I'll try the method Shappers came up with.
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,8810.0.html
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #61 on: February 21, 2011, 07:12:59 pm
Nigel, I originally was just looking to eliminate the leaks and reclaim the box as storage if I could.  I didn't really care about free-er flowing.  Checking my mileage, it looks like the conical S&B filter may be causing too much turbulence and that's not good.  I have to try a few more tanks of fuel to be sure it seems.

When the prescribed filter from K&N for stock replacement didn't seem to fit I was just curious if others would, which is why I looked at the Corvair filter.  So I could buy the $35 K&N or the $10 standard paper filter to test the theory.  I tried the paper and it seems to work, so a K&N probably will too.  I don't care too much about more flow with the larger paper filter but I'm sure some do and it's also a good thing to know if you're stranded with a clogged filter or they're on back order.

All said, I'm thinking about getting a free flow exhaust and it seems natural to pair that with a free flow intake.  So some of this research is for me and some is just for the good of the community.  Plus I love screwing around in the garage with my bike whenever I get the chance ;)

Scott

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #62 on: March 13, 2011, 03:30:10 am
Nigel, unlike most vehicles, the RE pulls air from the inside to the outside of the filter. 

The hinge is on the clean side of the air stream.  As such, anything that gets sucked through goes right to the throttle body.

Is this true for all RE bikes?  Mine (350 Electra, UCE engine) sure looks like it sucks in fresh air through a hole in the top-inside of the triangle box, then pulls through the filter, whose interior covers the hose leading out to the airbox, but I'm pretty new at this.

Just checking before I try and get a free-er flowing filter in there myself...thanks for any advice.

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #63 on: March 13, 2011, 02:45:31 pm
I meant to reply here but because I followed a link from this thread, my reply ended up being posted on the "conical filter thread"  No matter---itis all about filters, but if interested see my musings and a reply to them there.   Thanks, Nigel.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #64 on: March 13, 2011, 04:27:28 pm
No worries; thanks.  Ordered the e-0900 filter and am sure it'll work fine--I think my 350 even has the correct-sized mounting plate already.

Sort of a dumb question to ask, because whatever's going on in the box, replacing the filter with another, better filter in the same location pretty much means you've covered your bases, right?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #65 on: March 13, 2011, 05:43:42 pm
Scot    Thanks for your reply   I got away from this thread for a few weeks and didn't get back to it until today.   Some life happened in between I guess.    Just a thought about the plastic air box sealing upgrades.  It seems to me that someone earlier suggested this might fix the poor sealing of the air filter endplates itsetlf:  I don't think this would be the case.  It would only stop outside air from getting sucked direct from the higes to the intake manifold.  Air slipping though under the rubber seals on the air filter unit would still happen if the sscrew down didn't tighten and seal.   Regarding the larger diameter (3 1/2 or 3 5/8) fillters , would another metal plate under the stock plate on the same mounting screw 9which might have to be longer ) fit and work?   .  Or what about getting the "lid" meant for the larger  filter unit (whatever machine it was meant for)  So long as the centre hole is the same size, a larger diameter lid to seal to the free end of the filter should work perfectly  and if they make the filter that size, someone must be making the lid.   Is there a rubber washer sealing the centre screw that holds the filter lid in place?  Nigel

Nigel,

I don't have my retrofit yet so I can't answer questions definitively but it may seal better on top too.  We'll have to wait and see.

The larger diameter Corvair filter fits and seals perfectly with the stock cover plate.  Even though the plate does not cover the entire filter the edge of the plate seats nicely in the middle of the rubber on the filter.  The filter is a larger diameter so it doesn't sit on the base flanges or get spread apart by them, it seal just fine there too.  It's also a smidgen taller so the stock top plate holds it in place more snugly than the stock filter.  I'm sure if you got the larger top plate (from the Machismo I think) that would work too.  If you just tape the hinge this makes a very good seal all around.

No, there is no rubber washer under the 13mm bolt that holds the top plate and I've never seen one on any car I've ever worked on.  Pressure alone here is enough to make a decent seal.

Scott

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #66 on: March 13, 2011, 06:15:44 pm
If enough of us e-mail K&N asking for a proper size filter, they just might start producing one, I did my part.       tech@knfilters.com
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #67 on: March 13, 2011, 07:41:31 pm
If enough of us e-mail K&N asking for a proper size filter, they just might start producing one, I did my part.       tech@knfilters.com

Me too.  Only takes a minute to send an e-mail.

scott