Author Topic: Too soon to start 300 mi maintenance?  (Read 5402 times)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 03:23:01 pm
You can get in-line fuel filters at any auto or motorcycle parts store.  They're on cards behind the counter.  The cone type have a direction, so look closely for the arrow.

I don't get how a simple beam-type torque wrench just keeps spinning.  What the heck are you doing?  BTW- you need a 6 to 8 inch socket extension to get to the head bolts.  And don't forget to find TDC first.
Run what ya brung

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 03:52:53 pm
Thanks for the pointers, and yes I've got a socket extender.  Do you have a specific filter you recommend?  I was writing on that one thread about the vintage glass filters and they seem like more trouble than they're worth... was leaning towards the inline filters, but i like the magnetic element idea.  Don't care too much really, just want something simple that works.  Any thoughts? ::)

tanker

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 11:13:38 pm
Almost any filter will be an improvement over no filter at all.  What I found is that there isn't a lot of room to put a larger filter without creating some odd bends in the fuel line.  I used a small lawn mower engine inline gas filter so that it splices in line without adding additional fuel line.  I think I found the filter at my local AutoZone.
Brian
2006 Electra-X
1994 Goldwing

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 12:30:02 am
thats what i use/small inline filter...its nothing fancy but does the job and been great for 4 yrs now..the fuel line stays intact with the filter spliced in the middle..
Oh Magoo you done it again

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: March 21, 2011, 03:02:01 am
Ok, so I just got an inline filter (the cone shaped thing) but haven't put it in yet.  Didn't know what size to get but the guy at the motorcycle shop said 1/4" is most common.  Is my '09 Electra AVL fuel line a 1/4"?   If not, what size should I ask for?

Also, I read up a little about the 'Pittsburgh' Brand torque wrenches, and the click style torque wrenches in general...  most of the click style wrenches need to be  freed up before they'll release in normal use.  I put the square drive of the wrench in a vise and pulled and jammed all my weight onto it and it still wouldn't budge.  I also read that these pittsburgh brand torque wrenches (the ones you get from harbor freight) are sometimes more trouble than they're worth... ie: the amount you'd save buying a 30 dollar wrench compared to an 80 dollar one is nothing compared to what you'd potentially pay replacing broken engine parts, etc.  Needless to say I took it back and I'm gonna pick up a craftsman torque wrench next pay check-

Fuel line size? :o

cheers,

chuck

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, 01:28:41 pm
mine u i have a 06 iron but i have the cheapie pie shaped fuel filter from cmw....i think its like 5 bucks...funny i brought a fuel filter for my zero turn new holland lawn mower and it was pretty much the same thing....their is a small arrow that shows the direction flow....they are small enough to splice in without affecting the fuel line placement/direction....
Oh Magoo you done it again

tanker

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: March 21, 2011, 02:47:20 pm
The fuel line is probably 1/4" or pretty close.  The next time you shut down the engine, close the fuel tap first and let the engine run long enough to empty the fuel line.  Then just remove the line and measure the inside diameter (the outside diameter can vary depending on the wall thickness of the tubing) and take it with you when you buy a fuel filter.  Be sure to purchase a couple small clamps to secure the fuel line to the filter - it may be a snug fit, but better safe than sorry.
Brian
2006 Electra-X
1994 Goldwing

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: March 21, 2011, 03:38:09 pm
I don't think you can get a decent clicker type torque wrench for anywhere near $80.  I would consider $180 an economy model.  Do not buy them at yard sales.  Periodically, they need to be re-calibrated and that alone costs a major bundle partly because of postage.  No one local does it.   Also, they tend not to be accurate below abround 20lbs. 
A Sears beam type that goes up to around 50lb is perfect. 

In my humble opinion, if you pay more than $1.29 for a fuel filter- you paid too much.
As long as you're measuring the gas line, just take the whole thing to the store.  Your filter fitting should press in tight and neer leak.  You may need to cut about an inch out to compensate for the filter.
Run what ya brung

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 04:12:56 pm
So what does everyone do about getting a torque wrench?  Just save up hundreds of dollars for one?  Make friends with a local garage and borrow tools?

I need to retorque my head bolts soon and don't want to mess it up-  is this something you can do with a normal wrench and just be very careful to stop at any resistance?

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #24 on: March 21, 2011, 04:17:15 pm
Harbor Freight -$19.99  was $14.99 when I got mine a few years ago.

=====>LINKY

You can also borrow such things at autoparts stores....

=====>LINKY
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 04:22:09 pm by The Garbone »
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: March 21, 2011, 04:35:17 pm
Thanks, yeah my harbor freight one is the one i just returned cause it wouldn't release... i'm just lucky I didn't try to torque anything delicate with it before noticing something was awry.  Rental is a good idea though...

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: March 21, 2011, 05:53:04 pm
Here are some from Sears.  They're called a "Beam" style.  You'll get better accuracy if you get one that does not go over 50 ft lb.  I didn't look hard, but it shold be under $50.
Before you use it, loosen the bolt a quarter turn with a socket first.  Doing that gives you a more accurate reading.
Run what ya brung

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: March 21, 2011, 07:59:19 pm
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00944690000P?prdNo=6&blockNo=6&blockType=G6

Thanks for the tip... researched a bit online and found that these Beam type torque wrenches are usually cheaper and more reliable/accurate than the clicker ones and they don't need to be calibrated (or not as frequently??)

Also I read that in the clicker types, it's most accurate near the middle of its range, ie: don't use a 50 ft/lb torque wrench to torque to 49 ft lb if you're going for accuracy.

So one question now for accuracy:  I have 3/8" drive sockets.  Am I better off getting that above wrench which goes up to 75 ft lb, or should I get a quarter inch drive wrench that might be more accurate at lower torque settings?  In the second instance I'd need a socket adapter but I don't think that would effect the accuracy... correct if i'm wrong. 

Thanks!

Chuck

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: March 21, 2011, 11:00:46 pm
My personal experience which is very limited says that I don't need a torque wrench for anthing more than a range of approximately 20 to 50 ft lb.   I haven't worked on my Caterpillar or Sherman tank in years...
I can't imagine ever needing the delicacy of a 1/4 inch drive torque wrench.  Unless you plan to take clock repair classes.
Run what ya brung

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: March 22, 2011, 05:05:23 pm
Cool, thanks. 

So I put the fuel filter on today... turns out I had the right one.  My '09 Enfield has a 1/4" fuel line.  (1/4" refers to the flow diameter, as the thick walls of the fuel line make it appear much larger than 1/4".  Got it on with the clamps and all.  Just checking that I put it in the right spot, but it's supposed to go between the fuel tank tap and the carb, right?