Author Topic: Special tools for oil change  (Read 2836 times)

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
on: February 16, 2011, 02:13:39 pm
First oil change on G5 last night.  It took a while to get O-ring, Filter, O-ring, plate, O-ring, Washer, Spring, gasket, and cover with O-ring all in order and aligned with spring compressed to get bolts started.  Had a thought:  What if I made two studs with knurled nuts.  Put studs in engine.  insert filter, etc and start cover.  retain cover with one nut on one stud.  Remove other stud and insert bolt.  with cover retained by bolt, remove second stud and insert other bolt.  Studs should be short enough to allow cover to be moved side-to-side to align as necessary.  
Would this make the process easier?  The other alternative would be a thin tool to hold the spring compressed until the cover can be aligned and screws started.  There may not be enough room for that.  Next time I will make some measurements to check.  What are your thoughts?   GA-DK

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 02:45:14 pm
The best thing would be to get the new oil filter E-Z Oil Cap for the UCE which comes with the new bikes nowadays.

http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/e-z-oil-cap-uce.html
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 06:21:45 pm
Some people have tapped their existing cap and added a bolt to make the same thing.

Scott

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 12:30:33 am
Where's the fun in those UCE unitized filter capy-thingys ?

You haven't lived until spring pressure of the Iron Barrels filter system has launched the spring, washer, cap and seal on a short sub orbital trajectory into the dirt.  :D :) :P

No matter where you go, there, you are.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 11:42:15 am
Where's the fun in those UCE unitized filter capy-thingys ?

You haven't lived until spring pressure of the Iron Barrels filter system has launched the spring, washer, cap and seal on a short sub orbital trajectory into the dirt.  :D :) :P

Hahaha! "suborbital trajectory" ...... that's what I used to say about my Makarov pistol when it had a 14-pound (pressure) recoil spring in it ...... I know the trajectory! *BANG* .................................................................................................. tinkle tinkle ......
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 11:46:35 pm
Also on nField gear... the 5 oil change kit. Washers, gaskets, and whatnot.

What am I looking at? Do all of these really need to be replaced at every oil change?

I'm looking at the C5 as a commuter, and I'm currently changing the oil in my KLR about twice a month, so if the routine for the RE UCE isn't as simple as drain / replace filter / fill, it would be irritating.
2000 KLR650 - Clack Clack the Sorry Green Bastard
2009 Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 12:41:17 am
Fox I will not tell you not to change them.

I will say my gaskets and seal ( Iron Barrel ) are still holding up and I have the gasket on board should a leak develop.
Youractualmilagemayveryvoidwhereprohibiteddontsayididnttellyousosomeassemblyrequiredbatteriesnotincludedetcetcadnauseum

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 12:46:07 am
Hahaha! "suborbital trajectory" ...... that's what I used to say about my Makarov pistol when it had a 14-pound (pressure) recoil spring in it ...... I know the trajectory! *BANG* .................................................................................................. tinkle tinkle ......

At least the brass gets a chance to cool before re entry and landing  ;D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 01:16:27 am by Ice »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 02:45:58 am
There are maybe half a dozen rubber o-rings for the C5 that go on the filter ends, the filter cover, and one of the lower drain holes.  if they're still pliable I reuse them.  You may get 2-3 filter changes out of the o-rings.  The other drain plug has a brass washer/gasket.  Like most brass gaskets you can also usually get 2-3 changes from this one.

I get a full set of gaskets and filter.  If I don't need them I use the old ones and just change the filter.  Whenever I end up using the gaskets I get another set with the next filter so I have them on hand if needed.  I think official doctrine is to change them all every time.

Scott