Author Topic: Test rode a G5 today  (Read 10116 times)

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #30 on: February 21, 2011, 01:52:45 pm
Not so fast......You are forgettng the wheelie factor!   Nigel

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #31 on: February 21, 2011, 02:09:09 pm
DOH!! ;D I did think that was distinctly possible but wasn't confident of my logic! Thanks r80rt!  :)
I usually go to a one tooth taller front sprocket on all of my bikes, I still may try one on my C5 in the future, but for now I'm really happy with the stock gearing.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: February 21, 2011, 03:47:02 pm
I ride  60-65 everywhere, with power to spare. It'll go from 60 to 70 quickly even up hill. But I still don't want to ride on a freeway with it.  I live in where the roads are all steep narrow and twisty and the C5 is right at home on them.

@r80rt:

My experience on my stock G5 is exactly like yours on your C5.  I do not take it on freeway though I have tesed it to full open throttle to 80 mph (by GPS) which was its max on that day.  But to cruise I am happy at the 75% of its max, which is 60 mph.  With an extra tooth in the front socket, it may add another 5 mph to it and overall bike will be nicer for our conditions.

An important issue that is overlooked is the longevity of the engine, when the bike is pushed beyond what it is designed to do.  If one keeps beating a horse for more and more, it will likely one day just buckle its knees - just my thought  ;).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 03:54:27 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #33 on: February 21, 2011, 03:51:29 pm
Singhg5 you are correct, you can't sling a piston too fast, I put a one tooth taller sprocket on bikes to get a more relaxed engine at cruising speed, not to increase the cruising speed. I've seen 80 on mine a few times, but it's no fun, 60-65 is a good place to be on a C5.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 04:31:47 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #34 on: February 21, 2011, 07:26:02 pm
Hello Nigel !
         My G5 Deluxe does have the Royal Enfield megaphone after market exhaust. I run regular unleaded gas, not premium, as my dealer said it wasn't necessary because of the computers' ability to adjust the timing. With the exhaust upgrade ( great sound ! ) and the 18 tooth sprocket, I am extremely happy with the performance of my bike. I live in California ( San Francisco Bay Area ), U.S.A. There is every kind of road you could wish for, from the coast to the mountains, to the freeways !!  My Royal Enfield is quite happy on all of them !