Author Topic: Cracked frame n stuff  (Read 2811 times)

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
on: October 25, 2013, 01:07:54 pm
I took my bike over to my mates place today to do a few things, service oil and filters , the fork oil and see if I could re- align the front wheel which seems slightly crooked after my tumble, and put in my new 18 tooth sprocket ,and just clean the poor thing.
After I pulled the right footpeg I found a crack in the frame just behind the engine mount where it meets the foot peg. I cleaned it up and my mate welded it, and I gave it a coat of primer.im pretty confident that it will be plenty strong - tig weld by the way, but I want to let everyone know so you can check yours. After that I went to fit the sprocket and found an 18 tooth already there! Cleaned out all the grunge from the chain, lubed and greased every thing . Stripped out the battery and air box and cleNed them . When I pulled the magnetic plug I found more metal shards than usual. Thing is , since my tumble there has been a kind of a rattle in the case like something is tumbling around in there. Didn't find any thing on the right hand side so tommorow ill pick up a left side gasket (I hope) and have a look inside . If any one has any thoughts on what it might be please let me know, it sounds like a nut on the loose. Anyhow back to reassembly- cheers  Dave.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 02:42:53 pm by AussieDave »
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

Roeland

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 01:36:30 pm
Another member of our RE MC had the frame cracked in exactly the same position. Could this be something that happens on a regular basis? Why not changing the sprocket to 19T - it worked for me.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 02:24:34 pm
 Yeah that may be a way forward. I was really surprised though- I thought they shipped with 17 teeth. I guess it's handy to have a spare in the longer term. I bought the bike second hand - it was the first one I'd seen I had to have it. It had 1600 k on the clock barely run in they said.i As new they said .So how come its got a different sprocket is wat I wanna know! 
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 06:33:21 pm
You didn't mention which bike you have, but a C5 comes with an 18T sprocket because of the 18" wheel. The upgrade is to a 19T sprocket.
That crack in the frame has been seen on a few bikes. Jack had one on his G5. After it was welded, he never had any more problems with it.
The only thing that I can recall being loose in the crankcase was a pin from the shift cam, but was discovered when the pin came out with the oil. It also, as I recall, was the second gear pin and wouldn't shift right going by the gear. It wasn't rattling, either, just happened to fall out with the oil.
The stuff on the magnet is about average for 1000 miles. Your next oil change should be much cleaner.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 08:04:44 pm
Is the rattle louder near the left side case?  Might be the auto-tensioner for the timing chain is not doing it's job.  Easy to check, just remove the left side cover.

Scott

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 10:38:29 pm
Sorry, I should qualify- the bike is a g5  , I've had it about a year and am approaching 18000 k .i change the oil every 4000 k or so and the filter every 8000k , and I've never seen so much debris before . Something's  lose some where. The engine was running and changing gear fine though. I'm going to pull the left side as soon as I can ding a gasket- today- just hoping I find the trouble there and don't have to split the main case.