Author Topic: Throttle Problems???  (Read 4263 times)

eae0164

• Scooter
on: February 03, 2008, 01:12:25 am
Was wondering if anyone could help me out with a little problem. When riding my 2000 Bullet Military, if I give it 60%- full throttle, it stutters bad. I had the carb off after this started, and cleaned it out real good, but no change. I've also tried adjusting both the air and idle screws, still no change. I also checked the timing , and as best I could tell, thats fine too. Any help on this would be appreciated. Also, I haven't made any mods that would cause this, it just started out of the blue. ??? :-\
2000 RE Military model

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 02:22:57 am
Well, at 60% throttle or so, the carb starts going to main jet only, timing should be on full advance. The air and idle screws shouldn't have any effect on high-throttle operation.  I would check all the simple stuff (like point gap and condition, clean plug), but it could be a stuck bob-weight on the advance, or a bit of crud in the main jet. 

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

eae0164

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 03:33:52 am
 I've got an electronic ignition , and I cleaned the carb, and I put in a new plug today, thats why its got me stumped. I wonder if it could be a problem with the distributor itself, or might a valve problem cause it to stutter and stumble?
2000 RE Military model

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 04:19:34 am
I've got an electronic ignition , and I cleaned the carb, and I put in a new plug today, thats why its got me stumped. I wonder if it could be a problem with the distributor itself, or might a valve problem cause it to stutter and stumble?

Is the battery 100%? If it's a Boyer electronic ignition they need a battery is real good shape or they start doing strange things.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

SRL790

• Grease Monkey
  • 1954 350
Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 04:47:27 am
I had a similar problem on my Bonneville running a Boyer ignition.  Turned out to be bad contacts in the ignition switch.  I think that a certain vibration frequency at whatever rpm was maybe  setting it off.  I'd check all of the electrical connections in the ignition circuit or jump a wire direct from the battery to the ignition unit and see if it goes away.
Andy Wiltshire
54 350 Bullet, 62 Jaguar MK II, 68 BSA Spitfire, 69 BSA Starfire
70 Bonneville, 71 Bonneville, 71 BSA B25T, 74 Jensen Healey
74 Honda XR75, 81 Yamaha MX80, 82 Suzuki GS1100G

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 02:52:26 pm
Put the points back in.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 11:22:27 pm

Is it a CV carb with a diaphram? If so, check to make sure that it has no tears and is in good condition. With the cover back on, manually raise it up and down to make sure there's no sticking.

Is your air filter breathing OK - clean, oil-free?

Not likely, but an easy one to eliminate: did you swap in a brand new spark plug?

Is the ignition cable secure? Vibration can do funny things - especially with thumpers, and 60% means it's running pretty good. Battery connections secure?

Matt

eae0164

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 12:55:23 am
 Thanks for all the info, everybody ;D. Looks like I've got a few things to check. At least the weather is decent down here in Tennessee, so I'll be able to test ride after I adjust it.
2000 RE Military model