Author Topic: I GOT MINE!!  (Read 5365 times)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
on: February 25, 2011, 02:58:39 am
This morning after dropping my son at school I grabbed my riding gear and sped to SFO. Got on the flight to Fresno just as they were closing the door. On arrival, Tanner from BMW of Fresno picked me up and took me to their shop. After some check out and a check changing hands, I was on the road on my BLACK C5! What a beauty!

At 70 miles, I put in one gallon, activated the headlight switch, deactivated the sidestand switch and had a great burrito. At 150 miles the rain began. Thanks to my Aerostich gear, I stayed dry. Except my feet. I didn't snug my boot covers properly so they acted more like funnels.

225 miles all together. So why did I go that far when there is a dealer only 30 miles away? My local guy was supposed to have a black C5 last week. Then this week. Then sometime... He also didn't know if there was a back seat available or what exhaust options there were. A call to Big Al (he has posted here) informed me that Fresno had SIX REs including a black C5. Of course the carry the back seat. They would be happy to install it for me. Al was concerned about the weather and offered to deliver the bike for gas money or even meet me half way. I prefer to ride. Al was off today but Tanner was ready and willing to take care of me.

They have the upswept exhaust on display but I had already ordered the straight one from nfeildgear. Still "processing". Anybody need a ButtyBuddy rear seat? I ordered it when I thought there were no rear seats for C5s. Stupid "store" website.

I'll try to post a few pics.

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 03:03:45 am
Congrats and enjoy!

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 03:04:05 am
Congratulations, may you enjoy many k's sorry ,miles on the bike

Cheers  :)

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 03:16:12 am
Thanks! I was passing the town of Newman and I thought "I feel like a... "
Bullet at a Gun Club

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 03:16:25 am
The C5 in black!  It doesn't get any better than that.  The rear pillion is awesome and serves as a great loading platform. 

CONGRATULATIONS!

I think you'll be happy with the EFI silencer as much as you would be with the upswept muffler and its way cheaper, but see if you can get a heat shield to cover the clamp and give your Aerostich a chance to stay on your leg and not the pipe.  Ask me how I know...

Common advice:  Check all fittings, soon.  I found several that were loose, including the headbolt nuts on the exhhaust, and the side casing nuts (8mm).  You'll be surprised...  Blue threadlocker is your friend. 

Oh, don't forget the battery tender.

A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 03:18:51 am
I ride too much to need the tender, but I do have one. Got to go wipe off the rain and check all the fasteners. Back in  a bit.
 ;D ;D ;D

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 03:31:57 am
Nice bike, you'll enjoy it.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 03:37:53 am
Sneaky!
Sorry I missed you but glad you came today as Friday is supposed to be bad weather.
checklist:
Free t-shirt?
Spares kit?
Accy. Catalog?
Promise of a 10% discount on gear and accy. For 30 days?

If not, email or call me and we'll UPS to you.
Many thanks,
Big Al
Al@bmwoffresno.com
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 03:39:48 am
Oops!
There is a battery tender pigtail already installed. We do that to all bikes.
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 04:12:52 am
Sneaky!
Sorry I missed you but glad you came today as Friday is supposed to be bad weather.
checklist:
Free t-shirt?
Spares kit?
Accy. Catalog?
Promise of a 10% discount on gear and accy. For 30 days?

If not, email or call me and we'll UPS to you.
Many thanks,
Big Al
Al@bmwoffresno.com

The stars aligned and I made it! I threw the spares in a bag and bungeed them to the seat. I asked several times for an oil filter so I could change the break in oil soon. They said ok, but then we all forgot. T-shirt? nope. Catalog? nope.

Two flaws so far. I felt a slight wiggle every time I started. Traced it to a defect in the rear wheel. Looks like it wasn't welded quite right. Also the chrome is peeling from one mirror, but those have to go anyway. Nice view of my elbows. I'm thinking some nice chromed bar-end mirrors.

I really love this bike! I just wiped it all down. Nothing loose so far!

Oh yeah, the headlight was aimed at the moon. Probably set while on the centerstand with nobody sitting on it. Pulled out my screwdriver (included) and adjusted it. No part removal required!

For decades I  have seen letters to magazines begging for simple, standard motorcycles that include real tool kits, centerstands and all those things that used to be part of motorcycle ownership instead of plastic covered high tech rockets that can do "the ton" in 1st gear. Well folks, here it is. BTW, the United inflight magazine had a full page "article" (ad) for the Ural.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 04:35:29 am
Do yourself a big favor and go ride it through Kings canyon, if you haven't ridden there you love it, :D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 04:54:32 am
Do yourself a big favor and go ride it through Kings canyon, if you haven't ridden there you love it, :D

I have ridden there but that's in the wrong direction for me. Big Al mentioned the possibility of an RE gathering. Fresno is centrally located and could draw riders from SoCal, NorCal and even other states. I have been to a motorcycle gathering in Midpines, near Yosemite. Maybe time for a new thread?

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 05:09:23 am
You are making me miss riding the Joaquin valley, I used to stop at a little bar in Fountain Springs, I wonder if it's still there.
Iron Butt Association

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 05:22:38 am
Congrats Br OHG !!!

Many smiles per gallon to you  ;)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5