Author Topic: Test rode a G5 today  (Read 10118 times)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #15 on: February 20, 2011, 03:32:16 pm
The deal with crusing at 60-65mph is the inability to quickly pass a vehicle going slightly less speed.  This was painfully obvious last week when my brother, on his new Ducati GT1000, just disappeared when he touched the throttle.  Obviously this means that we Bulleteers have to think ahead in these situations.  That might not be a bad thing, though, thinking ahead.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: February 20, 2011, 03:48:28 pm
well i grew up in Philly and to be honest, i would have reservation of driving a enfield on the 76 expressway, east/west riverr drive on a workday, 309. I-95, etc to get back n forth to work everyday . The roads are heavily salted, potholes from hell (typical Pa.)and pissed off cagers. The last place I want to be  is a enfield in Philly in the morning rush but hey I'm not 23 either. I think a BMW or Japanese bike would hold up better in that enviorment  and be safer Now it would be fun to have to ride to Fairmont park, river road, Roxborough, Norristown, Ambler...The more I think about it, I can see someone driving a enfield on the expressway at 07:30 and having to take a second look to see if my eyes are deceiving me...It would be a serious mistake  and the longer you did it the better the chances you' re not going to make it to 25...But hey Cheney needs a new heart..For God sake use your noodle and since u do it anyway on your current machine, do u really think this is the way to go to work everyday.. Not trying to be harsh (well yeah i am) but don't want to see anything bad to happen to you. People don't give a rats ass and u need power to get out of their way...
Oh Magoo you done it again

Fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 06:01:03 pm
GreenMachine, I totally understand where you're coming from, but it's not 76, 95, or any other major highway that I use. I live right off of Rt. 3, and take that all the way eastward until it becomes Market St.

Yes, there's still risk, but it's not risk at 70mph. The KLR screamed when I took it on 95, so I don't think I'll be doing that again. The wind on that road is also incredible, so I don't really enjoy getting blown around on it. I tried the expressway on a 250cc scooter, and just about shat myself. That's a mistake once made not soon forgotten. But all in all I've found 3 to be relatively manageable, as crappy as the road itself is. If the C5 can't handle it, then I'll just keep on using the KLR and get something nicer for the weekends. There's no reason to beat the hell out of a nice bike to save $5 a week in gasoline.

The more I think of it, the more it seems that RE needs to get production of this new multifuel adventure bike underway!

Maturin,

Vielen Dank für the advice. Good to know the UCE can scream along, if asked to, without grenading.
2000 KLR650 - Clack Clack the Sorry Green Bastard
2009 Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 06:02:36 pm
well i grew up in Philly and to be honest, i would have reservation of driving a enfield on the 76 expressway, east/west riverr drive on a workday, 309. I-95, etc to get back n forth to work everyday . The roads are heavily salted, potholes from hell (typical Pa.)and pissed off cagers. The last place I want to be  is a enfield in Philly in the morning rush but hey I'm not 23 either. I think a BMW or Japanese bike would hold up better in that enviorment  and be safer Now it would be fun to have to ride to Fairmont park, river road, Roxborough, Norristown, Ambler...The more I think about it, I can see someone driving a enfield on the expressway at 07:30 and having to take a second look to see if my eyes are deceiving me...It would be a serious mistake  and the longer you did it the better the chances you' re not going to make it to 25...But hey Cheney needs a new heart..For God sake use your noodle and since u do it anyway on your current machine, do u really think this is the way to go to work everyday.. Not trying to be harsh (well yeah i am) but don't want to see anything bad to happen to you. People don't give a rats ass and u need power to get out of their way...

I have to disagree. The equitation of power = safeness isn´t correct. Far from it! The possibility of quick overtaking is balanced by the higher ammount of skill and concentration needed to stay on the road under any circumstances. Especially when conditions get rough, the bike´s reserved character makes it an enjoyable commuter when the big bikes become undrivable. There is a reason why these bikes climb up the Himalaya.
You need concentration and foresight to get out of someones way, power doesn´t help much in most cases and is a constant temptation to do something stupid  for most riders including myself.
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #19 on: February 20, 2011, 06:25:35 pm
So I will restate my question:   60-65 miles per hour (about 100-110 km/h)  long drives Yea or nay?   

Yes, that would be about my max.  A couple things to keep in mind.  It may not be comfortable at those speeds without a windshield (that's often a personal matter for the rider) and as Stack mentioned, there's not much reserve power.  If you're expecting to need to speed up to pass or stay safe, or if you expect many uphill jaunts, you're on the edge here.  As mentioned, my Ducati 800 would also just 'disappear' when I tapped the throttle, even at 70mph+.  Just a lot more power.

Scott

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #20 on: February 20, 2011, 07:53:48 pm
Nigel, I understand the confusion. When I say taller I mean like being in 5th vs 4th. I also know that a higher numerical ratio results in higher rpm for a given speed. That said, the countershaft sprocket is the front one your chain wraps around. When you put a larger diameter sprocket on the front you lower your cruise rpm. Because of the chain link sizes more teeth are required for that larger diameter. Tbe opposite is true of the rear sprocket. Stunt bikes have huge rear sprockets and go 12 mph in 1st even with all that hp. Manufacturers have to strike a balance between power/economy engine output and cruise speed. We tinkerers like to change things even when they don't need it. My KLR has a smaller front sprocket so I can wheelie easier in the dirt. I Iose about 5 mpg but is way more fun. I put the larger one on for my cross country road trip. A 10 minute job on that bike.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #21 on: February 21, 2011, 03:46:41 am
I was thinking about this thread today while doing (an indicated) 65mph against the wind.  My C5, now with 1200 miles, didn't have much of any reserve power, just a little more throttle twist and engine noise, but no oomph.

