Author Topic: Fuel Injector & Valve Cleaner / Lube for Motorcycle ?  (Read 22736 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
on: February 18, 2011, 02:59:20 am
In my local auto store, they sell a lot of this Lucas fuel additive which supposedly cleans fuel injector and valves in cars.  Anyone used this in motorcycle ?  What do you think about trying it in RE EFI ?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 05:47:37 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 07:23:09 am
Remember your tank is small, these bottles are usually designed for 10-20 gallons ;)

Some of these things work, some don't.  Most do no harm in the recommended amounts.  Any reason you think you need your injector cleaned?

Scott

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 01:39:39 pm
There's a good chance that it is completely unnecessary.
The alcohol that is already mixed in to the gasoline now, up to maybe 10% or even more in some places, is a powerful cleaning agent.

Most of the active ingredients in these injector cleaners are alcohols, and maybe some de-lacquering agent like Xylene..
Home of the Fireball 535 !

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 03:05:53 pm
Crappy motor fuel has asphalt and tar added to lower the vapor pressure of the volatile aromatics that it's made of. Continuous use of the fuel should NOT result in any buildup as ACE points out - the toluene and xylene are powerful solvents - as well as flammable.

That being said - IF an injector is truly in need of cleaning, it should be taken to a shop with the equipment to do it. This usually entails cramming solvent (toluene, acetone, xylene, etc ...) through the injector at around 150psig and cycling it through over and over for a half hour or so. Arbitrarily adding "stuff" to the fuel isn't going to do all that much - and you stand the risk of getting the crap on your paint and the GOOD stuff is usually pretty spendy. Just MY $0.02 worth ....... 
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 05:31:41 am
Most of the active ingredients in these injector cleaners are alcohols, and maybe some de-lacquering agent like Xylene..

Continuous use of the fuel should NOT result in any buildup as ACE points out - the toluene and xylene are powerful solvents - as well as flammable.

@ACE and @SB:

Toluene and xylenes are volatile and thin, runny liquids and powerful solvents.  

But this Lucas bottle has an OILY, THICK, VISCOUS liquid that supposedly LUBES the upper cylinder piston ring and cleans and lubes VALVES / Seat.  What do you think it may be ?  Do we need to clean the valves / seat of Bullet ?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 05:49:08 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 09:34:46 am
A little SeaFoam added to the fuel now and then has been doing a good job reducing carbon deposits in my Iron Barrel.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 05:39:36 pm
Singh, it might just be some detergent.  Before detergent motor oils motors had to be regularly disassembled and decarbonized.  Detergent motor oils keeps the carbon suspended in the oil, the way dish detergent keeps grease suspended in water.  Then the carbon just flushes out when you change the oil.

+1 on what SB said, if it needs to be cleaned send it to a shop that does that.

Scott

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 07:38:03 pm
A little SeaFoam added to the fuel now and then has been doing a good job reducing carbon deposits in my Iron Barrel.

@ICE:

I did some search and found that Lucas Fuel Additive contains Heavy Paraffinic Distillate, which is the same ingredient called Pale Oil in SeaFoam !!  This oily substance will lube the parts and also help in wiping off some of the carbon deposits.  The advantage of SeaFoam is that it also contains Isopropanol, which will get rid of water from the fuel, and naphtha which is a petroleum distillate that can act as solvent.

You have introduced me to a new and great product.  Thank you !

Singh,
+1 on what SB said, if it needs to be cleaned send it to a shop that does that.

@Scott:  I do not think that my bike's fuel injector has any problem - at least I don't know of any.  It is running great.  And I want to keep it running that way by taking preventative actions.  I want to avoid carbon deposition in engine or valves and I am looking for ways to prolong the engine life.  

PS - I have started a MSDS Composition Thread in Tech Tips that can help compare products based on their ingredients - it has SeaFoam and Lucas products.  

