Author Topic: POSTS PLUS HITS/SALES  (Read 6255 times)

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
on: February 21, 2011, 01:50:47 pm
Based  on the volume of activity of this forum compared to the actual sales volume of the machines in North America, (and given the newness of the UCE format)  I would venture a guess that this must be the most active per sales motorcycle forum going.  That portends extremely well for sales (particularly when you look at the number of non posting lurkers) .  I wish I could buy stocks in Eicher/RE.  They are going places.  Nigel .   

billy2sheds

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 05:19:19 pm
I reckon you could call me a lurker,i'm new to the UCE and biking after a 45 year break,i cant offer advice to anyone so don't have to much to say.
And yes it is the best UCE site that i have found.

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 07:07:06 pm
I was reading the bcmtouring.com thread called "my new royal enfield classic" for a while. Lots of pages to read about their domestic version of the C5.
Its an India based forum, but with the vast difference in the two bikes, the Indian version and the export version, I was getting disheartened at the problems they have with the bikes.
Much happier interacting with everyone here.

If you want lots of reading, there are over a hundred pages to the thread on that site.
http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/motorcycles-f13/my-new-royal-enfield-classic-500-efi-t17139/
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 09:54:02 pm
If you want lots of reading, there are over a hundred pages to the thread on that site.

http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/motorcycles-f13/my-new-royal-enfield-classic-500-efi-t17139/

@DesiBike:

I read several pages written by the owners of new UCE EFI bikes sold in India.  The bikes are slightly different from the export models that we get here in US.  Some of the problems are similar to what we have seen in US - only we saw it earlier than they did because these bikes were introduced in US earlier than in India.  Some are due to modifications to their bikes - such as exhaust pipes or air filters or tyres - that they are experimenting with.  It is also possible that export models have better quality control or even some better parts.

But I also found several positive posts - many in India have done over 10,000 km and one guy close to 20,000 km.  To put to rest any doubts of its performance, one guy travelled 3800 km in 7 days and bike ran fine - no leaks or anything !  

Their Forum members seem to be helpful to each other, just like in this Forum, and share their expertise with each other.  There may even be a lot more new bikes running in India than we have here in US.  Collectively, they have put more miles on new bikes than the combined total of US riders.  So they are likely to see things that we have not.

My take out message is that reading their Forum taught me a few things, which can be useful to riders in US or for that matter any where else in the world.  

Thanks for the link.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 10:27:36 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 12:34:19 am
It looks like the C5 kick start is different than the G5, seems to have the same right side cover as our C-5, from the vertical bolts, and the item on left side is a sari guard for side-saddle riding with foot rest!.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 03:26:01 am
Keep in mind the ratio of people posting, most people with no problems don't post. ;)  Look at any bike's forums and it may seem like they are all loaded with issues.  From what I've read here the new UCE bikes need proper setup, some nut & bolt tightening for the first few months, and the few problems we've seen seem to get sorted at the dealer or here on the forum quickly.  I'd still say Japan has better quality control but we're not doing badly at all.

Scott

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 11:55:17 am
Problems are one aspect of what a forum is about.  That wasn't actually what I was thinking about when I began this string.  I was thinking more about the sheer amount of interest in what , up to recently, must be a failrly obscure product| Cetainly the UCE anyway. since it is new  Even the Bullet and RE as a product line, though not unknown in North America have probably been thrust into the limelight by the advent of the UCE.  Here in Canada, for instance, I dont. think I have actually ever seen an RE  "in the flesh" unlsess perhaps way back in the early 1960s when it wouldn't have stood out to me  from the other brit bikes then on the road.  There was a very breif period when they were imported in the early 1990s. but for reasons I am not familiar with, the import liscence expired.  So July 2010 was the effective debut of Royal Enfield in Canada.    And though the Iron Barrel and Lean Burn were availabe in the States , based on my ignorance of advertising  prior to last year or so, and the dealer network expansion, I have to assume that the brand has increased greatly in public awareness there with the launch of the UCE.  Even RE/Eicher's company history with it's near collapse and rescue from oblivion byl Siddhartha Lal  suggest that it's thead of destiny was frayed pretty thin just a few short years ago, yet now they are announcing new product launches ,and factory openings fast enough to make your head spin, and posting sales increases of about 30% per annum and order backlogs (not unliike the Ural story) in a very adverse economic environment when most other motorcycle manufacterers are hurtin big time.  (Honda, in Canada, did not even make or import 2010 bikes just sold theri backlog of 2009s)

What i see is a fairly small core of actively corresponding mutually suppportive  enthusiasts sharing their experience, a few people with puzzles or problems to sort out with the help of collective experience , but more significantly, a HUGE silent audience, who I must assume are listneing in becuse they are at least contemplating purchase. As I have stated before in other posts, I personally find the phoenix like rise from the ashes story as compelling as the bike itself:  And as I have said before, the bike is viscerally compelling .  To resort to an over used phrase "It punches way above it's weigtht" in appeal  I think the large listening audience must agree, .  I interpret all the performance enhancement talk as just "buzz" reflecting the underlying torrent of interest in this product.
I also think that a significant part of that listening audience must be women.  I talk about the Bullet and show my laptop screensaver picture of it to just about anyone who will listen (People respond very favouraby to the picture, a green G 5 in this case, and often remark something like "Now that looks like a motorcycle") .  Inteestingly , one casual acqauaitance I talk with and shared the RE with in a local restaurant, came back to me a few weeks later to announce that his 40 something daugter independantly announced to him that she was buying a C5  (Classic in Canada) That is significant and more than co-incidental.  First it means that awareness is growing, but it also means , I think, that an underappreciated market in North America is women riders:  This probably represents a bit of a departure from the traditional Bullet customer and one,which based on RE's past very male centric advertising, they are not looking at. 

