Author Topic: Bi-Starter lever travel  (Read 6665 times)

ChristopherRyan

• Christopher Ryan
  • Scooter
on: February 25, 2011, 02:32:01 am
Hi Guys,

I am getting my C5 ready for start up, having never actually started it yet.

Given winter conditions and my temptation to start the bike from time to time without running it, I took the battery as soon as I got it home. I am pretty strict with break in and starting a cold engine only to let it idle is not part of my plan.

I have to get it ready for the first turn of the key and push of the button. First, I will have to sort out the throttle cable, it binds and holds the throttle 3/4 open. Second, I will have to figure out why the Bi-Starter lever does not budge.

My questions are, "How much is the lever supposed to move?" and "Where might the problem be that is preventing the lever from moving?"

Thanks,
          Christopher.

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 02:45:25 am
Sorry to hear about your problems with your brand new bike! I would be quite upset if I received a brand new bike from a dealer and the throttle was sticking and the bi-starter was jammed, not to mention the other issues you had mentioned in earlier posts. I am not sure what is binding the lever, they are stiff and move about an inch and a half or so. I hope you get the problems fixed soon and the weather gets better so you can start enjoying these great bikes!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 06:58:18 am
Also, the bi-starter (can we please call it a choke?) does not stay in position.  It will snap back if you let go of it.  I've never had a bike like that before but that's how it's designed.

Disassemble the control cluster, see if it's the cable binding or the lever.

Scott

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 07:24:34 am
Christopher - Get that new bike back to the dealer and get it attended to! All that throttle cable binding is NOT normal for that bike and should have been attended to in the Pre-Delivery Inspection process. It could be downright dangerous.
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 04:20:39 pm
Also, the bi-starter (can we please call it a choke?) does not stay in position.  It will snap back if you let go of it.  I've never had a bike like that before but that's how it's designed.

Disassemble the control cluster, see if it's the cable binding or the lever.

Scott

Bi-starter?? I saw that in the owner's manual. The picture is not very clear. "Choke" has been an outdated term since the CV carb became popular. How about fast idle lever, since that is its function?

Dan

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 05:59:20 pm
That's the proper term, but it's just too long for someone as lazy as me to say ;)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 09:04:43 pm
That's the proper term, but it's just too long for someone as lazy as me to say ;)

It's the "Manual Bi-Starter Valve Cable Actuation Lever" according to the boys that put 'em together ......  ::) Say that first thing in the morning with half a stale doughnut and a swig of coffee in your mouth ....   ;D

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 09:08:39 pm
And it seems to increase rpm by almost 200. I think I'll tell people it is the compression release just to mess with them.  ;)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 09:13:48 pm
It would be cool to get some retro controls and use the compression release lever for that :)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 12:08:42 am
It would be cool to get some retro controls and use the compression release lever for that :)

Piece of cake - the old Amal choke/decomp lever will accept the cable and the length is about right ......

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 12:13:53 am
Hmmm..... that'd be nice to have the retro contols.  Those plastic pods are certainly one part of the bike that screams 21st century.  That and the O2 snesor/throttle body.  Maybe we could be like Triumph and make the throttle body look like a carb too :)

Scott

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 01:03:22 am
I thought the same thing. If the labels were off and the red and yellow plastics weren't so bright it would look more antique.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 01:10:49 am
A little masking tape and black spray paint will get rid of red and yellow swithches quite easily ;)
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 02:02:16 am
A little masking tape and black spray paint will get rid of red and yellow swithches quite easily ;)

Transformation will begin in 3 ................ 2 ................... 1 ..................... rattle-rattle-rattle-rattle-rattle-rattle-rattle ...................... ::)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 02:57:41 am
Go for it, mine  looks much better all black ;D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association