Author Topic: Some lucky guys Fireball, this one  (Read 4785 times)

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead

chumma7

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 02:15:17 am
Hey!
That's not my bike, as the article seems to insinuate, but it is my work!
That's Chuck's freshly remade fireball 10, which he finally got to drive for the first time when I stopped over his place last Sunday. I'll let him give the details and first drive impressions.
I've still got about a week of breakin and some small minor tweaks to do after which he gets to keep it for good but man I wish I could keep this one.

I've been a slouch about updating my flickr page but I just updated everything in the motor section and added another gallery with pics Chuck and I took at the Gowanus Canal in Brooklyn.
The address is here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/god_of_fireball/sets/

I will have an on board video or 2 by the end of the week. I am savoring every last day I have with it.
Chumma
ACE Fireball 001

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 02:48:04 pm
Nice pics and that spark plug wire is  8).

BigDon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 03:36:16 pm
Chumma

Awesome job!

What did you do to the valve covers......I want to copy ...if its OK?

Don
BigDon
REA #73
08 RE Classic, the last of the Iron Barrel Bikes.(FireBall!)
05 Suzuki DRZ 400, for haulin' xxx in the woods!
09 BMW R1200GSA for a change of pace!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SlooDon#p/u

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 04:50:24 pm
gotta love n.y.c.   Forgotten what the city looks and feels like...Mr. Fireball  fits right in....Looks like u having fun living there...Good for u..
Oh Magoo you done it again

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 04:59:59 pm
A b/w pic on the brooklyn bridge with Manhattan in the backdrop would be amazing.

chumma7

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 07:15:21 pm
Thanks Don, Phil and Greemachine.. appreciate the comments,
Don,
About the rocker covers.. go for it man. the color is oldsmobile gold engine paint.
Here's some pics I took while painting the barrel and covers:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/god_of_fireball/5244029638/in/set-72157625555963058/
click next a couple times and you should see em. You'll notice a shot or 2 with the rocker covers under a halogen spotlight. I was painting through winter temps so I used the spotlight to heat things up for the paint to adhere. After 3 coats, it went into the old lady's oven in the dead of the night. Kept a couple window's cracked open in the kitchen and by morning time she never had a clue what went on in there.

Chumma

Awesome job!

What did you do to the valve covers......I want to copy ...if its OK?

Don
ACE Fireball 001

chumma7

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 07:19:21 pm

A b/w pic on the brooklyn bridge with Manhattan in the backdrop would be amazing.
would have been certainly been a choice spot but I'm done taking pictures of this bike!...  Chuck can take and post all the pictures he wants as she gracefully ages. I think an on board video or 2 from me is long due.
ACE Fireball 001

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 08:53:13 pm
I'm getting motivated, the Brooklyn guys are miles ahead. LawnGuyLand must have an answer for this......
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

aleman

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 12:45:34 am
Congratulations you guys on the Kneeslider exposure!   I've been following the build and it turned out just great.  I like that you guys elevated the aesthetics along with the performance.

Soon Chuck you'll be responsible for maintaining that "high polish" - which I love.  The side benefit is you'll know every square centimeter of it and nothing will get by you.

aleman
FB 002

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 02:22:07 am
The Kneeslider is the most awesome motorcycle publication on the web! They always have the coolest stuff on there.
I am so happy to see a Fireball up  on that page again!

And Chumma, you are awesome dude!
Chuck, you have the bike of your life there. Congrats!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 05:27:55 am
Thanks guys. Yep, very lucky.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 03:59:21 pm
Ok. Where s the videoz ???

chumma7

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 06:30:12 pm
Well, you guys asked for it so here's a teaser...
Chuck's first ride around his neighborhood on his brand new Fireball #10.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDOIgXhpUAk

This video is just an appetizer for whats to come. Excuse my camera handling skills, it was cold and I had no idea where Chuck was for minutes at a time or from what direction he would next appear from. I sort of just followed the rumbling thump. I didnt see him for 20 minutes after he turned that last corner shown in the video.
Chumma

Ok. Where s the videoz ???
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 06:49:20 pm by chumma7 »
ACE Fireball 001

chumma7

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 01:59:36 am
I'm getting motivated, the Brooklyn guys are miles ahead. LawnGuyLand must have an answer for this......

Cyrus,
If the plans you have marinating are anywhere as interesting as your clocks, then I can't wait to see what you have in mind.
ACE Fireball 001

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 02:17:46 am
I've still got about a week of breakin and some small minor tweaks to do after which he gets to keep it for good but man I wish I could keep this one.

@Chumma:

You have made a masterpiece for Chuck - no wonder it was hard to part with !  All the pictures are great.  Noticed that it has right hand gear shift.  Besides aesthetics, I know it is the Fireball performance that is a killer  ;D.  Congratulations for a superb job.

@Chuck: 

Aren't you lucky to get such a beautifully crafted super RE ?  Look forward to see more videos and pictures of your bike.  How long is the new engine break in period ?
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 06:00:37 am
Singh,
Lucky... Don't I know it. Chumma sweated over every detail and the results speak for themselves. He went way beyond what was necessary and added little grace notes everywhere you look. But most importantly, inside the new suit is a solid beast of a motorcycle. Every bullet "issue" has been addressed and corrected. She now rides with authority at highway speeds and the handling is rock solid. Better still, no more worries about throwing a rod.
Now, if I can just pry her out of Chumma's hands...

2017 Triumph T120

Hoosier Bullet

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 05:15:18 pm
Chuck,

Fireball 003 here.  Actually, Chumma is helping me to make the crank and con-rod 'bullet-proof' on my engine just now.  Seeing your bike in photo and in action is making me jones to get that thing running again...........

