Author Topic: Need advice  (Read 3986 times)

Raj V

• Scooter
on: February 21, 2011, 01:33:38 pm
Hi all,

I am ready to take the plunge and get a black C5. I need a little advice. The nearest dealer is 200 miles away - Holopaw, FL. Should I drive the bike back home?  What about break in? Should I get it delivered? Should I even bother going there for a test drive since I am pretty much sold?

Thanks.

Raj.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 01:40:27 pm
My dealer is 150 miles away, I hated to do it but I hauled mine home on a trailer, I wanted to start fresh on roads I knew well for the break in. It's a tough decision to make :D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 01:50:29 pm
I would get it delivered personally. If you do ride 200 miles stop regularly to let it cool down. My personal preference would be for the first couple of hundred miles to consist of ten or more rides on a mixture of roads. I did do a 90 mile ride without stopping after a couple of hundred miles and it coped fine. Congratulations, btw!  :)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 02:56:23 pm
I am ready to take the plunge and get a black C5. I need a little advice. The nearest dealer is 200 miles away - Holopaw, FL. Should I drive the bike back home?  What about break in? Should I get it delivered? Should I even bother going there for a test drive since I am pretty much sold?

@Raj Ji:

Sat Sree Akaal.  Welcome to the Forum.

No need to test drive. Black C5 is the coolest looking bike.  Get it delivered to your home.  

For break in, which is best done gradually and progressively, search the UCE section of the Forum (there is 'Search' on the top left) - there is a wealth of info.  If you have any doubt, just ask it.  While you are at it, buy a 'Service Manual' that is separate from the 'Owners Manual'.  The 'Service Manual' has all the details on maintenance and pictures.  And buy an extra Oil Filter Kit because you will need to change the first oil pretty soon.  The dealer should be able to bring all these things together with the bike - and you are ready to explore the back roads of Florida with a silly grin on your face  ;D !  
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 02:59:57 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 03:38:41 pm
The folks in Holopaw are good people.  If you can spare the time it is a fun trip just to look at all the cool bikes they have in the shop.  I would tote it back and break it in easy.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Raj V

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 10:40:41 pm
Thanks guys. I will try to get it delivered.

robbw

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 10:50:25 pm
Get it delivered, then follow the break in advice in this forum.  Happy riding.

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 11:12:32 pm
My vote is to ride it, and ride it sensibly for those 200 miles, Trailers? vans/ delivery? FFS, if these Enfields are as good as people rant on about whats the problem? If it can't do 200 miles without seizures/breakdowns then it was not worth buying, If it was Japanese, the question would not have even been raised.   ???
You will always find that women that have lost thier virginity, still have the box it came in!

Royal Enfield, making mechanics out of owners since 1893.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 11:43:25 pm
thats a good point especially if we talking about a new c5..
Oh Magoo you done it again

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 12:15:53 am
I just got a message from the San Francisco dealer. Was supposed to have a black C5 last week, then this week, now he doesn't know when.. A quick call to Fresno BMW. They have 6 bikes in stock! Including a black C5! It will be about 200 miles and avoiding the highway most of the way. I'll head down on Thursday.

They did offer to deliver but I own bikes to ride them. If you ever see my bike on a trailer, call the cops! It is being stolen.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 01:47:48 am
I'd plan for one or two long stops on that ride.  Heat cycles (fully hot, then back to fully cool) are an important part of break in.  Maybe go 40-50 miles and then take a long lunch.

Scott

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 02:15:57 am
I just looked at my calendar. JURY DUTY on Thursday. I completely forgot. I guess it will be Friday. Yeah, I figured lots of breaks along the 2-lane.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 03:09:24 am
My vote is to ride it, and ride it sensibly for those 200 miles, Trailers? vans/ delivery? FFS, if these Enfields are as good as people rant on about whats the problem? If it can't do 200 miles without seizures/breakdowns then it was not worth buying, If it was Japanese, the question would not have even been raised.   ???

Well - I'm glad SOMEBODY finally said it! If I said it, someone would think I was bragging. Bottom line - RIDE the darn thing! It has a warranty - and a good one at that. If ALL else fails (I'd be TRULY surprised ...), I'll have MY grubby hands on it .... so there you go. These new Enfields ARE that good!  ;D
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 03:24:23 am
Yep.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association