Author Topic: I really want one!  (Read 14411 times)

hotrod

• Scooter
on: February 16, 2011, 11:48:06 pm
Hello all. I have been reading the forum for a couple weeks.  I decided I needed a cheaper commute vehicle (current is a 50 chrysler, 10mpg) and was actually able to justify the motorcycle to the fiance with the 10mpg vs 85mpg argument (I realize that isn't the normal average mpg on these but sometimes the wheel just needs a little grease).  So the thing is, I really like the c5.  I have seen a few posts regarding the kickstart on them (coming to the US), but no conjectures on a timeline...any ideas? Also, anybody got any experience with dealers in SoCal? Any recommendations?  Thanks and I look forward to joining the club.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 11:54:21 pm
Welcome Hotrod! 

Uh, you know that the C5 is NOT a hot rod, right?  65mpg might be more realistic.

The rumor is that all 2011 models will have kick starter, a quaint ancient bit of history that some find somehow satisfying.   ;D
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

hotrod

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 12:00:43 am
I know.  I have been running my route at around 60-65 for the last couple of weeks to make sure I wont get itchy with the reduced speed.  I had been reading about peoples real world mileage and its still awesome compared to what im doing right now, I just meant to grease the wheels with the fiance I used the stated mileage  :)   everything else I have is a quaint ancient bit of history, this might as well be too  ;)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 12:16:03 am
Hello hotrod and welcome aboard.

If the kicker is a deal breaker for you and you don't want to wait you might consider the G5 instead of the C5.

Either way those UCE bikes are superb.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

hotrod

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 12:28:43 am
Thanks for the welcomes guys.  I really need to get in and see a couple of these bikes side by side... from the pictures I've seen, the c looks better from a vintage standpoint (im really into pre-'55 everything....hell, even my stove in my house is a '50 model), but I've seen some pretty good looking gs with the single seat... I'd just buy a vintage one and be done with it, but the" no more projects!" Ax has come down and the new one has a warranty  :)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 12:35:22 am
the" no more projects!" Ax has come down

Then stay out of the photo gallery ! ;)  To much inspiration temptation there  ;D

hotrod

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 12:47:15 am
Man, you ain't kiddin...  every time I'm in there I wind up in an argument with myself...  "hell, that taillight looks goooo....nope! Nope! Just gonna ride it!  Leave the warranty alone!" Hahah

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 01:06:56 am
A C5 will make you grin non stop. welcome aboard!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

robbw

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 01:09:47 am
No matter how you look at it, you're still going to get better (much better) gas mileage than 10 miles to the gallon.  The C5 is pretty nice.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 01:20:03 am
I get 65 mpg with my Iron Barrel. You guys with your UCE's should be able to beat that. Oh wait,,, If mine had the extra pony power of a UCE I'd be using it.,,,,never mind.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 01:20:15 am
The 85mpg figure is based on an Imperial gallon, which is a little bigger than a US gallon.

I have a C5 and the starter is a bit flakey right now.  I'd love to have a kick starter but I'm sure I'll sort out the problems and then it won't matter.  I'd say that there's no definite timeline on US C5s with kickstarter and that doesn't even take into accont the special Cali model.  It may be a while.  Buy a C5 now and move on ;)

One thing, you mention SoCal.  Are you doing much freeway riding?  These aren't the best bikes for lots of 70mph+ travel, power is a little limited and they're happiest in the 55-65mph range.  And even for that you'll want to wait until it's broken in a bit.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 01:29:31 am
 Welcome hotrod. Get the  E start only C-5 before there all gone! They may become collectable, you never know  ;) Enjoy the new bike, what ever you decide.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

hotrod

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 01:38:21 am
This may be a double post, got some weird error message...
Not hard to beat 10mpg, is it? Haha
Dont tempt me guys...im really good at being impatient.
I hear what you guys are saying on the speed, that's why I have been testing out the slow lanes lately.  My route is all freeway, but I can keep it at 60 all day long and not be in anyones way and not be afraid of being runned over.  Beside, this being socal, there are 40 roads to every damn place so I can take the city streets and it only adds 10 mins to the drive which, from what Ive been led to believe, is what these bikes are all about.... ;)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 02:33:48 am
I used to take the long route to work,,,,,until I found the longer route  ;)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 02:46:13 am
Sounds good Rod.  I've been all through Cali and lived in San Diego.  I could ride an Enfield in SD but there are places in LA I'd never consider getting on the freeway.  I was nervous there on my Ducati.

Scott