Author Topic: OK, fullface it is  (Read 2659 times)

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
on: February 15, 2011, 06:58:14 pm
So I came back to the US dreaming of motorcycle superstores brimming with everything I want, especially the new Bell 500 Classic open-face.

mmmm, not so much the reality.  Too bad for me.  Ended up ordering my new handlebars off JC Whitney, of all things.

But getting a good helmet was really my priority.  Nothing good in India to try on as far as I found.  So after failing to find a Bell or even an open-face in general that fit and I liked, I was at a super-ricer type shop which I was hoping would have a good inventory.   No dice on any open-face stuff I liked or fit me well.  Tried a bunch of stuff and ended up walking out with a way-above-my-budget fullface Shoei.  (And wore it on my brother's Buddy 125 scooter on the way home, heh.)

It's the dual-sport/streetfighter-type model with the huge bugged-out visor and MX-type venting.  Took off the helmet peak, and I think it'll do me pretty well dicing traffic in India, but simply isn't gonna look as cool or go with the bike's style as a simple open-face like the open-face.  And it was on sale for over $100 off.  And fits like a glove (on my head).  And my face won't turn into mashed potato quite so easily in the event things get ugly, so I guess I'll just try to own the look.

Who else is rocking the fullface despite the retro bike?

Maybe I'll pick up the Bell 500 for milk runs or something .

MD
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 07:01:07 pm by AgentX »

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 06:59:07 pm
oops.  Double post.

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 07:47:20 pm
And my face won't turn into mashed potato quite so easily in the event things get ugly

Isn´t that nice? A fullface saved my present appearance at least once - some say that´s not an advantage but at least I didn´t have to pay the doctor´s bill.
I use Shoei, too, a Raid II in black that comes fortunately without bells and whistles. My first Shoei after 20 years of Nolan. It´s fits excellent and workmanship is very well. The only disadvantage: they charge 50 € for the visor  :o
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 08:07:59 pm
Who else is rocking the fullface despite the retro bike?
Me.
 Shoei and Bell.

Maybe I'll pick up the Bell 500 for milk runs or something .

I wear one of those too and sonetimes a shorty.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

HRAB

• I should really edit this
  • Grease Monkey
  • Been there, doin' more...God willing
Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 08:48:06 pm
Fit is the most important feature of any helmet. If it is comfortable, it is most likely to be on the noggin. Not on the noggin? Not much good!

I ride with one of two helmets.

For touring, I use a Nolan N102 Flip with the sunshade. that gives me all the options: Flip up for open, down for full, clear visor, dark visor.

For getting stupid*, I use a Scorpion 700 full face fixed helmet. It fits like an Arai but at a fraction of the cost.

I never use a helmet more than 5 years. I've been riding since 1966 so I've tried a few brands. I've also long since lost interest in the graphics and prefer a light silver solid color helmet.

* That means track days and advance performance riding schools. I'm an absolute Wuss on the street.
jim
BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
Iron Butt Association www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
(Formerly) CRA# 118N www.cra-mn.com (I got smarter in old age)
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C
86 Gold Wing with California Sidecar
00 Honda ST1100 'Large Marge'

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 08:52:51 pm
I would never wear a full face, too confining. Ok, just kidding. I love the fit and value of Scorpion. My EXO1000 has inflatable cheek pads, internal flip down tinted visor, anti-fog face shield and removable replaceable washable lining. On sale at my local Cycle Gear for under $100. My avatar I'm wearing my EXO400 while riding my Buddy 150 on Lombard St. I miss that little scooter. It was stolen while in Texas.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 09:13:58 pm
I wear a full face Arai Profile.  The Profile was the ONLY helmet that fit my oval-shaped head.  The Scorpion 700 did not, although I loved the way it looked.  I think I tried on 1,000 helmets.  I could wear my Arai all day.  Sometimes, in the deep dark of winter I put it on, stare at the snow, and cry.  Hmm.  Too much, maybe.

