Author Topic: Hagon shocks  (Read 10356 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 03:36:09 pm
Hey, Singh;
 You mention replacing the factory fork oil with BelRay 10 and that sounds like a great idea. I just drained the forks in my 2011 G5, found dirty, heavy  - at least 30 or 40w - oil, 160cc in one side, 170cc in the other.
 The factory service manual says to use 265cc oil in each fork, but the included Riders Handbook says to use "200 m / leg." What the hell is 220 m, and how much oil did you use in each fork? 265 just seems to me to be too much.
          Thank you.              Wayne in Santa Rosa, Ca

@Wayne:

I am posting a link below for more details. When I had changed fork oil, we had a very good and informative discussion on the Forum.  I had used about 230 ml (milli litre) per fork.  I think we could not quite figure out "How much" is the correct volume, because what came out of the fork was so low as compared to what was recommended in the Manual.  So I picked a value that is sort of middle of those volumes.  You may use your judgement as to how much you want to add.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,8820.0/all.html

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 04:02:13 pm
Thanks for the heads up on the fork oil. I own a brand new G5 Deluxe and am quite happy with the rear shocks. They are at their lightest setting and I have a solo springer seat. The bike feels great. I have one question about the forks......they seem very lightly dampened. I guess I should check out my oil but would like to know if this is normal ? Thanks guys, a great and helpful forum.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 04:08:24 pm
I have one question about the forks......they seem very lightly dampened. I guess I should check out my oil but would like to know if this is normal ? Thanks guys, a great and helpful forum.

Drain the oil from your forks and add a fresh proper Fork oil.  It is not very expensive and worth it knowing what you added to it.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

realoldfart

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 12:02:40 am
For Al Madril (tri750):
   Thanks for the advice about Hagon shocks, Al, but, by happy coiincidence, I did some research on my own last week, contacting a CA shop in San Marcos that advertises in "Motorcycle Classic" magazine, and discussed, by e-mail, what Hagon shocks were available for my '11 RE G5. We've worked out the style (2810), spring rate and size, and adornments, like polished "caps" at the top of the springs so they look very similar to the stock shock. Since I live in CA, I'll get 'em very quickly and will be ordering 'em early next week. And, yerright, these shocks are MUCH better than the one's shown on the Nfield Gear website, and the cost isn't much more.
  But thanks again, sir. I appreciate your time and effort.
                                      Wayne in NoCal.

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 06:32:34 pm
wayne, sorry to dig up an old post, but how do you like the hagons? Pics? Price?

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #20 on: May 28, 2011, 11:26:14 pm
I bought custom Hagons from the US dealer - lowered the bike 2' and he set the springs for the correct rate of springiness for my weight and that particular lenght . YOU have to tell him what you are doing with the bike and weight and he will custom set the shocks for your situation. I have the C-5 stock shocks if anyone wants them - the hagons are fine and you have lots of choices for the appearance - shrouded, black and chrome - all black etc etc. Great service :)

http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/

B

Dr B

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 02:14:03 am
The 'wanted' forum has a post about paying it forward, or karma or something like that were people have been offering trades for RE bits, check it out and see if you can get something neat as a trade for the shocks.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #22 on: May 29, 2011, 08:00:27 pm
That was one of the things that most impressed me about this board when I first joined.

Scott

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #23 on: May 29, 2011, 08:07:33 pm
drbvac, would you mind telling us how much you weigh and what shock spring rate you went with?  Any other details on the shocks you chose and why?

Thanks,
Scott

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #24 on: July 14, 2011, 10:03:11 pm
Missed this - I went with the shortest shock that they make as I am 5-3 and weigh 170 so a square shape which in fact is a shape - so I say I am in shape

Dave puts the fact that I usually ride solo, weigh 170, need shocks that are as short as possible - think they were 11.5 inches and the springs with the proper rate to support me.

They seem to work great and I took the springs OFF my solo seat and although it is now dropped and only suspension is the shocks - the ride is OK - certainly stiff to allow travel but not any bottoming or wheel rub - but I accept that with the fact I can put both boots flat on the ground.
Dr B

shappers

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 10:15:24 pm
Hi y'all, interesting about the shorter shocks on the C5. 

Does it cure the weaving once the bike is beyond 60 mph?

Cheers shappers.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #26 on: July 15, 2011, 10:29:44 pm
Have you checked your tire pressures ?
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #27 on: July 15, 2011, 10:37:06 pm
Yeah Shappers.  I think the owner's manual says 18F/20R.  It sounds really low but it works with the stock AM26 tires.  I run 18/24 and I can go smooth to 80+mph.

Scott

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: July 16, 2011, 09:46:08 am
Hi y'all, interesting about the shorter shocks on the C5. 

Does it cure the weaving once the bike is beyond 60 mph?

Cheers shappers.

that will be the nylon bush in the swing arm ... not the shocks

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #29 on: July 16, 2011, 10:54:49 am
@ drbvac: Please ensure that your wiring is not fouling with the rear wheel after dropping the height of the shockers Many people have had short circuits when the wiring was cut through by the rear tyre.....!!