Author Topic: what the heck is happening?  (Read 13405 times)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #30 on: March 04, 2011, 04:17:24 am
In Seattle my garage is damp during this rainy season and the C5 is often moist, a breeding ground for pitting. 

Today I checked on it and there isn't anything to worry about right now.  I did put some wax (The nFIeld store foam stuff with carnueba) on the black bits as well as the wheels, just to coat them. 

Semichrome on the side casings brought back some original shine.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: March 04, 2011, 05:30:37 pm
that's what i love about the irons they really don't rust that much..sorry to hear about the c5's... ;D ;D ;D
Oh Magoo you done it again

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #32 on: March 04, 2011, 05:37:15 pm
Park one in my garage for the winter....  your  ;D will quickly turn to  >:(  

Want to put a tenner on it....?   ;)
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: March 04, 2011, 05:42:07 pm
yeah i know u right and mine sits for a good three months in dry garage with the other two bikes and the zero turn mower....screw the cars, they can take the rain, snow  and uv's....do i have priorities right or what..

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: March 04, 2011, 05:53:00 pm
Dry garage  ??!!  :o  I'd quite forgotten those two words could sit happily together   :D

Actually I spent the week taking the ivy off the walls, pressure-washing and water-sealing the roof, and hacking back the undergrowth round my sorry excuse for a garage.  It wont make it dry but it's got to be an improvement.
Meanwhile, whatever the conditions next winter, the bag storage idea works a treat - bike still gleaming and bone dry inside.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #35 on: March 04, 2011, 06:38:20 pm
that's what i love about the irons they really don't rust that much..sorry to hear about the c5's... ;D ;D ;D

That's because the pig iron lump of a cylinder acts as cathodic protection for every piece of metal that might corrode in a three block area! Hahaha! I have TWO sitting together, so the whole TOWN is probably safe .....  ::)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #36 on: March 04, 2011, 06:47:29 pm
Never had any rust problems with mine, must be a northern thang ;)
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: March 04, 2011, 10:00:43 pm
Meanwhile, whatever the conditions next winter, the bag storage idea works a treat - bike still gleaming and bone dry inside.

@Will:

Can you post a picture of your bike in the bag storage thingy !  I may consider it next time.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: March 05, 2011, 08:27:40 am
Singh  -  Three pics. The bag is tied off at the back with a re-usable cable-tie. You don't have to suck air out with a vacuum, just squeeze out the excess so the dessicant has less air to dry out. The dessicant is on the floor between the wheels. Humidity indicator on seat (just a card with graded colour strips).
It's a bit tricky to get the bike in the bag and on its stand on your own - I suspended the bag from a beam, but easier with a helper. Heavy duty plastic but can be punctured. Easily repaired with tape. Bike must be dry. Piece of wood required for centre stand to go on.

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #39 on: March 05, 2011, 11:58:59 am
My bike was put away last November for the winter.
I did'nt clean it, it went away dirty, but I lathered it up with ACF50, on top of the dirt.
Last week I cleaned the lot of using "Muck Off".
The bike has come up like new. Just waiting now for the temp., to rise to get out and ride. 8)

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #40 on: March 05, 2011, 08:30:41 pm
I always clean mine after shooting  ;)
But I do find cleaning guns alot more relaxing then cleaning bikes  ;D
Agreed, but it's a lot harder to shoot yourself when your cleaning your bike. ;)
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: March 06, 2011, 01:52:53 am
willw: if u can just suck it a bit more it might collapse and then u can put it under the bed...that's what my wife does with the clothes that we no longer use for the season...shrink them and store away...man does that stuff compress...it reconstitutes itself too when u open it up... ;D ;D ;D ;D

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: March 06, 2011, 08:42:05 am
 :D  It'd be handy wouldn't it. Indoors is the ideal place for the bike over winter - shrunk or not. I hadn't entirely ruled it out until the bag idea came along (indoors that is - not shrunk...)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: March 08, 2011, 08:31:44 pm
Singh  -  Three pics. The bag is tied off at the back with a re-usable cable-tie. You don't have to suck air out with a vacuum, just squeeze out the excess so the dessicant has less air to dry out. The dessicant is on the floor between the wheels. Humidity indicator on seat (just a card with graded colour strips).

It's a bit tricky to get the bike in the bag and on its stand on your own - I suspended the bag from a beam, but easier with a helper. Heavy duty plastic but can be punctured. Easily repaired with tape. Bike must be dry. Piece of wood required for centre stand to go on.

@Will:

Thanks.  Your bike looks safe.  

Look at the silencer of my G5  - Throughout the length of the pipe it is full of rust spots on the side facing the chain and the underside  :(.

Anyone else seen this on your bike ?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 09:12:11 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: March 09, 2011, 08:59:23 am
I guess it's getting the worst of the weather and road conditions down there. You may find that a surprising amount will polish out with something like Autosol, then you could give it a coat of ACF50 (you can rub it on with a rag).
My stock silencer has been resting, uncovered, on a rafter right under the garage roof since I fitted the Goldie. It's still in good shape. The Goldie had a few very small rust spots, mostly top & side, which were easily polished out with Autosol. These from condensation in the garage. The underside is ok.

Spring has arrived in Devon and the bike is now out of its bag and on the road again. Three glorious 100 mile rides already. Ran a bit rough for the first couple of miles, but back to its former glory very quickly. It keeps sneaking up to seventy when I think I'm doing sixty, and seems quite relaxed about it. But I'm starting to keep an eye on the speedo until I'm re-aclimatised  - a lot of harum scarum curves round these parts...... :o
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 09:18:56 am by WillW »