Any way, I had no specific puprpose in this thread other thatn to say "Well done Enfield, and Mr Mahoney"   and look out because I think biig things are coming.And maybe think about your female fans because I know they are there.Even in India it is a changing world and I bet a tongue in cheek macho type ad with a suprise female ending (when the helmet comes off ) would be a big hit there.  A departure from the "male establishing his independance and cutting the cord from momma by buying a Bullet " mode      Just thoghts  Nigel

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 01:41:16 pm
I would imagine there were a lot of people - like me - who quietly admired Enfield's for many years but were worried that ownership would be just too much trouble. When the UCE came out we put aside our doubts and comforted ourselves that even if there were problems they should be ironed out over the two year warranty period, a first for RE. And I agree 100% with Scotty that I'd still say Japan has better quality control but we're not doing badly at all.

I don't doubt there are many more - including yourself Nigel - who are waiting that bit longer and watching this forum. I'm quite sure that you will end up purchasing one and I agree that I forsee a healthy sales increase for RE within a decling market in the west. With another round of huge hikes in the oil price surely upon us the fuel consumption may come into play too. I certainly wouldn't buy anything that drank fuel at the rate that the average performance motorcycle does. (Then again I actually use it as opossed to having a 1,000 mile a year plaything.)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 01:44:33 pm
Life is short, get off the fence and buy your motorcycle.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 02:43:13 pm
Roger that .   Not waiting for reasons of uncertainty  about product, (already sold twice over) but because
a) waiting for a property to sell to get $$
b) still snow and ice here for several months yet
c) No dealer within 8 hours of me. 
d) its less than 8 months since there was even 1 Canadian dealer!  We are quite a bit behind you guys.   
I'll get there,   Meantime, I enjoy other's riding vicarioiusly on the forum .   For me it would be 1/2 tool and yes, 1/2 toy.  (After all , I already have a car so it is hard to justify increasing the rolling stock just to get from a to b) .
 Also I participte in the forum (even though not yet an owner) because I am an enthusiast and I like to share the enthusiasm for the benefit of others stiining on the fence.  The more I research, the more I like.  And to boot, the story  and history are just interesting , and it is unflolding before our eyes.  Who wouldn't want to be in on the ground level.  So I am not looking for something or someone to convince me: I have already done that a long time ago.   Rather I put out ideas  that I know others may be wondering about and dig up facts or info of interest  to promote communication and awareness.   Since I have no RE riding creds, that is the best I can contribute. for now.        Thanks, Nigel.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 03:03:17 pm
Nigel, I think both you and Clubman make valid points.  Before buying mine I think I saw two Enfields here in the states outside of moto shows.  I was always interested, even in the old stuff.  The UCE bike was certainly the clincher.  The local Ducati dealer was considering carrying them and got one in to gauge interest.  I was thrilled to see it up close and was thinking of buying it even with the old engine, I like to tinker.  Then the dealer informed me of the advances in the new modeI with a simple, "They updated everything they had to and nothing they didn't."  After some research I found out about the more reliable and lower maintenance engine, disc front brake was now standard, the C5 more retro style was available, and hooking up a side car did not require the purchase of a whole new front end.  I could already tell that one day I would own one.  Call it serendipity that my Monster was totaled by being tipped over in a parking lot just a few months later and I got a big fat insurance check.

This site sure has more of the curious questions from potential new owners than most.  I think it's because the Enfield is so unique.  The only things close are the Bonneville and the Kawasaki W650 that was only sold here in the states for a few years.  And this bike has more of the old style charm than either of those IMO.

Yup, there's a silent group out there that will probably push sales much higher in the next few years.

Scott

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 03:40:54 pm
Quite agree about it being unique, even alongside the Bonnie and W800 as it will now be. They just have to convince people it's not third world and second rate. They've certainly moved the price outside that area but a reputation takes time to build. I think it will happen.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 03:59:20 pm
Great thread! I learn something on this forum everyday. I just found out that the air filter works inside out  compared to every other vehicle I have seen. That was not easy to see when the salesman popped the cover to show where it is. I learned that you can troubleshoot the fuel injection system without a computer. These are great for a gearhead!

I agree that this bike is well suited to women but I don't think they will be much of a market until more REs are out there on the road. Most  of the women I see are on Sportsters or scooters. I think the Bullet has the best of both.

My tax refund is almost exactly the out-the-door price of that new C5. The dealer expects delivery this week and the IRS says direct deposit goes in tomorrow. Where was that "I want one" thread?

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 04:03:20 pm
The pricing is the issue right now.  I think the 2011 Bullet 500 (you know, the one with "frumpy" rear fender) at $5,500 msrp is a response to that.  

Face it, $6400 (in 2010) for the C5 is not an economical price, especially considering the niggling glitches occuring here and there (and I have had them, too).

The prices are set in part to deal with the 2-year warranty.  I have a feeling that my C5 will help the new Seattle shop become more familiar with the brand.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 05:23:10 pm
Frumpy fender is the one I want, not so much because of the price but because I think it looks seriously cool... And, as a Bullet 350 body, there shoud be a ton of aftermarket paraphenalia for it.     Doesn't hurt that it costs less either....more for add ons and mods.   Nigel