Author Topic: how to identify motors  (Read 1594 times)

ocho

• Scooter
on: February 25, 2011, 09:33:33 pm
Hello everybody ! name is Ocho, I am new to Enfields, and the forum. I like to post up instead of always searching the older posts that way I can introduce my self and get to know the regulars on the site. My last bike was a period correct build chopper with a 1964 triumph 650 twin (unit construction)  and a bonnie head, awsome bike, but I hated it, so that made it super easy to part it out. I am now the proud  new owner of something a bit more my style A MUTT ! just a hodge podge of parts, a down and dirty bobber ! I was told the motor was a 65' Royal Enfield 500, I would like some help with knowing how to know for sure, for my self exactly what Iam dealing with, for future repairs, as to what is interchangable and so on and so forth. looking forward to ridding this killer little hardtail as soon as Iam done with the "freshin' up clean up" and the weather decides to start playing nice.     So in short just looking to gain some basic usable knowledge and help from fellow "Enfield" ers' thanks. Ocho
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 09:45:04 pm by ocho »

ocho

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 10:56:50 pm
so i have identified the motor as a bsa royal star 500 twin not a royal enfield no to figure out what year

enfield freddy

• Grand Gearhead
  • old man riding an old bike
Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 07:05:29 pm
bsa royal star 500 twin

in a royal enfield frame?

if  so , photo,s please
arthritis hurts at my age!

ocho

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 08:24:07 pm
the frame is a sante double down tube hardtail with custom built motor mounts like i said its a mutt a mix a half breed  a bunch of parts put together i was told the motor was enfield but like i said i now have a visual conformation that it is a bsa royal star 500 twin just need to pin down the year

enfield freddy

• Grand Gearhead
  • old man riding an old bike
Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 08:55:23 pm
supply the engine number , and a friend at the BSAOC will run it thru for you
arthritis hurts at my age!