Author Topic: Hagon shocks  (Read 10433 times)

realoldfart

• Scooter
on: February 23, 2011, 06:30:24 pm
  I have a question about the Hagon shocks (Z90665) advertised on the Nfield Gear website. I just bought a 2011 RE G5 Bullet Classic and love the bike but not-so-crazy about the ride - it definitely needs improvement. The Hagon ad says they "significantly improve ride and handling."
 Does anybody out there have any personal experience with these shocks? At $325 a pair, I'd like to have someone with some experience tell me about 'em before I pop for that much money.
   Thank you, and have a nice ride!
                                                         Wayne in Northern California

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 06:58:53 pm
Welcome to the forum, Have you tried putting your shocks on the softest position yet? It made a big difference for me.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

enfield freddy

• Grand Gearhead
  • old man riding an old bike
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 07:05:40 pm
realoldfart , sorry i can,t help with the c5/g5 , I own an older model , after trying several makes of shockers , i have fitted hagons , the difference is noticable ,
arthritis hurts at my age!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 07:24:41 pm
First, the unshrouded ones are much cheaper.  Second, you don't have one of the legacy bikes, you have a newer UCE bike and these come with better shocks than the old bikes.  You can tell your shocks are different, they have the little piggback gas reservoir.  Third, have you adjusted your preload at all?  It's a simple adjustment but might get you closer to what you want.

Scott

realoldfart

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 07:34:18 pm
 First, thanks for the prompt and informative replies, gentlemen.
  And, yes, that's about the first thing I did was set the spring preload on the softest setting, and the ride is still harsh as can be. Plus, a friend of mine bought an '09 G5 UCE early last year and let me ride it before I bought mine. Same thing: soft setting and  unacceptably harsh ride. I read somewhere that the stock shocks break in after 1,500 miles or so and improve noticeably. Anybody else notice that? I now have 900 miles on mine and it's just as harsh as day one.
                           Thanks again.                  Wayne

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 07:35:38 pm
They will get some better after a while, mine did anyway.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 07:57:39 pm
The C5 is helped out by the solo saddle which takes the bite out the back suspension.  How much you weigh would have some effect as well.

I thought the shocks on the UCE models are the upgraded pieces, i.e. Hagon.  Please correct me if I am wrong.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 09:04:48 pm
@Wayne:

Welcome to the Forum.

Sometimes, if the front shocks are not working well it may shift all the bumps to the rear.  And it has been known that the front fork does not have good fork oil from the factory.  They may even have unequal and different stuff in the left and right forks !  Check the level of fork oil on both sides and also see if two sides contain same fluid.  Some of us replaced the front fork oil and it improved the ride.  It is not so expensive and can be done easily, before you change the rear shocks.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:06:56 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 09:08:55 pm
Singh, what oil did you use for replacement?  I know the factory specs motor oil but I'm thinking of swapping mine out soon for some 7.5W synthetic fork oil.  Maybe add some preload too.

Scott

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 09:17:25 pm
Singh, what oil did you use for replacement?  I know the factory specs motor oil but I'm thinking of swapping mine out soon for some 7.5W synthetic fork oil.  Maybe add some preload too.

@Scott:

I used FORK OIL 10W by BelRay - not motor oil - for my G5.  It tremendously improved my bike.  If you remember, my G5 had different stuff in left and right forks from the factory and one side was almost empty !  That may be why I felt big improvement.  I am light weight so 10W suits me fine.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 09:46:13 pm
I was going to ask what your mileage was and then I read 900. I can tell you that I thought the rear shocks were really harsh for at least the first 1500 miles and also intended to replace them with Hagons PDQ. Then I sort of noticed that they didn't bother me any more and they're still on the middle setting by the way. ( I might add that I am 154lbs so light weight - maybe to pick up on another thread that's why I am adamant that I can cruise at 65-70 all day.) So yes, they really do improve though they take an awful long time about it. On the plus side perhaps they'll last forever once they are broken in?  ;)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:51:15 pm by clubman »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 10:49:19 pm
I used FORK OIL 10W by BelRay

Thanks.  I like my fork to move fast so may try 7.5W. 

Almost all forks I've ever seen from the factroy have different amounta in both sides and it looks like crap when it comes out, may or may not be different crap on each side.  I don't know why this seems to be a low point on factory quality control but it is :(

Scott

realoldfart

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 12:48:33 am
Hey, Singh;
 You mention replacing the factory fork oil with BelRay 10 and that sounds like a great idea. I just drained the forks in my 2011 G5, found dirty, heavy  - at least 30 or 40w - oil, 160cc in one side, 170cc in the other.
 The factory service manual says to use 265cc oil in each fork, but the included Riders Handbook says to use "200 m / leg." What the hell is 220 m, and how much oil did you use in each fork? 265 just seems to me to be too much.
          Thank you.              Wayne in Santa Rosa, Ca

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 03:04:42 am
Was it 200mm?  That means with the fork top off, spring out, and fork fully compressed, you fill it to 200mm from the top.  Of course you need to extend and compress it several times with oil in it to make sure there aren't any air bubbles in it.

Fork oil height is a much more precise way to fill forks since it ensures the size of the air space.  The air acts as a compressible, progressive spring.  I'm planning to take a look at my forks and if I can I'll put in the recommended volume, then measure the height.

Scott

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 02:58:14 pm
  I have a question about the Hagon shocks (Z90665) advertised on the Nfield Gear website. I just bought a 2011 RE G5 Bullet Classic and love the bike but not-so-crazy about the ride - it definitely needs improvement. The Hagon ad says they "significantly improve ride and handling."
 Does anybody out there have any personal experience with these shocks? At $325 a pair, I'd like to have someone with some experience tell me about 'em before I pop for that much money.
   Thank you, and have a nice ride!
                                                         Wayne in Northern California

Wayne,
No matter what shock you decide on, making sure the spring rate matches your body weight is very important. If the RE Hagons are sprung too stiff for you, then you'll be just as unhappy as you are now. Upgrading to a shock with the correct spring AND adjustable damping would be ideal but only one or two shocks will be both adjustable and still have the old school look.
Not to swipe a sale from RE, but if you would like to know of more adjustable shock options that we can order for you, please call me at the shop at 866-811-4269.
Best,
Al Madril
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT