Author Topic: Larger drive sprocket  (Read 7929 times)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 02:00:37 am
Because the C5 has smaller tyres it has a larger gear (18T). Conversely the G5 has 17. You can put an 18T on a G5 but cannot go any higher on a C5 because of clearance issues .
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 02:17:57 am
One of the major meeting places is Alices' Restaurant ( yes, the one in the song ! ) at a crossroad in Woodside

Nope. Even though they have the "Group W Bench", it is not the Alice's from the song. That one is in Stockbridge Mass. I stop in there as often as I can. Mine's a black C5. What's yours?

rajithcherian

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 04:32:15 am
Because the C5 has smaller tyres it has a larger gear (18T). Conversely the G5 has 17. You can put an 18T on a G5 but cannot go any higher on a C5 because of clearance issues .

Im running a 19T front sprocket on my C5.. No clearance issue whatsoever. Infact one could run a 20T provided you dont have the kick start lever.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 04:33:54 am
Im running a 19T front sprocket on my C5.. No clearance issue whatsoever. Infact one could run a 20T provided you dont have the kick start lever.

Is that an RE part? Did you have to pull the primary to do it?

rajithcherian

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 07:09:56 am
Is that an RE part? Did you have to pull the primary to do it?

Its not an RE part. I got it from Hitchcock. And yes the right primary case has to be removed to do this job.

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 09:02:28 am
People in India use this bike not only to commute but for traveling long distance /touring
which could mean a 350-425 miles ride per day. The bike takes it all rather well. And the new highways are not slow at all. Cars travel well above 70 mph and bikes like Bullet can do 60-65 mph. So do not worry and just enjoy the ride.

Man I just forgot you guys have the luxury of 2 years unlimited miles, way to go.....!!

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 09:07:00 am
Not if we change the sprocket we don't.........
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: March 09, 2011, 12:59:19 pm
Hello Olhogrider,
        Dam!, I didn't know there were TWO Alices' ! Thanks for that info. My G5 Deluxe is black and chrome with a springer solo seat, Electra chrome front fender, chrome luggage racks w/ Royal Enfield saddle bags, after market turn signals, 7" headlight, Triumph handlebars, and of course, the 18 tooth sprocket ! I'm an old Harley rider also.......still have my 79' Shovel head that I brought brand new in 79' for $ 4,200 out the door !

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #23 on: March 09, 2011, 04:46:23 pm
I agree with Br. Kevin, there is not much room to go with a bigger sprocket on C5 which we can say is safe enough. Hitchcock says if you don't have a kick shaft then its fine to go with 19, 20. I think otherwise as there is hardly 3-4mm gap between the chain and engine chamber and going bigger is surely not safe. See for yourself the gap with 18T sprocket.

rajithcherian

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 09:22:27 am
I agree with Br. Kevin, there is not much room to go with a bigger sprocket on C5 which we can say is safe enough. Hitchcock says if you don't have a kick shaft then its fine to go with 19, 20. I think otherwise as there is hardly 3-4mm gap between the chain and engine chamber and going bigger is surely not safe. See for yourself the gap with 18T sprocket.

Randhawa.. Yes the fit was tighter than th pic you have shown but not that cramped. I could not get a proper picture of it when this was replaced. Anyways I have run about 500km so far and will run about 2000km in the next couple of weeks. If it holds up then I guess its safe enough.

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 11:32:40 am
I am sure you can run 20T too but I am not too comfortable with leaving too less space for any mishaps. If you keep the rear sprocket and chain in good health then you are safe as long as you keep things under check.

Once I was told a story of a guy who lost his life on  TBTS when for some reason the chain got stuck in front resulting in breaking and jamming up the engine causing serious accident. The black stopper on our swing arm is a result of that serious event  to counter the problem of chain bouncing when the chain is too loose.

I am just a bit too fussy about things like that but if you keep things in check then you should be safe.

rajithcherian

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: March 10, 2011, 03:51:30 pm
I am sure you can run 20T too but I am not too comfortable with leaving too less space for any mishaps. If you keep the rear sprocket and chain in good health then you are safe as long as you keep things under check.

Once I was told a story of a guy who lost his life on  TBTS when for some reason the chain got stuck in front resulting in breaking and jamming up the engine causing serious accident. The black stopper on our swing arm is a result of that serious event  to counter the problem of chain bouncing when the chain is too loose.

I am just a bit too fussy about things like that but if you keep things in check then you should be safe.

*Gulp*

Now Im a little scared....
However I keep my chain and sprocket in mint condition. Hope that helps...