Author Topic: buffing out scratches in finish??? :(  (Read 3609 times)

robbw

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 02:37:18 am

As far as soap i like Mequires. Cant remember the specific line but it comes in a gallon type jug and is pink in color(the bottle). Very good and lots of suds. Sure there are way better ones but i like to recommend things available to the average Joe at say pep Boys etc.

I think your referring to the deep crystal car wash.  I've not tried that one, but I have tried Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax.  I'm not a fan of the combination wash and wax products because they are short on clean and shine, but this stuff really works.  A little goes a long way and the bike looks shiny and new.
http://www.meguiars.com/estore/product_list.cfm

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 02:47:21 am
I think your referring to the deep crystal car wash.  I've not tried that one, but I have tried Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax.  I'm not a fan of the combination wash and wax products because they are short on clean and shine, but this stuff really works.  A little goes a long way and the bike looks shiny and new.
http://www.meguiars.com/estore/product_list.cfm

Hey, yep Deep Crystal is right. I ran out right before winter so i had nothing to reference lol. That gallon lasts me a while too. I have 4 vehicles myself and also do family cars too and it still lasts. Little goes a long way for sure. Cheap too!

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 12:02:24 pm
  I've used the plastx compound from Meguiars to remove scratches from windshields to paint.  Works great, been using it for a few years now.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 12:28:14 am
Picked up some standard automotive soap, microfiber towels, and Mother's cleaner wax today. 

So now for a totally newbie question:  Is there anything on the bike that I should NOT clean and/or wax?  like the engine/chrome parts/exhaust/seat/lights/mirrors/tires/rims

I know it sounds ridiculous but again i'm new here and have never really been one for washing my car...

just wondering if it'll react badly to things that get hot/things that are clear/shiny/reflective

chuck

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 12:42:30 am
All good questions. DON'T PUT ANYTHING ON THE TIRES!! That doesn't mean you can't clean them, but I have seen some very clean machines go scraping down the pavement when the Armor All slid from the sidewalls onto the tread. Probably don't want your seat or grips too slippery either.

There is a chrome polish that I should warn you about. Made for exhaust systems it is called Blue Away. It does what it claims but the blue will come back 10 times more after you use it! Some of the pics of catalyst equipped bikes show a big spot in the middle of the muffler. I would just live with it.

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 02:26:12 am
Picked up some standard automotive soap, microfiber towels, and Mother's cleaner wax today. 

So now for a totally newbie question:  Is there anything on the bike that I should NOT clean and/or wax?  like the engine/chrome parts/exhaust/seat/lights/mirrors/tires/rims

I know it sounds ridiculous but again i'm new here and have never really been one for washing my car...

just wondering if it'll react badly to things that get hot/things that are clear/shiny/reflective

chuck

Hey, you can soap up the whole bike. I think its pretty obvious and you probably know, but definitely no wax on the tires, seats, or grips etc. Will it hurt them if you get it on them on accident? No. But those surfaces are porous and you will have chalky areas on black surfaces which will simply look bad. Basically keep the wax for paint and chrome. The only side note with chrome is that wax should not be used on chrome as a cleaner( ya know to polish off boot stains, tar etc). For the pipe clean purpose you can use Flitz or Never Dull, the latter being very convenient. Its a pre soaked wadding that you rip off in little pieces and polish away. Let dry and buff off with a towel. You can wax the chrome after but it wont really need it since the polish will make it look good and shine like crazy:)  And like said earlier, no dressing or greasy shiny stuff on the tires or rubber parts as part of the controls. You didn't mention buying any dressing so dont worry about that. Cool thing about todays items is that they can be used for several things.

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 03:01:10 pm
So for my chrome parts (including exhaust pipe), I should just use the soap/water then the mothers cleaner wax if it isn't shiny enough?  I'd rather not buy tons of cleaning products if I don't need them- I've also heard people mention this 'exhaust bluing' but haven't seen any photos... going to search for some now.

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 03:10:59 pm
So for my chrome parts (including exhaust pipe), I should just use the soap/water then the mothers cleaner wax if it isn't shiny enough?  I'd rather not buy tons of cleaning products if I don't need them- I've also heard people mention this 'exhaust bluing' but haven't seen any photos... going to search for some now.

Hey, just wash the chrome like the rest of the bike with soap and water. The chrome will look just like the rest of the bike once washed, but if it needs some polishing(stuck on grime like tar, rust, etc), you need to use chrome polish on it to get it off since the cleaner wax wont remove stuff like it would on the paint. The heat bakes stuff one the chrome so you need the right stuff to do the job. Never Dull is the way i would go. 5 bucks for a big tin of it that wil llast you a long time.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 03:59:10 pm
Never Dull is designed for softer metal and won't hurt the chrome. Chrome polish like Turtle Wax is good for rust and pitting on old chrome but too harsh for new chrome. Most chrome is best treated to soap and water. Windex for water spots if you need.

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: February 18, 2011, 04:47:57 pm
Great,  many thanks.