Author Topic: Larger drive sprocket  (Read 7930 times)

gus

• Scooter
on: February 18, 2011, 03:47:07 am
Hi,have just changed the drive sprocket on my G5 Deluxe from a 17 tooth to !8 tooth,this makes the gearing about 6% higher,meaning I don,t have to rev the engine so high.As I am always solo,the decrease in pulling power is negligible,though I do have to stay in each gear a little longer when shifting up. The C5 model comes standard with 18 tooth drive but has a slightly smaller rear tyre Regards  Gus.

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 07:12:23 pm
Hi Gus   I just wanted to bring your thread forward because it doesn't seem anyone responded.   There has been lots of sprocket talk in recent threads.  Other people making this switch have actually commented that the prolongation of 1st gear is handy.  how do you find it?    What is your typical cruise speed now?  What about hills at speed?  Any other ods on your bike, or just stock other than sprocket?  There seems to be a diversity of opnion about the stock bikes comfortable highway cruising speed, with some , like you , switchng to a bigger front sprocket and others saying that their stock bike is just fine at 65-70:  Yet others feel best at 55-60 on the stock sprocket.  Nigel 

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 07:24:28 pm
Nigel, Every one rides a bit differently, what feels good for one rider won't feel good for the next guy. The roads we ride on are vastly different and that will affect riding style too. Rider weight , height and experience also plays a part in it. These bikes are relatively new and low mileage. As the mileage on the engine increases to over 2000 miles or so, the comfortable cruising speed will increase (about 5mph in my case)
The only way you are going to get the answers you want will be to spend so a few thousand miles in the saddle. Then you will know what, if any, mods you want to make to your bike for the way you ride.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 10:11:44 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

realoldfart

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 09:08:04 pm
Replacing the 17T cc sprocket with an 18 sounds like a great idea so I went out in the garage and looked at my 2011 G5 to see how much trouble it would be to do that. The way it looks, ya gotta pull off the entire right engine sidecover to get at the sprocket. I'd be willing to do that IF IF there are no hidden unpleasant surprises on the inside, like major oil or electrical connections to deal with. Is it just a matter of draining the oil, pulling the cover, replacing the gasket and sprocket and bolting it back on again?
         Thank you.    realoldfart       Wayne in northern California

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 09:39:46 pm
Not really any surprises in there. Be carefull with the stator wires if you don't unplug it.

gus

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 08:36:42 am
Good to get a positive response on my article regarding 18 tooth sprocket on the G5.After I got the bike I joined the Royal Enfield Club here in Perth and have had many enjoyable rides,there motto is "We dont go far and we dont go fast",however as my level of experience increased,and my enjoyment at riding the bike also increased,I decided to join The Ulysses Club ,open to all bikers over 40 years of age,all bike makes.All these guys ride big cruisers,I definitely have the smallest bike,had to get a speed increase to keep up without overreving the engine,feel much more comfortable now,have a bike for both worlds.Local dealer did the job for me ,charged one hours labour,so not a big job,you have to drain the oil,would suggest you wait till
oil change due.Also check chain to see if you need to lengthen it. Find 1st gear much better,think it was too low originally,now cruise happily at highway speeds. Gus.

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 05:50:49 pm
I would imagine the need to lengthen the chain to accomodate the oversize sprocket would only apply to a fairly new unit:  Chain stetch should allow replacement without more links after a few thousand miles.    Nigel

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 09:39:39 pm
Hi Gus! Greetings from Bavaria to Australia!
Glad to hear you didn´t have to face the same problem I had with the sprocket change:
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,8514.0.html
The chain, however, is not an issue as long you don´t change the sprocket when you get your new bike. A couple of thousand kms later wear will have lengthen your chain enough to fit comfortable.
Since the change I drove ca. 4000 kms. I don´t see any disadvantage, but the prolonged 1st gear fits much better if you usually drive solo. The engine´s power is still sufficient to pull the bike in 5th - and I didn´t even tuned it up (yet ;D).
Altogether the result of the (occasionally annoing) work is a better usuable bike, probably better acceleration (at least if your clutch is fresh enogh) and ca. 400 rpm less on the Autobahn, what should save your engine and lower fuel consumption.
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Tecomakeith

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 09:55:13 pm
Hi Gus, I must enquire with dealer in Victoria about putting 18T on my C5. I just spent a week touring Tasmania clocking up just on 2000 k's. There was 24 of us and 16 of them owned HD's. Bike cruised at 100K easily, did some distance at 110K's speed but I didn't like the wind gusts. The bike felt a little unstable at that slightly higher speed. Put an Enfield amongst 16 HD's and everyone plus passers-by only wanted to talk about the Enfield, got sick of it in the end.

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 10:58:11 pm
Hi Tecomakeith,
I had the same feelings re slightly unstable in cross winds etc. I fitted a screen and could not get over the difference it made. Highly recommended.

Cheers

Hocko (Nth Qld)

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 11:11:10 pm
Hi Gus, I must enquire with dealer in Victoria about putting 18T on my C5.

The C5 comes with a 18T sprocket om it.
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 01:11:31 am
Hello Gus !
          I have a 2010 G5 Deluxe that I upgraded to the 18 tooth. It was the most important modification I have made. I can cruise all day at 65-70, or if I want to push it a little, 75. I can hit 85 tops on level roads. I live in California and have an amazing variety of roads in the San Francisco Bay Area. One of the major meeting places is Alices' Restaurant ( yes, the one in the song ! ) at a crossroad in Woodside. There are riders from all over the World here. Every time I stop there with my Enfield, I draw a big crowd ! My point is that the 18 tooth sprocket works great in the mountains or on the freeway. There is no point in over revving your engine at cruising speeds.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 01:30:32 am by P. Schraub »

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 01:13:58 am
Hello Gus !

Tecomakeith

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 01:25:41 am
Well there you go, no need to pursue looking for the 18T spocket on my C5. Why the G5 hasn't got them as standard?? if the C5 has??

Hi Hocko.

I was thinking of buying the Sheild for my bike, as I was travelling down from Devonport to Hobart 2 weeks ago, it was blowing a gale and with the heavy rain I could barely see the road. I'm also thing of putting the short up-swept muffler on.

Tecomakeith (Vic)

YJake

• Scooter
  • Exploring the Sunshine State
Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 01:53:55 am
Hrmmm.

After I put more miles on my G5 you guys have me wanting to throw an 18T sprocket in there. That with a free flow exhaust and air filter should make my 24mile 60-70mph commute more comfortable each day. 8)

It is doing 65mpg now and dabbling up to 70mph and feels fine, but my mpg did drop from 68 to 64 when I started taking it on the interstate.

-Jake
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost..."

2010 Royal Enfield G5

1973 Honda CL125