Author Topic: 350cc UCE launched in India  (Read 14162 times)

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 01:38:08 am
while at school, i rode a bicycle regularly on the side of a county highway. provided, it's not interstate, but there were stoplights along the way, and i had to transfer into a traffic lane where semis and SUVs were going 60mph+ while the best i could do was somewhere around 15 without wind, and most of the time, the wind was heavy. and you know what? i found a sort of enjoyment out of those rides. i obviously don't represent everyone in my desire to tour in all environments and  situations, and if the new UCE engine can provide me with a capacity for interstate travel, the new UCE Bullet suddenly becomes my best friend. i'm a young scrappy college kid. i know i'm not the majority here, but because i'm young, there's no reason for me to ride these out of nostalgia, and i'm certainly not going to be riding a RE for looking tough, it's for aesthetic and utility, nothing more.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 02:47:07 pm
doomed1,
  Please understand that I mean no disrespect when I say that I think you would be happier with some other brand.  As Interstate worthy as it might be, I don't think a new model from RE would be a wise choice for a first bike.
  I would suggest you cut your teeth on something more proven like a Honda Rebel or Ninja 250R.  You would save yourself a wad of cash and still have a reliable, good performing bike.
  Just my 2 cents worth.
Good Luck,
Leonard
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Jon

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 12:57:01 am
Doomed

I think the UCE would make a great first bike. With old style handling it'll teach you to
ride rather than having the ABS and all the trick bits lull you into a false sense of security just before they dump you on your ear. It'll probably have just enough
reliability issues to let you learn how to look after it without having to spend
all your spare time fettling it.It's relatively cheap and certainly economical.It's not
quite as fuddy-duddy as the AVL but still looks classic enough to be really cool
and it's technology isn't as cantankerous or as geriatric as the iron Bullet

My head tells me I should buy one of these.My heart tells me I want an iron Bullet
with a 610 kit. I'll probably buy an AVL but if I were a scrappy college kid I'd
lust after the UCE.

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #18 on: July 12, 2008, 05:05:08 am
someone mentioned a Brough Superior copy. Try typing that or "Brough Superior replica" into your favorite search engine. I did and I think I have another bike to lust after.
   Of course, there is no way I could afford it. Maybe if I built it myself! 

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #19 on: July 12, 2008, 05:20:11 am
Try "Banquer Superior"

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: July 18, 2008, 05:14:53 am
Doomed

I think the UCE would make a great first bike. With old style handling it'll teach you to
ride rather than having the ABS and all the trick bits lull you into a false sense of security just before they dump you on your ear. It'll probably have just enough
reliability issues to let you learn how to look after it without having to spend
all your spare time fettling it.It's relatively cheap and certainly economical.It's not
quite as fuddy-duddy as the AVL but still looks classic enough to be really cool
and it's technology isn't as cantankerous or as geriatric as the iron Bullet

My head tells me I should buy one of these.My heart tells me I want an iron Bullet
with a 610 kit. I'll probably buy an AVL but if I were a scrappy college kid I'd
lust after the UCE.
yeah, that's basically my line of thinking. something that handles well, gives me something to maintain, and get me around, not to mention giving me an old school aesthetic to enjoy alone with it.

and to mr. applegate, yeah, i've heard of those things, and if it was in any way practical, i would have called him long ago, but those things cost 35 grand to start. my whole love of vintage style bikes started with Brough Superior, but alas, they're the Rolls Royce of Motorcycles and are exceedingly rare, but the purr of that engine, it just sends shivers down my spine. it's a beautiful thing really.