Author Topic: Has this fallen off my bike?  (Read 6916 times)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
on: February 13, 2011, 09:55:22 am
Anyone recognize this as a RE item?  I found it on the garage floor while cleaning the bike. I'd moved it around a bit and removed the seat.
It looks kind of familiar but I can't think where it might have come from. The straight part is about 30mm.
It may not be from the bike at all. I'm hoping it isn't..... :-\

« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 11:04:58 am by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Philbomoog

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 10:05:31 am
The only split pin I can think of is from the castle nut on the rear wheel hub spindle.

Regular checking of nuts, fixings etc is essential, as they do tend to try and escape.
Loctite/thread loc is very useful.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 10:39:23 am
EUREKA!
It came to me suddenly half-way through my eggs & bacon. It's one of those lethal spring clips holding the headlight unit onto the rim!
DOH....!  I feel a bit silly now.  I do remember one flying off when I fitted the tri-bar last summer.....

OK folks  -  move along  -  nothing to see here  -  sorry....... ::)   :-[
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 10:45:47 am by WillW »

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 10:48:22 am
EUREKA!
It came to me suddenly half-way through my eggs & bacon. It's one of those lethal spring clips holding the headlight unit onto the rim!
DOH....!  I feel a bit silly now.  I do remember one flying off when I fitted the tri-bar last summer.....

OK folks  -  move along  -  nothing to see here  -  sorry....... ::)   :-[

There will really be nothing to see if your headlight falls out! What do you mean, eggs and bacon? It is a quarter to three!

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 10:52:07 am
Not here it's not   :D :D :P

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 11:07:30 am
Er.....it's not a headlight spring after all....... :(
Similar, but not quite.

I haven't been drinking. Or anything else. Really.

(I think me mind's going......     :P )

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 12:12:13 pm
Is it one of those spring sort of things that hold textile/leatherett, onto a frame as in a bike seat.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 01:31:34 pm
Can't find anything else like it under the seat. I'm still hoping it's not from the bike at all. Hmmmm.....  I rather think it is..... :-\
My bike now looks like a restoration project in progress - I've taken a lot of stuff off. It seems most of the rust spots are superficial thank goodness. A mega clean and polish now underway.
Penance for neglect.... :(

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 04:30:48 pm
Nope, it isn't from your bike.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 04:39:02 pm
you're not just saying that are you........ :-\

Really though.  Thanks.  :)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 04:42:29 pm
Reminds me of the jokesters who would put a washer and nut under a bike while the owner was away from it.

BUT, this incident is a good reminder to get out the tools and check over every possible fixture now and then (better now than then, heh).
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 02:10:02 am
Reminds me of the jokesters who would put a washer and nut under a bike while the owner was away from it.

BUT, this incident is a good reminder to get out the tools and check over every possible fixture now and then (better now than then, heh).

I used to have the jacka$$es at the garage do me that way ALL the time ...... Unfortunately for THEM, I knew every nut, bolt and screw on MY bike - usually, I'd just swat once and ride away without any concern at all ....... Revenge was sweet when one of them bought a Harley Davis. I kept sneaking gas into his tank until he started to brag on what GREAT gas mileage that it got ..... Then I quit doing it and drove him berserk trying to "tune" it to get the same gas mileage that it had before .... Priceless, I tell you ..... and it totally ended the futzing with old ScooterBob's bikes ... they were afraid - VERY afraid ........ Muah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!  ;D
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 02:17:44 am
One of my buddy's bought a new Sportster and I carried a small squeeze bottle of oil putting a few drops under it every chance I got, it drove him nuts :D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 08:57:09 am
So which one of you rotten sods has been dropping un-identifiable bits & pieces around my bike......?     Huh.......?     :(

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 11:30:10 am
One of my buddy's bought a new Sportster and I carried a small squeeze bottle of oil putting a few drops under it every chance I got, it drove him nuts :D

THAT one is TOO easy for a Harley Davis boy ....... I have had about a hundred tea bags festooned all over the BSA at one time ..... Garage guys are rich ..... especially the Harley ones .....  ::)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!