Author Topic: c5 or t100 bonneville  (Read 10850 times)

chonpuun

• Scooter
on: February 18, 2011, 07:24:18 pm
i read the forum every day ,enfield bikes are a big part of my life. i have a 2005 black classic 500 ,single seat  amal carb and short silencer most sunday mornings i ride about 100ks over hills   on back roads  riding the bullet listning to the thumping exhaust  makes me feel alive , often i yell and shout  go the bullet,riding a 500 single is one of lifes experiances. my grandfather  in 1925 had a royalenfield, so to me it was amazing in 2005  i owned one . i also have a 07 triumph bonny  a good looking ,very reliable  bike  can not fault it more power than i need  in fact  i ride the bullet a lot better. age group i suppose,  trouble is no yell factor.  thinking of selling it and buying a red c5 ,can any one on the forum tell me if the c5  has character  and feel like the ironhead bullets . thans in advance  rick ,australia

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 07:34:06 pm
I sold a '05 Bonnie black to get a red C5, I've never regretted it ;D I couldn't fault the Bonneville either, it was a great bike.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 02:14:48 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 09:39:53 pm
All the character and feel you could wish for and by and large trouble free. I don't recall anyone here regretting the purchase and I don't think you will either.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 05:20:18 am
i read the forum every day, enfield bikes are a big part of my life. i have a 2005 black classic 500 ,single seat  amal carb and short silencer most sunday mornings i ride about 100ks over hills  

... . thinking of selling it and buying a red c5 ,can any one on the forum tell me if the c5  has character  and feel like the ironhead bullets . thans in advance  rick ,australia

@Rick:

From your post it seems you have a good iron-barrel RE Bullet 2005 and it is running fine.  The newer UCE electronic fuel engine (EFI) bikes that includes C5 are a whole different bikes in every aspect.  The newer bikes are lot easier to maintain.  Require no valve adjustment or adjusting / cleaning the carbureter (there is none) and only one oil change and once in a while chain adjustment.

The chasis of C5 is different from that of G5 (Electra in UK), which is similar to AVL or iron-barrel.  The wheels of C5 are smaller and tire size is 18" vs. G5 which is 19".  Therefore C5 may be quicker to weave.  Secondly the newer bikes have thump but it is not the same as that of older bikes.  The idle is different because EFI feedback determines the idle RPM - so it goes up or down when you come to a stop.  

My advice is that you go to a dealer and TEST RUN a C5 at least once or preferrably twice.  Then you will konw if you want to sell your iron-barrel.  *Do you want to sell iron barrel or bonneville ? or How about keeping all three bikes and later deciding which one you want to sell ?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 05:53:57 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

chonpuun

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 08:42:55 am
thanks for the feedback ,singhg5 .would never sell the enfield as it is family .thinking of selling  bonny for c5 although cannot fault bonniville. thanks rick australia

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 09:32:15 am
 The newer UCE electronic fuel engine (EFI) bikes that includes C5 are a whole different bikes in every aspect.

Br. singhg5 I have to respectfully disagree ( sort of ). The UCE bikes are chock full of even more Bullet goodness than the earlier models! ;) all of the virtues and none of the vices   ;D
No matter where you go, there, you are.

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 12:46:45 pm
An interesting dilemna.   I suspect from your comments that what "makes you shout" is the low end torque/momentum  that is the hallmark of long stroke high mass flywheel engines :  Your Bonne is void n this department because it is actually a modern "oversquare' high revving engine, which means it doesn't hit its stride until much higher up the rev curve, and then with less sense of visceral "grunt".  You could capture that with the Kawasaki W650 or W800 (brand spanking new) and still have the Bonne twin format with high speed performance superior to either type of Enfield    So if you want higher speed performance with the punch you like, that is the bike .  More $.   As far as the choice between Enfields, frankly taste is highly subjective.  I personally far prefer the G 5 to the C 5 from a visual styling point of view, and if you are planning any off/rough road , the 19 inch wheels are an asset in this regard.   Performance and maintenance wise , either in UCE format is well ahead of what you now have, .  I cannot comment on the "thump" but if that is a dealbreaker, there are aftermarket exhausts to fix it and enhance performance a bit.  With currently availabel aftermarket mods (filters Power Commander, , low resistance exhaust) it seems likely that you can squeek another 20% performance in hp out of the UCE without loss of low end.   And the internal mods are just starting , but from all the discussion groups I follow, if you really want to do it up, I don't think 40 hp is out of reach with internal engine mods that may become available (piston kits, cams, possible oversize cylinder barrels etc)  In other words, the UCE is a work in progress, so buying one doesn't marry you to the current performance profile.  Check out the newly announced "Bullet Black 500' just announced in New York....same great UCE engine disc brakes etc with a Bullet 350 body style and a small cost advantage too:Tons of aftermarket parts cheap   And look at the girders that support the fenders:   You could carry a lot of stuff on that rig mate.  happy choosing    Nigel Canadas

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 05:45:23 pm
Test ride a C5.  Try a G5 too, they feel very different and you might prefer it.  It will answer all your questions and make your decision easy.

Scott

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 06:18:51 pm
i really think i like a c5 when they get here with the kickstart....u guys pretty much have convinced me that the ticket...I have a iron so their is my G5...Kinda
Oh Magoo you done it again

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 06:56:01 pm
I think you'll be happy with one, red is fastest. ;D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 07:05:35 pm
they are really nice bikes.....curious to see if their is any color changes in the future...i really like that grey look on a older enfield ...forget the name of the actual color...military is nice too. hell they all nice..
Oh Magoo you done it again

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 07:38:44 pm
Yeah I remember that gray, I really like the color. Maybe it'll make a comeback.
Iron Butt Association

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 07:44:17 pm
It is an option on the domestic market 350. Very pretty.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 07:45:42 pm
I think you'll be happy with one, red is fastest. ;D

Is that why you get speeding tickets so often  ;D ? Blame it on the color !
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 08:22:27 pm
Ha, That's one of my favorite things about riding a RE, I don't have to jump on the brakes everytime I see a cop cause I KNOW I'm not speeding! ;D
Iron Butt Association