Author Topic: another dumb question  (Read 4147 times)

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
on: February 02, 2008, 01:25:10 am
Assuming an otherwise strict adherence to the run in schedule, is their any reason not to change the exhaust and filter for freer breathing (and the attendant carb tuning) right off the bat?   Chuck.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 01:56:12 am
If you strictly follow the break in you will be fine. However don't just change the air filter. The air box supports the intake side of the carb. Remove it and the now unsupported carb will vibrate badly. This  will cause the gas to froth. Then it won't mix gas and air properly or consistently. Next the rubber manifold will break and the carb will fall off. I am not kidding. I have seen this on many other bikes. I often fabricate a brace for the filter side of the carb(s) to stop the frothing. A much better choice would be to go with the 30mm Amal kit. It has a solid flange mount and does not have that vibration problem. This carb and pipe together is an excellent upgrade. But remember the break in!!!

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 02:23:08 am
Thanks Vince. That's what I thought. I mean, if the idea is to keep heat to minimum, the lean nature of the stock setup seems completely contrary to this. You know, I was sorta hoping that YOU would answer this; your mention of the vibration issue is just the sort of read-between-the-lines and answer the unasked but no less important question that makes this site so great.   Chuck.

2017 Triumph T120

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 04:17:56 am
Chuck -

I'm sure Vince, HRAB, RE1, et.al., may weigh in on this one, but if your Bullet is still under warranty, I'd discuss the mods you want to do with your dealer to make sure they'll still cover you in case of "misadventure".  My folks were OK with me doing a muffler/carb re-jet (though they preferred I have them do it), but said if I started in with electronic ignition, carb changes, rockers, 535 kit, lapped head, etc., we might have "issues"... I ended up leaving the mechanicals bone-stock during my warranty year...  did a by-the-book run-in and got a little over 3,000 miles on the clock.  I had cosmetic things to change and plenty of regular maintenance stuff to fix/learn/fuss with, so I just collected the bits I wanted to add during the year.  Now that it's snow-time, I've got projects lined front wheel to rear wheel  to see me through till spring. 

As it turns out, I've decided that I'm probably gonna keep the motor stock except for muffler/carb/PAV removal.  I like the look of the stock airbox... haven't decided yet if I'll do the "K&N-in-a-box" mod. 

I had a two-page list of mechanical mods I though I needed to do before my bike even arrived.  Now that we've had 16 months and 5,300 miles together, stock seems to be just fine...

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 06:37:11 pm
I'm pretty much down the same line as you guys.  I've lost the PAV system, the heat cone converter thing from the header pipe, up jetted the carb to get a richer running condition, and I'm still thinking about what I want to do with hte intake.  I really like the look of the stock filter box.  Why would you take off anything that was chrome??? :o

The only mods still under consideration are the "Goldstar" style exhaust and the air filter thing.  Oh yeah, and I'll probablky replace the goofy looking turn signals when I can.

I'm not concerned about warranty on mine.  I wouldn't trust the dealer to do anything to the bike.  Nothing personal, it's just that if I do it myself, I know for sure what's been done - right, wrong or otherwise.

But, if you do care about your warranty, I'd suggest doing what Chuck said and check with your dealer about it before you just dive in.
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 12:39:09 am
Whoa boys, the question I posed was purely an academic one. Probably on the minds of many greenies like me. but thanks to all for weighing in. By the way ,does K&N make a filter to fit the stock airbox? I like the look too.

2017 Triumph T120

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 02:38:05 am
Well... K & N don't MAKE a filter that fits the stock airbox, but they have one that can me MADE to fit it...

One of the members posted the procedure on the Bulletech Yahoo group:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Bulletech/files/

Look for the file titled "K&NInstallation.jpg".  I think Dan Holmes of DRS originally drew it up.

Somwhere, I've got the K&N model number... I'll see if I can find it.

'07 Classic - Stumpy

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 03:00:33 am
Found it -

K&N # RC-2770

'07 Classic - Stumpy

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 03:12:06 am
I had to join the group (am awaiting approval of the moderator). Thanks for the link, Mike, (you too stumpy). :D

2017 Triumph T120

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 04:45:40 am
    I am a member there and use the digest mode, so I get a collection of messages. It works out quite well.

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii