Author Topic: what the heck is happening?  (Read 13402 times)

donatelos

• Scooter
on: March 01, 2011, 06:33:36 pm
Hi all, I rode my C5  classic last week in some dour weather and enjoyed so much stayed out later than intended so when got home it was dark and late so into garage it went meaning to hose crap off next night after work well sadlly ended up on a breakdown for 5 days 12+ hrs so today was the first chance to give bike a clean ,opened garage and thought some toe rag had swopped my two month old bike for a piece of crap the engine cases were pitted beyond believe the wheel rims a mass of heavy rust especially around spoke nipples the side stand and foot brake arm coverd in rust, forks also pitted badlly   all this on a 8 week old bike!! Gonna take a age to polish it to some resemblance of it's former self if possible surely this is not acceptable on a new £5000.00 motorcycle this day and age, dont get me wrong I love riding the thing but I mean riding not spending more time cleaning maybe should of got the C5 millitary without the chrome :'(. Don
life is not a rehersal  theres no second chance  so don't hurt anyone  and follow your dreams

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 06:44:55 pm
Had the roads been salted for ice?
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 06:46:29 pm
I just got a very bad feeling.  Time to slip out to the shed and check out the slug. 
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

raycopper

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 06:54:30 pm
Get yourself some ACF50 and use after each wash. Been riding salty roads in the UK, and has kept stuff like this to a minimum

Ray
2010 C5 - Red

donatelos

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 07:03:36 pm
sprayed bike with that  stuff liberally  soon as got bike and repeated couple of times ,the road was wet due to pretty heavy rain so thought any salt should of been washed away as roads hadn't been treated in awhile ,councils don't spend unless necessary, however must agree can't think of anything else to cause this sort of corrosion, was just wondering if anybody else experienced this sort of thing,it near broke my heart seeing that mess.Don
life is not a rehersal  theres no second chance  so don't hurt anyone  and follow your dreams

raycopper

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 07:12:54 pm
Can understand that  :( I must have been lucky. Worse thing I've had was slight rust around the spoke nipples. My bike is kept outside, and I never cover a wet bike, and spray around ACF50 after a wash. Hope you get it sorted soon

Ray
2010 C5 - Red

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 09:34:41 pm
the same thing happened to a suzuki i had. road salt on a feb ride.  polished and polished .... never looked good again ..it  can happen to any bike.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

donatelos

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 10:58:50 pm
had 4 susies an they were prone to rust if not carefull but nothing like this also owned Guzzi's the last 13yrs a bike a lot of people slag off and can honestly say never a prob with chrome or mechanical  woes  however maybe I been a bit unlucky but r I will make sure theres plenty of  protective spray on the shiny bits from now on thou  dont think it will ever recover it's former glory.Don

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 12:55:07 am
So sorry to hear about all the rust!!! :( They must have some bad ass ice melt over there in Wales or you got a bad batch of chrome. I would notify your dealer and see what they say. I hope you get her all fixed up pretty again!! 

Bullet.wagon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 01:29:02 am
It's a shame all metal goes back to where it comes from. Polish,polish,replace parts or  turn her into a military.
2005 RE Military
2000 RE 350

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 02:20:59 am
You gotta remember, none of the aluminum has any clear coat on it. You have to wipe her down just like a gun . I use WD-40, or anything like it.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 11:08:01 am
Sorry to hear it Don. See my recent post - "RUST".
Inspecting my bike after several months in a damp garage with a dust cover on gave me a bit of a shock too! Like you say - it's a heart-breaking moment.
I have at last brought it back to almost its former glory, although I had to replace the mirrors (rusted to buggery). The wheels had small pits which came out easily, but most of the rest of the chrome - tank & mudguards - was OK (regularly waxed). The Golstar exhaust had just a few minor pits, easily dealt with. Downpipe was ok. Brake pedal & side stand were well pitted, but fairly easily restored. Aftermarket chrome rack/sideframes pitted but not too bad - I'm leaving it off until I need the saddlebags for trips away. These, and the leather tool roll, had mildew. Some paint lifting from parts of the frame, now sqirted with ACF50. The alloy engine covers etc are pitted alas, and will never look new again, but still shine up nicely with a bit of elbow grease. The bike (11 month old G5 DL) is now gleaming and sealed in a bag with plenty of dessicant and a humidity readout, until the sun comes out again.
A hard lesson. I'll be a lot more vigilant and liberal with the wax in future.
Or I might just crate it and ship it out to Australia and go live with my bro.
Year-round riding weather and no corrosion worries. Imagine. Bliss...... :)

Think yourself lucky you didn't buy the new Bonnie, which needs to be washed and dried after every ride or the warranty is void!!  I kid you not..... :(
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 11:23:15 am by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

donatelos

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 04:24:49 pm
You seriously saying wash every ride or void warranty? How the heck can that be proved and I would read that as "well my product finish is crap so if you don't wash each time it will fall apart" and here's me thinking it's 2011 and metallurgy is so advanced to 50yr ago when brit bikes were ruling,at least Europe,that clause would stop me buying any bike it was intended for,well off for a polishing experience now  an I hate that I just want to ride on this  nice day.Don

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 05:44:44 pm
Yes it's true. Scandalous aint it. See for yourself:

www.reviewcentre.com/reviews92495.html
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 06:11:02 pm
Ick!  I'm scared to clean mine now after riding for a few months in the rain.  Who knows what's lurking under the dirt?

Scott