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,9767.0.html
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 07:43:46 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 08:15:39 pm
I have started a MSDS Composition Thread in Tech Tips that can help compare products based on their ingredients  
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,9767.0.html

Thank YOU Br.singhg !

robbw

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 03:01:26 am
Thanks Singh. This has been a helpful thread. I have been wondering myself it a fuel additive should be used on my bike, but never aggressively pursued it due to the different additives in these things. My local parts store has shelves of this stuff and reading all the ingredients make my head spin.    :-[ :-[

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 03:17:01 am
Use name brand synthetic motorcycle or diesel oil and change it often, every 2k miles as recommended.  I like Mobil 1 R4T moto oil.  These have more of the cushioning sulphur compounds your gearbox needs that are now limited in auto oils for emissions reasons.  Synthetics stand up to the high heat of an air cooled engine better than mineral oils.  Also, buy good name brand gas.  Even economy grade gas has lots of detergents in it and is very good quality these days.

These two liquids will be higher quality than almost any off the shelf additives you buy and do way more to keep your bike healthy.

If you store your bike for any length of time in the winter, fill the tank to prevent condensation and fog the engine.  It protects it very well while it's sitting.

Forget the rest and spend your money on shiny bits and more gas money to ride ;)

Scott

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 08:47:35 pm

If I reduced the carboniferous deposits in MY Iron Barrel - it probably wouldn't run from lack of compression! Hahaha!!  ::)

All of you fellows are correct here - this thread IS a very informative one! Bravo Singhg5 for your discoveries of what "stuff" the additive are made from. Frightening, isn't it? I WILL add that the engineers at RE strongly warn against alcohol fuel additives in the RE as the extra oxygenation for the combustion process will lean the mixture by "fooling" the O2 sensor.

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 05:56:11 am
Here in Cali, our gasoline is just bad. We get a summer and a winter blend, the winter evaporates faster and is anywhere from 10 to 20% alcohol.
Saying it's gasoline is a stretch. It's a poorly combustible liquid filled with odd chemicals.
In our bmw's we started getting bikes hard to start, poor idle, and just running crappy.
Pulling injectors showed flaky white deposits on the nozzles. BMW suggested we use the FI cleaner made for the cars that contains Thecron made by Chevron.
Liquid magic. One ounce per gallon solved all our problems within a few miles.
We now suggest it every few months.
I checked the MSDS sheets on our product vs. the chevron branded stuff sold at auto parts stores and Costco.
The BMW cleaner has 3 times the amount of Toulene than the other stuff.
It also contains a gas preservative, an anti oxidant and an anti corrosion additive.
For modern vehicles using the "film strip" type of fuel sender, this keeps things clean.
It's about 15.00 per 20oz. Bottle so it goes a long way.
it's approved for carby bikes as well and helps keep the pilot jets and passages clean as well.
Again, we Cali folks have a unique gasoline issue.
Sorry for the long post.
BA
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 07:32:14 am
GOOD tip! It sounds like the research was done on this cleaner / conditioner - it has the mixture of mojo to work wonders cleaning up that miserable crap they call "gasoline".  ;)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 10:39:32 am
Here in Cali, our gasoline is just bad. We get a summer and a winter blend, the winter evaporates faster and is anywhere from 10 to 20% alcohol.
Saying it's gasoline is a stretch. It's a poorly combustible liquid filled with odd chemicals.
In our bmw's we started getting bikes hard to start, poor idle, and just running crappy.
Pulling injectors showed flaky white deposits on the nozzles. BMW suggested we use the FI cleaner made for the cars that contains Thecron made by Chevron.
Liquid magic. One ounce per gallon solved all our problems within a few miles.
We now suggest it every few months.
I checked the MSDS sheets on our product vs. the chevron branded stuff sold at auto parts stores and Costco.
The BMW cleaner has 3 times the amount of Toulene than the other stuff.
It also contains a gas preservative, an anti oxidant and an anti corrosion additive.
For modern vehicles using the "film strip" type of fuel sender, this keeps things clean.
It's about 15.00 per 20oz. Bottle so it goes a long way.
it's approved for carby bikes as well and helps keep the pilot jets and passages clean as well.
Again, we Cali folks have a unique gasoline issue.
Sorry for the long post.
BA

Thank YOU Sir for the valuable information and experience of your shop !