Author Topic: break in comments  (Read 3914 times)

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
on: February 03, 2008, 08:56:36 pm
    Just got back from a 34 miles ride and was pretty froze when I got home. Last night I fired up the Bullet to take a ride and had the smoking problem. I may have not left it at TDC, though I am trying to do that after every ride. It wouldn't stay running. I replaced the spark plug with one of two spares Vince gave me when I bought the bike. Thanks, Vince. After that it ran fine again. Think the plug was oil fouled. After a ride last night I made sure to park it at TDC. This morning it started okay and no bad smoking problem and it ran okay. Took a nice ride from Puyallup to Ruston (locals will be familiar with Ruston) and back going through downtown Tacoma.I checked the valves before starting it this morning, as when I came back from last nights ride they were tapping.But the adjustment seemed perfect.I could spin the pushrods and they had zero up and down play with the intake slightly harder to turn.That was totally cold. I'm at about 240 miles.I'll take it to Vice at 300 for the first service.The bike has used zero engine oil, or at least no noticeable change on the dipstick. And topped her off again and got 78.2 US mpg!!.As I was leaving the gas station an older guy was kind of rushing over to see what the hell I was riding I guess, but I was already out on the one way street, or I would have stopped to let him look at it and talk to him. The roads were pretty empty being superbowl Sunday and all. By the time I got home my hands and knees were hurting due to the cold. As I've been warned-when you take your Bullet for a ride its always a longer one than you planned on.

Jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 09:06:36 pm
Jon,  what's the thing about parking the bike at TDC?  What is that supposed to do for it?  I've been around more than a few motorcycles for more than a few days, but I never heard of doing that. 

Even my wife commented about how much longer it takes me to go places on my bike than it did in a car.  For me, part of that 'excess' time is conversation about my ride - but the main part of it is all the new and exciting routes I decide to take to get almost anywhere.  New roads, alleys, streets and hiways seem to call louder than they did when I was driving a car.  Or maybe I can just hear them better now.
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 09:16:15 pm
LOL. I went out for a quick half an hour............... well it'll be a maximum of an hour ride or so I said to the girlfriend. I returned three hours later ha ha  ;D
Not all riding. Some fair time talking about the bike as ya do!!!
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 11:28:42 pm
Jon,  what's the thing about parking the bike at TDC?  What is that supposed to do for it?  I've been around more than a few motorcycles for more than a few days, but I never heard of doing that. 

Fredgold52, see:

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,564.0.html

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 01:29:27 am
  If you read the thread mentioned above it'll all be clear. So when I park the Bullet, I shut it off.Then turn the key on,engage the compression release,slowly kick it over until the ampmeter goes hard to the left, and go a liittle morer until it comes back to the right (just as When your going to kick start it-only you don't start it), and then turn the key off.That is supposed to keep the oil from wet sumping.

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 04:08:34 am
Welcome to the wonderful world of Enfield break-in. Do not worry about it. You are simply running around to slow because of break-in speeds. I ran into the same problem and freaked out thinking it was because the bike was set  up too rich. It isn't if you got it from Vince. What you are experiencing is a combination of many things. Have you checked your speed against someone elses? that made all the diff., for me. The clearances are VERY tight and you are operating at the very bottom of the range during the break-in. The speedo is notoriously 5mph slow and that will make a huge difference when you are riding super-slow like you are now.

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 04:28:19 am
    Yep, I compared my speedo to a road side electronic unit, and it is about 4-5 mph off on the slow side (reads 30 when I'm really doing 24-25).
    JOn
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 09:48:23 am

it looks like the faster you go the more the speedo is off mine is off 7 mph at about 62
the bike is going 55mph.  so qwhen i was breaking in the bike i was going reeeealy slow
it didnt seem to be luging though.
bobbezin

2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 12:38:33 pm
  I followed the recommendations in the Snidal manual with my '04 Sixty-5 and at 11k plus miles I would say it has worked out OK.

Mileage Max                  Throttle Opening
300 Mi / 500 Km                           1/4
500 Mi / 800 Km                            1/3
1000 Mi / 1600 Km                        1/2
1500 Mi / 2400 Km                        3/4
2000 Mi / 3200 Km            Full When Necessary

2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 10:47:48 pm
Leonard, I think that's a pretty decent way to break in an engine.  The fact is, a Bullet will go somewhat faster than 30 mph at 1/4 throttle.  Also the idea of varying the engine speed is a solid approach.

I haven't been too concerned with sticking to hard and fast guideline for break in as the bike hasn't been ridden in temperatures over 40 degrees F.  For me, heat is the enemy.  Heat is what destroys machined surfaces and seizes pistons.  I've been doing lots of short rides, getting the engine up to temperature, then parking it for a while.  It's been that way for the whole first 240 miles.  I use whatever throttle position I care to up to 1/2 throttle.  The 1/2 throttle position is only for short bursts.  The bike performs well under these conditions.

So far my engine doesn't use any oil, has good plug color and is still using the plug that came in the bike when new.  A spark plug should last thousands of miles.  If someone is getting oil fouling, it's probably because of running too slow and lugging the engine. 

2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way