Understand that my C5 continues to get more responsive as the miles roll on.  But for freeway riding of any serious duration I want more power than 19.5HP or whatever the UCE actually gets at the rear wheel.  Also note that the C5's 18-inch wheels and shorter wheelbase make it a little less high-speed stable than the G5. 

But put the C5 on a secondary road at 45 to 55 and it is in its element where it is most fun and able to get out of trouble easily. 
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: February 21, 2011, 12:07:30 pm
Maturin's (hello again) latest post highlights my confusion:   Here, on the autobahn of all places he seems to indicate that he is regularly doing 110 to 120 without issue (which more than meets my needs) in stock form I assume, but above, Scot ("Ducati Scotty" ) suggests that sustained ( 40 miles ) at 65 to 70 calls for a bigger bike.  Is this just a reflection of personal comfort, or confidence in the machine?

Maybe this question has got lost in the very interesting discussion that follows. But I am with Maturin who I notice has, like me, an open pipe so maybe that makes a difference but I can categorically state that my G5 will hold 65-70 all day without issue. As yet I have no modifications other than the pipe, I don't even have the larger front sprocket. Were I to put that on I imagine it would make holding those speeds even easier.

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #23 on: February 21, 2011, 12:43:44 pm
Interesting Clubman:  That is certainly what he manufacturer says.  I wonder if this boils down to a G 5 /C 5 difference-----19 inch wheels roll furher per engine revolution than 18?  Nigel.

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: February 21, 2011, 01:09:32 pm
Hello Ngel,
       To answer your questions, the dealer ordered and installed my 18 tooth sprocket, ( the one that drives the rear sprocket ). I think the performance is improved, as the engine is not working as hard at higher speeds. The engine certainly has the horse power and torque to handle the upgrade. I believe they come stock with the 17 tooth sprocket because of the road conditions in India, however, they should come with the 18 tooth for the USA market. Just my opinion.

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: February 21, 2011, 01:19:19 pm
P. Schraub :  Is your bike stock in all other respects, or do you have low resistance aftermarket exhaust.  And where are you:  Maturin in in Germany:  I am also wondering if what we are seeing here in the divergence of opinion about the high speed limits and power has to do with the grade of gasoline used:  In the states I belive it is common for gasoline to be cut with up to 15 % Ethanol:  Maybe the people reporting happier top end performance are using better gas?  Nigel

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #26 on: February 21, 2011, 01:22:07 pm
I am becoming increasingly convinced by the posters in this thread that I should get the 18 tooth front sprocket for my G5. Just one question though - and here I expose my ignorance - but what effect will that have on speedo accuracy? For example, does making the gearing 5% taller make the speedo reading 5% less accurate and in which direction? If the speedo overreads by 5% as standard will taller gearing improve the accuracy?

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #27 on: February 21, 2011, 01:30:25 pm
I was thinking about this thread today while doing (an indicated) 65mph against the wind.  My C5, now with 1200 miles, didn't have much of any reserve power, just a little more throttle twist and engine noise, but no oomph.

Understand that my C5 continues to get more responsive as the miles roll on.  But for freeway riding of any serious duration I want more power than 19.5HP or whatever the UCE actually gets at the rear wheel.  Also note that the C5's 18-inch wheels and shorter wheelbase make it a little less high-speed stable than the G5.  

But put the C5 on a secondary road at 45 to 55 and it is in its element where it is most fun and able to get out of trouble easily.  
Prof, when your bike has around 2000 miles it'll be a different animal.  My C5 now has 8700 miles on it and I ride  60-65 everywhere, with power to spare. It'll go from 60 to 70 quickly even up hill. But I still don't want to ride on a freeway with it.  I live where the roads are all steep narrow and twisty and the C5 is right at home on them.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 09:48:46 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #28 on: February 21, 2011, 01:31:37 pm
I am becoming increasingly convinced by the posters in this thread that I should get the 18 tooth front sprocket for my G5. Just one question though - and here I expose my ignorance - but what effect will that have on speedo accuracy? For example, does making the gearing 5% taller make the speedo reading 5% less accurate and in which direction? If the speedo overreads by 5% as standard will taller gearing improve the accuracy?
Since your speedo is driven off the front wheel, changing the sprocket won't have any effect on it. If I lived where the roads were flatter I'd order a 19 tooth front sprocket, but where I live the 18 is perfect,
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 01:38:03 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #29 on: February 21, 2011, 01:43:58 pm
Since your speedo is driven off the front wheel, changing the sprocket won't have any effect on it. If I lived where the roads were flatter I'd order a 19 tooth front sprocket, but where I live the 18 is perfect,

DOH!! ;D I did think that was distinctly possible but wasn't confident of my logic! Thanks r80rt!  :)