Author Topic: what is the difference  (Read 11999 times)

motorat

• Grease Monkey
on: February 22, 2011, 09:32:29 pm
whats the difference between the c5 and the g5?
i'm thinking of a c5 military.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 09:50:05 pm
Basically, the G5 is the new UCE engine in an electra frame - has a kickstart.  The C5 model is a new design - including tinwork and frame - with the UCE - no kickstart. 

To make it a little more confusing, RE produced a G5 Miitary model for the US market in 2009.  Replaced in 2010 with the C5 Military...  new model C5's coming out next year or so... think they'll all have a kicker...

I haven't looked REAL close, but it looks like a lot of the frame and chassis parts are NOT interchangable between the C5/G5... where a lot of the G5 stuff could be shared with the "classic" design... I'll let the experts weigh in... ;)

Mike and S&S in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 10:28:25 pm
Basically, the G5 is the new UCE engine in an electra frame - has a kickstart.  The C5 model is a new design - including tinwork and frame - with the UCE - no kickstart. 

To make it a little more confusing, RE produced a G5 Miitary model for the US market in 2009.  Replaced in 2010 with the C5 Military...  new model C5's coming out next year or so... think they'll all have a kicker...

I haven't looked REAL close, but it looks like a lot of the frame and chassis parts are NOT interchangable between the C5/G5... where a lot of the G5 stuff could be shared with the "classic" design... I'll let the experts weigh in... ;)

Mike and S&S in Michigan

Looks like SOMEBODY'S been paying attention!!  ;) BRAVO! That just about says it with the exception of the wheel diameter - 18" on the C5 - the traditional 19" on the G5.
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 10:42:57 pm
Yes. all that stuff you guys mentioned, both cool bikes, etc...etc, But you forgot to mention the C-5 is cooler and faster, especially in Black. ::)
Welcome motorat !
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 10:46:04 pm
Yes. all that stuff you guys mentioned, both cool bikes, etc...etc, But you forgot to mention the C-5 is cooler and faster, especially in Black. ::)
Welcome motorat !

Black MAY be the fastest colour ....... but Battle Green is the stealthiest ......  ;D

robbw

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 10:48:52 pm
Black MAY be the fastest colour ....... but Battle Green is the stealthiest ......  ;D
Chrome is the fastest. Plus it reflects light which causes temporary blindness and qualifies as a built in defense mechanism so it does not need stealth.  ;D ;D

holodeck

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 11:26:53 pm
Will the new Bullet Black have a kick start? Obviously is should, but does anyone know for sure ?

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 11:33:20 pm
thanks for the replies. i'll be looking at the c5 when the weather clears up a bit.
and i hear the olive drab green is the fastest color because it doesn't have all that reflection and shiny bits messing up the air flow.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 08:06:45 am
Drab green causes significant drag - it is as dull and plodding as it looks. It's been established here, definitively, that for looks, performance, and the very definition of authentic retro Brit bike cool - black and chrome combined, as per the G5 de-luxe, is the only choice for those in the know.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 08:09:58 am by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 11:23:34 am
Actually - If you'd want to get TECHNICAL about it ........ Peacock BLUE and chrome is the fastest ..... of course that'd be Iron Barrel fast - and you have use a sundial to verify it .... unless it's FireBalled .......  ::)

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 02:11:36 pm
Been spending the last few weeks removing "shiny" from my new C5 Military... should be able to get pics up this weekend... ;)  'Ol Stumpy is getting jealous from lack of attention... ;D

Mike and S&S in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 02:14:16 pm
I want to see those pics.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 02:16:04 pm
I want to see those pics.

Gotcha... ;D

Mike and S&S in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 02:40:52 pm
Actually I could go with blue and chrome. And there's a really nice orange & chrome job in Members Rides, Gregorin's bike I think.  But you gotta have CHROME for speed and style..... ;)
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 05:05:31 pm
Been spending the last few weeks removing "shiny" from my new C5 Military... should be able to get pics up this weekend... ;)  'Ol Stumpy is getting jealous from lack of attention... ;D

Mike and S&S in Michigan

I'll show you MINE if you show me YOURS ......  ::) I'd like to think I'm piecing together (from scratch and dent, abandoned under the workbench crap) the bike that one would EXPECT to see in military service ....... We'll see, eh? We may have TWO of the best ones in the world .....  ;D