Author Topic: oil cooler  (Read 5670 times)

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
on: February 24, 2011, 03:34:02 pm
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 05:40:02 pm
Oil coolers like these easily plumb into the external rocker feed pipe and no doubt help a bit. If you could collect the very hot oil draining from the cylinder head, route it through a cooler and back into the timing chest, then surely this would do more good.

Or has any body fitted an external oil tank to a Bullet, Velocette style? These naturally cool the oil more effectively than the internal tank which, though neat, keeps it at nice simmer. Sorting out the feed pump pick up for an external tank would be a small challenge for the home engineer, and the whole thing might wet sump horribly if you didn't get tank placement just right.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

enfield freddy

• Grand Gearhead
  • old man riding an old bike
Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 08:30:19 pm
when i was running a big bore bullet as a caf racer last yr , i fitted a oil filter kit made for bsa/triumph , low down behind the gearbox ,this was piped to the return feed from the rockers , after a run it was hot , so i presume this was heat that would have gone back in the oil ?

arthritis hurts at my age!

Bullet.wagon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 08:35:00 pm
They make alloy fins to slip over oil filters too, helps cooling further.
2005 RE Military
2000 RE 350

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 11:36:49 am
Enfield Freddy

Did your filter kit capture the frying-pan-hot oil return from the head as it fed into the pushrod tunnel, or did it just splice into the crankcase-hot scavenge pump feed that goes up to the rockers. In the former case, the oil could be 150F hotter.

Either way, the extra oil capacity and exposure to cool air that the kit gives would be helpful, but getting the very hot oil through a cooler would dump more heat than in the case of stuff pulled up from the bottom of the engine.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 11:39:42 am by Chasfield »
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

enfield freddy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 12:50:44 pm
yup i cut into the pipe feeding the rocker feed , and made up some nice stainless hoses , so the hot oil was coming  out of the crankcase , pumped thru the filter then to the rockers , where it flowed back to the tank , it did reduce the temp at the top of the engine , plus it was an aditional filter + a couple of mor pints of oil ,, probably 1 pint

c1skout

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 12:33:56 am
I mounted a filter mount from the left side downtube. Seems to work well.

MotoJ

• Ride Fast and Take Chances!
  • Grease Monkey
  • Poverty Rider
Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 10:14:40 pm
I have a beautiful ACE oil filter still in the box. Any pics of how others have mounted these? Before I start cutting my rocker lines I'd like a good plan.
1978 BMW R80/7- Hacked!
1999 Enfield India 500 Bullet
1977 HD XLH 1000
1998 KLR 250
1956 IMZ M72m with sidecar

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 11:30:22 pm
I have a beautiful ACE oil filter still in the box. Any pics of how others have mounted these? Before I start cutting my rocker lines I'd like a good plan.

If that is an Ace oil FILTER, I only made 6 of them, and 3 of them failed.
I removed that  product from the market, due to failure rate.
If you want a refund on that, please contact me.
Otherwise, keep a close eye on it, because it's in the oil line, and that's a critical location.
The others are working and have lasted over a year so far.
But 3 of them failed upon installation.

If it's the Ace oil COOLER, that product is great, and there has never been any failure with any of those.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 11:34:42 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

enfield freddy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 11:30:40 pm
pickup a spare one , then you can cut one just below the lower banjo , and the other one just below the "Y" section , this will give you two good lenghs of pipe to bend/shape

MotoJ

• Ride Fast and Take Chances!
  • Grease Monkey
  • Poverty Rider
Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 12:14:14 am

Whoops, I meant cooler. What have people used to plumb them?

If that is an Ace oil FILTER, I only made 6 of them, and 3 of them failed.
I removed that  product from the market, due to failure rate.
If you want a refund on that, please contact me.
Otherwise, keep a close eye on it, because it's in the oil line, and that's a critical location.
The others are working and have lasted over a year so far.
But 3 of them failed upon installation.

If it's the Ace oil COOLER, that product is great, and there has never been any failure with any of those.
1978 BMW R80/7- Hacked!
1999 Enfield India 500 Bullet
1977 HD XLH 1000
1998 KLR 250
1956 IMZ M72m with sidecar

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 02:47:55 am
Whoops, I meant cooler. What have people used to plumb them?

I usually use 1/4" pipe thread fittings into the cooler, wth 1/4" hose-barbs on the ends.
Then I use 3/16" I.D. fuel line to connect that to the cut external oil line, and hose lamp them.

For the mounting, you have to be very careful with the screws you pick to attach the brackets to the cooler frame. #8 sheet metal screws hold fine, but you have to be sure that you select a length for the screws which will not go thru the frame deep enough to pierce the cooler fins. There are oil passages under there which could be pierced, and cause the cooler to leak, and then  it's toast. So be real careful with that.
Brace the cooler on both sides, so that the wind doesn't bend the mounts you use.
That should do it.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 09:37:29 am
We have a remote spin on oil filter on the 500cc racer, as the timing cover on the engine had to have the oil filter portion removed to sit the engine low in the Manx frame. This filter has a non-return type cannister and works on the feed side of the lubrication system.
 We used to have an oil cooler sited in front of the cylinder base, cooling oil to the rockers, but this was removed, as we felt it was uneccessary and just meant extra pipework. All hoses are / were braided with compression fittings.
 Here are some pics: [The lowest pic shows the 500 as it looked when first built seven years ago, but shows the layout to good effect]
 b.W.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 09:48:31 am by Bullet Whisperer »

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 03:59:03 pm
That's one good build. My question is, what is the oil path with your filter setup? If the pump supplies the quill bolt internally,are you stealing flow from the crank assembly with that line you have attached? What am I missing? Also, that is one tricky front brake,what's it from?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 04:03:03 pm by cyrusb »
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 04:56:36 pm
Hi Cyrus,
 When we cut off the original filter part of the timing cover, we built up around the outlet hole from the feed pump at the top of where the filter was with alloy weld, then drilled into it and tapped it out to take a pipe union. This pipe runs to the filter, then from this to a pipe fitting screwed in to a drilled and tapped quill bolt, feeding direct to the big end [the original passageway to the quill was blocked off with weld]. when we fit a new filter, I disconnect both pipes from the engine and pump oil into the filter from an oil can, and also a few shots into the big end, then reconnect the pipes and she's ready to go.
 The photo is an old one, the bike now has a disc front brake, but that drum was a double sided tls Grimeca.
 Here's how the bike looks these days:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 08:55:54 pm by Bullet Whisperer »