You got a bike that no amount of money can buy right there............Definitely one of the coolest bikes on the planet as far as I am concerned.  Outstanding stuff man! 

Justin

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 08:59:13 pm
The Fireball upgrade is a great way to go. You finish up with a fierce little unburstable cycle that is a cinch to maintain - and you are still swimming in the sea of all those affordable spares, add ons and custom bits and pieces that make RE ownership so interesting.

2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: February 19, 2011, 02:52:26 am
Well, you guys asked for it so here's a teaser...
Chuck's first ride around his neighborhood on his brand new Fireball #10.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDOIgXhpUAk

This video is just an appetizer for whats to come. Excuse my camera handling skills, it was cold and I had no idea where Chuck was for minutes at a time or from what direction he would next appear from. I sort of just followed the rumbling thump. I didnt see him for 20 minutes after he turned that last corner shown in the video.
Chumma

Its amazing the way the fireball revs up.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #20 on: February 19, 2011, 03:32:52 am
Also amazing is the idle quality  ;D (

( of course that was one of the design goals from the beginning  8) )
No matter where you go, there, you are.

chumma7

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: February 19, 2011, 04:03:59 am
Also amazing is the idle quality  ;D (

( of course that was one of the design goals from the beginning  8) )

Well to be perfectly honest, i wasnt going to post that video because of the how I set the idle. Chuck hadn't ridden in months and being that it was his first on right side shift, I set it high to give him a slight break.
It's probably the worst you'll ever see a fireball idle.

Its amazing the way the fireball revs up.

oh man, you haven't seen sh*t yet!.. but you will!
ACE Fireball 001

chumma7

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: February 19, 2011, 04:05:35 am
@Chumma:

You have made a masterpiece for Chuck - no wonder it was hard to part with !  All the pictures are great.  Noticed that it has right hand gear shift.  Besides aesthetics, I know it is the Fireball performance that is a killer  ;D.  Congratulations for a superb job.

@Chuck: 

Aren't you lucky to get such a beautifully crafted super RE ?  Look forward to see more videos and pictures of your bike.  How long is the new engine break in period ?

Brother Singh, thank you for the warm words. I may be around your way in the next few days. Will give you a call.

ACE Fireball 001

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: February 19, 2011, 04:51:07 am
Chuck,

Fireball 003 here.  Actually, Chumma is helping me to make the crank and con-rod 'bullet-proof' on my engine just now.  Seeing your bike in photo and in action is making me jones to get that thing running again...........

You got a bike that no amount of money can buy right there............Definitely one of the coolest bikes on the planet as far as I am concerned.  Outstanding stuff man! 

Justin
Justin,
On the contrary. I can tell you exactly how much money bought that bike 'cause I worked a lot of overtime and ate a lot of peanut butter for dinner to get it. :D But I appreciate the sentiment just the same.
Trust me, the crank is worth the wait. It will be smooooth like buttah.
Chuck

2017 Triumph T120

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: February 19, 2011, 05:00:39 am
The Fireball upgrade is a great way to go. You finish up with a fierce little unburstable cycle that is a cinch to maintain - and you are still swimming in the sea of all those affordable spares, add ons and custom bits and pieces that make RE ownership so interesting.

Chasfield,
Well said. Love your posts, by the way. You have a way of cutting right to the bone.
Chuck.

2017 Triumph T120

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: February 19, 2011, 04:44:14 pm
Thanks for that, Chuck D. I hope you have some good times on that splendid hot-rodded Bullet of yours.

:)

2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

chumma7

• Bulleteer
Reply #26 on: February 19, 2011, 07:25:35 pm
@Chumma:

You have made a masterpiece for Chuck - no wonder it was hard to part with !  All the pictures are great.  Noticed that it has right hand gear shift.  Besides aesthetics, I know it is the Fireball performance that is a killer  ;D.  Congratulations for a superb job.

@Chuck:  

Aren't you lucky to get such a beautifully crafted super RE ?  Look forward to see more videos and pictures of your bike.  How long is the new engine break in period ?

The bike has about 200 miles on it right now and is running smooth and steady at high rpms with minimum oil loss through the breather while maintaining normal engine temps. I employ my own methods of breakin for my piston so to me the bike is currently 85% broken in. There will be slight compression gains and an increase in the overall smoothness of the engine (hard to imagine but it will get even smoother) till about 1k miles after which I recommend chuck go back to his usual synthetic oil.
This bike has already seen glimpses of 6k rpms in all the gears and is smooth as butter. 6k rpm in 5th (102mph) feels like 60mph, it's hard to believe.

I know Chuck is antsy to have his new ride but I've still got some final jetting and tuning to test  as well as a final head torque and 250mile oil change after which he will have her for life. Maybe I'm going overboard but a lot of the stuff I've done on this bike have been custom modifications (5 barnett plates in the cluch basket, I did the rt shift conversation in house without the use of a kit, new brake pads to be arched, I machined him a new rear hub spacer to support both the inner and outer races of his bearings better etc).  I personally feel confident this bike can be driven to California and back right now but I want to use this week to ensure everything is perfect because I'm giving the bike off with a 10k/2yr full labor and parts warranty.
Chumma
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 07:29:20 pm by chumma7 »
ACE Fireball 001

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: February 19, 2011, 08:03:34 pm
The bike has about 200 miles on it right now and is running smooth and steady at high rpms with minimum oil loss through the breather while maintaining normal engine temps.

This bike has already seen glimpses of 6k rpms in all the gears and is smooth as butter. 6k rpm in 5th (102mph) feels like 60mph, it's hard to believe.

@Chumma:

;D -  It is awsome !!!   Chak De Fate  (in Punjabi).
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: February 20, 2011, 09:16:14 pm
oh man, you haven't seen sh*t yet!.. but you will!

Soon enough.