Author Topic: Cocktail shaker muffler  (Read 8441 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
on: February 27, 2011, 09:47:18 pm
Anyone tried one of these?

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?productId=p433826

I really like the looks of it.  I was considering the EFI muffler but the aesthetics just don't do it for me.  Same for the upswept.  There was that long fishtail one I posted before but this one looks really sexy.  I found a video of a non-upswept version on a G5 on you tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_x4gyKHabM

Scott

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 11:36:07 pm
Looks a lot like a Goldstar muffler. He say he added a bit of pipe so it wouldn't be too short. I say for that price, go for it. If you don't like it you could always sell it. I'm getting the upswept RE one but I just like the looks of it. To me it screams 1950's.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 12:37:56 am
 I ordered from them several years ago. Customer service was great and order processing and shipping was fast.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 01:10:24 am
That's always been one of my favourite aftermarket exhausts. I put a couple of 'em on a Square Four Ariel and they sounded just schweeeet! I'm thinkin' it'd be a natural for the Enfield. I think the Atlas is going to end with a couple of them just for fun ......
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 02:56:35 am
It sounds quite loud.  Is it an open pipe?
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 03:16:48 am
Yeah Bob, how loud is it?  I saw some internal pics of one online and it looks like mostly open with a restrictor plate.  I'm not sure if there's any fiberglass packing in the wide part but the baffle is removable so I figure I could modify it to be quieter if need be. 

I listened to a few bikes online and most of them sounded nice and not all blatty.  For some reason I have been losing touch with my quiet ways and I'm kinda in the mood for something a little louder.  Must be cabin fever :)

OlHog, thanks for noticing that he added some pipe.  I didn't notice that.  Something I may need to do.  They give good measurements of the pipe so I could measure and guesstimate how much.

Thanks everyone,

Scott

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 05:12:08 am
We put the RE Reverse cone on a C5 for kicks. It was way loud. Pretty much a straight thru.
The RE upturned muffler looks much better in person. I didn't care for it's looks at first but now, it looks right and sounds right. Louder than the stock can yet not offensive. Sounds like a motorcycle.
We took the reverse cone off after we looked at each other and we were all winceing.
Pretty sure we an beat the Dennis Kirk price. If interested, give me a yell or email and I'll check on Tuesday.
Al@bmwoffresno.com
559-292-2269
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 05:14:53 am by Tri750 »
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 11:25:46 am
Yeah Bob, how loud is it?  I saw some internal pics of one online and it looks like mostly open with a restrictor plate.  I'm not sure if there's any fiberglass packing in the wide part but the baffle is removable so I figure I could modify it to be quieter if need be. 

I listened to a few bikes online and most of them sounded nice and not all blatty.  For some reason I have been losing touch with my quiet ways and I'm kinda in the mood for something a little louder.  Must be cabin fever :)

OlHog, thanks for noticing that he added some pipe.  I didn't notice that.  Something I may need to do.  They give good measurements of the pipe so I could measure and guesstimate how much.

Thanks everyone,

Scott

They weren't awful on the Square-4 ..... I've used them on the old Brits in the past - and I don't particularly recall "loud" like the gut shaking, ear piercing Dunstall meggy's that I used on the Lightning .... They ARE straight thru, however, they have generous rill-baffling to keep the crackle out .....
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 03:49:25 pm
Hmmmm.....  Might be worth a look then.

Scott

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 06:53:34 pm
We put the RE Reverse cone on a C5 for kicks. It was way loud. Pretty much a straight thru.
The RE upturned muffler looks much better in person. I didn't care for it's looks at first but now, it looks right and sounds right. Louder than the stock can yet not offensive. Sounds like a motorcycle.
We took the reverse cone off after we looked at each other and we were all winceing.
Pretty sure we an beat the Dennis Kirk price. If interested, give me a yell or email and I'll check on Tuesday.
Al@bmwoffresno.com
559-292-2269

I say support your local dealer !!

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 07:20:52 pm
Al is my dealer.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 07:31:07 pm
I say support your local dealer !!

Always my first impulse. they treat me very well.  I just don't dig the looks of the EFI or Upswept muffler so much.  If I do go for one of those I'll buy it an my local spot.

Scott

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 09:34:30 pm
This one is a nicer qualty, fully dis-assemblable, and is longer too, so it won't need an extender pipe.  That one on the G5 is ugly.  It's only 1 3/8" so it will need a reducer but I can get a shop to fab that pretty cheap.

Scott

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 11:04:30 pm
  I did that on my wifes' Electra..sounds very period correct.  Nice thump to the exhaust now.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 12:27:36 am
Which muffler?  Loud?  Too loud?

Thanks,
Scott