Author Topic: Finaly Brought It Home Yesterday!  (Read 11310 times)

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 01:02:11 pm

-The stock headlight leaves some to be desired. I plan to go to the 7" and hope it helps some. No streetlights where I'm at and need all that I can get.

I found that too, but I've discovered a work-around for those empty rural roads until I can get the 7 incher - the passing light switch gives you much better illumination than the high beam, since it lights up both the high and low beams simultaneously.  Not knowing what the current draw is, I don't hold it down for extended periods - just a quick stab every few seconds to get a snapshot of the road ahead. 
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 01:06:01 pm
Just for the sake of proactivity, are there any specific nuts/bolts that are specifically prone to comming loose?

I don't suggest it's prone to it, but the footpeg and the mounts for the airbox are the ones I've had to tighten more than once.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 02:55:15 pm
I found that too, but I've discovered a work-around for those empty rural roads until I can get the 7 incher - the passing light switch gives you much better illumination than the high beam, since it lights up both the high and low beams simultaneously.  Not knowing what the current draw is, I don't hold it down for extended periods - just a quick stab every few seconds to get a snapshot of the road ahead. 

@Andy:

I have also used that button on the back roads and the road lights up pretty well.  G5 has pretty good 55/60W bulb.  The 7" headlight looks nicer but the stock one does a fairly decent job for me.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

YJake

• Scooter
  • Exploring the Sunshine State
Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 02:06:27 am
Did my first oil change today at 260 miles. The screen filter had some nasty stuff on it but not as much as I've seen others here have. The oil filter was black, and when recycling the oil I could see all of the metal shavings reflecting in the sunlight. Man! Looked like I was panning for gold/silver!  :o

I finished the day by making it to 305 miles. The bike is really waking up now, it rolls on up to 45mph easily and slips on up to 50mph without trying. It's almost like it's asking for more  ;)

-Jake
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost..."

2010 Royal Enfield G5

1973 Honda CL125

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 02:09:16 am
It just keeps getting better ;)
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 05:50:32 pm
I found that too, but I've discovered a work-around for those empty rural roads until I can get the 7 incher - the passing light switch gives you much better illumination than the high beam, since it lights up both the high and low beams simultaneously.  Not knowing what the current draw is, I don't hold it down for extended periods - just a quick stab every few seconds to get a snapshot of the road ahead.  

Running both filaments simultaneouse can burn out the light just because it gets really hot, don't hold it too long ;)  A $10 upgrade until you get the 7" is just to get a 5 3/4" sealed beam halogen auto bulb.  The pattern isn't perfect and the tabs on the bulb don't line up but it bolts right in and it's much better.  Get the 7" as soon as you can.  It throws great light AND looks absolutely beautiful.

Scott

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 07:04:53 pm
Running both filaments simultaneouse can burn out the light just because it gets really hot, don't hold it too long ;)  A $10 upgrade until you get the 7" is just to get a 5 3/4" sealed beam halogen auto bulb.  The pattern isn't perfect and the tabs on the bulb don't line up but it bolts right in and it's much better.  Get the 7" as soon as you can.  It throws great light AND looks absolutely beautiful.

Scott

It's top of the list for this year.

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 10:52:39 pm
I don't suggest it's prone to it, but the footpeg and the mounts for the airbox are the ones I've had to tighten more than once.
pay attention to the exhaust mounting bolts and both mirrors, and most of all the tail light mounting bolt. All of mine are now fixed with loktite.

Cheers

:)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 11:09:14 pm
Anything that comes loose twice gets LocTite ;)

YJake

• Scooter
  • Exploring the Sunshine State
Reply #24 on: March 02, 2011, 02:07:34 am
I'll have to do a thourough check for some loose nuts/bolts soon, I went on an 80+ mile ride to the coast and back today after work. My second tank of petrol averaged 68mpg. So I went from 65 to 68. This is getting promising! 8)

I also ran it at 50-55mph most of the way and it didn't complain one bit, it held speed just fine despite all of the wind (Laying flat on the tank helped some I'm sure! ;))

Really loving this thing so far! ;D

For the sake of asking, is there anything good to wash/wipe my bike down with to prevent it from rusting and such? It lives outside on a slab under a metal roof but it IS humid here. Any suggestions would be great, don't want it to get rusty or pitted now! :-\

Cheers,
-Jake
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost..."

2010 Royal Enfield G5

1973 Honda CL125

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 04:23:58 am
I'm not sure where you are, but here in the tropics, it gets a bath every six weeks, followed by a polish, I apply the polish to everything, glass, chrome, paint the works.Once a week I spray WD40 over the paint and chrome and wipe over with a rag, seems to do the trick. Hope this helps.

:) Cheers

sjbiat

• Bulleteer
Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 12:21:05 pm
I did my 300 mile oil change last week.  The oil was clean.   The magnets were clean.  No loose bolts.  But the clutch lever bracket cracked from what seemed like very little pressure on a short wrench.  So be careful about tightening handle bar bolts.  (My dealer sent me a new bracket.  Meanwhile it stays on well with a nylon tie wrapped around it.  Replacing it will mean replacing the left hand grip, which I am not looking forward to.)

-Stephan
stephan
09 C5 with Cozy sidecar now
formerly
97 Motoguzzi
94/02 Ural
85 BMW R80
64 BMW R60/Hollandia/Steib
61 BMW R69/Watsonian
60 Pugeot

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #27 on: March 02, 2011, 06:33:18 pm
unless the grip is glued on you should be able to remove it and re-install it.
i squirt a little wd-40 between the grip and the bar then work it down and off comes the grip. clean the grip with dawn dish soap and re-install.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #28 on: March 02, 2011, 06:38:12 pm
You can just stick a screwdriver in and squirt some water.  Twist it a bit and it should come right off.  I like to reinstall with brake cleaner (watch your paint!) since it dries quickly,   Water or windes works too.  I also usually safety wire my grips on once they've dried..  I hate when they twist.

Don't worry about removing and re-installing grips, it's easy ;)

Scott

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #29 on: March 03, 2011, 12:54:43 am
I did my 300 mile oil change last week.  The oil was clean.   The magnets were clean.  No loose bolts.  But the clutch lever bracket cracked from what seemed like very little pressure on a short wrench.  So be careful about tightening handle bar bolts.  (My dealer sent me a new bracket.  Meanwhile it stays on well with a nylon tie wrapped around it.  Replacing it will mean replacing the left hand grip, which I am not looking forward to.)

-Stephan
I also broke my clutch bracket from a little over tightening. They are just cheap metal. Don't worry about the grip. It was easy to get off ,and went back on easy, with water with a drop of soap. After the water dried the grip was solid.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 01:07:14 am by Chris-G5 »