I don't subscribe to "look the part" magazine.  I didn't by an Enfield because I want to emulate a Rocker or do my best Brando impression.  Full face helmet, fully armored (and very tasteful thank you) jacket, good gloves, and above the shin boots.  I don't think I could head-butt a Dodge Ram and make it, but I suspect I could slide like the dickens, given enough real estate.  I love gear.

But I aint preachin'.  Whatever works for people though, really.  Full leathers or nothin' but a head band and flip flops.  Just try and stay upright so my insurance doesn't get any higher, please and thank you.

2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 10:01:18 pm
I only wear one when In states where they are required, I do have one, I gave $10 for it in a pawn shop 20 years ago, no idea what the brand is.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 10:05:00 pm
I like the AGV full-face helmet for REAL riding - and I'm with HRAB on the design - none - just a single color, thank you. I have been known to sport the paratrooper pot on my head for the 'round town cruising at or below 40mph - but I think this is going to change with a new AGV. I'm like HRAB here, too - I use one for about five years and retire it. What to DO with a helmet that may be unsafe for riding? Weed-eating, for one thing! You can do the cracks in the sidewalk without having to worry about needing a new cornea or getting a busted lip from the stray rocks, They are also pretty good in the winter for snow-blowing in ... they keep you warm and pretty dry, drown out the noise of the blower and they'll protect you from the snot-nosed neighbor kids snowball throwing attempts .....  ;)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 10:21:27 pm
Ya. You  guys hit on a big point.  Most of what is out there for gear is DAMN UGLY.  I don't know who these guys are that are designing the helmets these days but someone needs to track them down and beat them with a design-book. 

It's like they've loaded a shotgun full of skulls, thorns, chains, dragons, and tribal designs and just blew the hell out of a helmet factory. 

There are some out there, but it is really tough to find a simple helmet with say, a stripe down the middle or some sort of classic paint scheme.  You go back to the '70's and there are some great examples of classy helmets.

Bell and some other designer helmets have done some good things in the 3/4 market as retro is in.  That design needs to leak over to the full face world.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

robbw

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 04:03:03 am
i use the Arai sinister full face helmet. They call it sinister, but looks ridiculous. The advantage is good protection so worth the money and humiliation.  ;)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 04:21:16 am
An Arai Vector full-face helmet is the right fit for my professorly head.   :D

6/30/07 was the day I went over the bars onto the concrete.  A Shoei full-face saved my jaw/chin from any damage.  Full gear didn't hurt (so to speak), either.

I don't leave home without it.

A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

mikail gransee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 12:02:52 pm
The one I found is this Scorpion EXO-100 Half Helmet - Black. It has a retractable visor and goes with the style of the RE. Only about $100 US. :) For those cooler days, I wear a ski mask under it..kinda like a ninja. ;D OR if you really want to get some looks...get one of those stick on mohawks. :o
-"ONCE YOU STOP CONTRIBUTING, YOU BEGIN TO DIE",   -ELENOR ROOSEVELT

1999 Enfield Bullet
1977 Yamaha xs360 TD
1978 Yamaha xs 400 D
2005 Yamaha YZF 600R
2007 Honda CBR 1000RR

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 09:59:44 pm
What to DO with a helmet that may be unsafe for riding? Weed-eating, for one thing! You can do the cracks in the sidewalk without having to worry about needing a new cornea or getting a busted lip from the stray rocks, They are also pretty good in the winter for snow-blowing in ... they keep you warm and pretty dry, drown out the noise of the blower and they'll protect you from the snot-nosed neighbor kids snowball throwing attempts .....  ;)
Scooter......Bob,    Please....say it ain't so.  You are not out there in the summer...with flip flops on...... plaid shorts.......fruit of the loom white- wife beater tank top...weed whacking and edging your lawn ,with a full face helmet on?.... Are you?  ::)

« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 10:04:25 pm by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 10:18:49 pm
I'll fess up and have gone out with shorts/short sleeve shirt and crocs....just a short trips to the local gas station...i;m out here in the country and sometimes no one sees me anyway...always were helmet and gloves...
Oh Magoo you done it again