Author Topic: Fuel Injector & Valve Cleaner / Lube for Motorcycle ?  (Read 22757 times)

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: February 27, 2011, 03:31:44 pm
YES! The fuel blend will definitely affect mileage and performance - more ethanol - less mileage, percent for percent almost. It's exacerbated on a ONE cylinder engine because you FEEL every firing cycle, too .... one or two lean hiccups in a row and you are going "WTF????" ................

How does it affect performance though.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #46 on: February 27, 2011, 05:24:54 pm
How does it affect performance though.

More ethanol = less energy dense = LEAN. It affects performance the same way a stopped up jet would while its rusting away anything ferrous that it touches and corroding anything alloy as well that it comes in contact with. Of course if one TUNES the engine for alky - the performance gains (and fuel economy lost!) can be astounding. Because it's virtually impossible to get alky to detonate, compression ratios of 15:1 are possible - and that takes the clap-trap, reciprocating, Otto-cycle thing to the upper right corner of the thermodynamically efficient chart. Think Top Fuel engine again here - 600 cubic inches - 8000+ horsepower. Don't try this at home ......  ;)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: February 28, 2011, 02:13:26 am
Ha!

That's broaching on a question I've had for years.
In Canada  there are four grades of gasoline type fuel commonly available
The four  grades are:        Regular Unleaded     -  87 Octane  10% Ethanol
                                     Mid grade Unleaded  - 89 Octane     5% Ethanol
                                     Premium Unleaded     - 91 Octane     0% Ethanol
                                     Sunoco Ultra             - 94 Octane  100% Something
There is a round 4-6 cents difference in the price per litre between each grade. The higher ethanol content is cheaper fuel.

Here's my rambling question... More fuel is needed to be burned of the lower grade fuel to make the equivalent power obtainable in the higher grade fuel, such as premium @ 91 octane or Sunoco's 94 octane.  Does the use of lower grade fuel actually save money per KM (or mile or furlong etc) or will the higher grade save in the end? Does the cost per litre per bang for the buck work out as equal?
Are we robbing our engines of real gasoline to psychologically save a few cents per litre and end up burning more than those few cents we saved?

میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #48 on: February 28, 2011, 02:23:07 am

Are we robbing our engines of real gasoline to psychologically save a few cents per litre and end up burning more than those few cents we saved?

A WINNAH!!! Premium fuels will usually give better fuel mileage as they are more energy dense with iso-octane - the stuff that REAL GAS-O-LINE is made from. You'd have to do the math on YOUR mileage - but I've found out that on most of my junque, it's very close to being a wash - so I just use the better stuff to prevent ethanol corrosion and get the good cleaners (toluene, xylene) that are found in better grade motor fuels.
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: February 28, 2011, 05:33:08 am
Huh.  I've always put the 91 Octane in the Slug because an extra 50 cents or a dollar on a fill-up seemed inconsequential.  I didn't know the lower grades were actually BAD for it. 
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: March 03, 2011, 12:34:14 am
          RESULTS OF LUCAS INJECTOR CLEANER & UPPER CYLINDER
                         LUBE / VALVE LUBE IN MOTORCYCLE

Nobody replied 'yes' to my question if any one had used the above product in their motorcycle.  So, I tried it in my G5 - turning it into a guinea pig.  

I added a little bit to my fuel tank a few days back.  Since then I have covered over 150 miles.  The results are pretty good.  These are my observations -

1.  The valve noise is less.
2.  The idle is more stable.
3.  The fluctuations in idle engine rpm, due to EFI doing its 'thing' are less.
4.  The pick up is better.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #51 on: March 03, 2011, 12:48:30 am
         RESULTS OF LUCAS INJECTOR CLEANER & UPPER CYLINDER
                         LUBE / VALVE LUBE IN MOTORCYCLE

Nobody replied 'yes' to my question if any one had used the above product in their motorcycle.  So, I tried it in my G5 - turning it into a guinea pig.  

I added a little bit to my fuel tank a few days back.  Since then I have covered over 150 miles.  The results are pretty good.  These are my observations -

1.  The valve noise is less.
2.  The idle is more stable.
3.  The fluctuations in idle engine rpm, due to EFI doing its 'thing' are less.
4.  The pick up is better.

How much of that little bottle did you put in? I've used it in my truck and did notice improvement in pick up.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: March 03, 2011, 12:56:27 am
How much of that little bottle did you put in? I've used it in my truck and did notice improvement in pick up.

Chris-

I did not measure, but my guess is about 1/2 to 1 ounce (15 to 30 ml) in my G5 gas tank.  My tank was almost full with gasoline at that time.  Don't need much.

That little bottle of about 5 oz can treat upto 25 gallons !  
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 01:54:40 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5