Author Topic: Converting the Pilot Lights into Turn Signals  (Read 3798 times)

Andy Smith

• Scooter
on: February 13, 2011, 07:04:46 am
I was in SF recently and popped into see the oh-so-friendly chaps at Munroe Motors. They have some beautiful hardware there, but I digress. We starting talking modifications and something that was mentioned, that I'd not considered before is changing the Pilot Lights (assuming they are not required by law as always-on running lights) into turn signals (indicators if you are from the UK).

Has anyone done this? I figured that maybe they could be modified to take bright LEDs. How easy is the mod?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this one.  :)

Regards from Sand-Land...
2010 RE Bullet Classic 500 EFI

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 09:58:47 am
They can certainly be fitted with LEDs to continue using as pilot lights, it's just a straight switch.
I seem to remember that to use LEDs as indicators you need some sort of relay.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Andy Smith

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 10:33:04 am
Thanks WillW,

They can certainly be fitted with LEDs to continue using as pilot lights, it's just a straight switch.

Any idea where I can source some compatible LED's?  I think to use as indicators, they need to be brighter than they are currently (as pilots).

I was recently at the Gulf Bike Week here in Dubai and saw some really interesting modifications. Incidentally, a modified 1989 Enfield and a Modified 2010 Classic won 1st and 2nd prize in the 'European' category. A REal result!

Cheers

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 10:45:03 am
www.superbrightleds.com
For the pilots you need the "BA9s-x4 32 degree LED bulb-white"
They give a bright white light, and they don't keep blowing like the stock bulbs. You can also fit coloured ones, although there may be legal implications.
The neutral and indicator lights in the speedo dial also benefit from switching to LEDs. They show even in bright sun. Same bulbs as the pilots, but in green.
DON'T try to replace the engine management light with LED.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 11:42:00 am by WillW »

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 10:45:42 am
If you are replacing the signals you will run into flasher problems but simply tapping into the signal wire for an additional blinker should be no problem. Just replace the pilot light with a brighter LED. There is a pic somewhere around here.

Andy Smith

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 12:01:33 pm
Thanks fellas. I'll update the forum on the results in due course...

Cheers

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 01:37:44 pm
Meant to mention  -  if you replace the rear light with LED, it only works as dual rear & brake light one way round, although it'll fit either way. Thought mine was faulty until I discovered this.....

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 02:46:36 pm
I see a possible problem with this mod.  If the small white turn indicator is close to headlight, it will not be seen when headlight is on.  There are some popular US pickups of a few years ago which had the trunsignla just under the headlight.  When the headlight is on, the turn signal can not be seen at a distance of more than 15 to 20 yards.  This modification would be even worse IMO.    Dwight    GA-DK

Andy Smith

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 04:06:42 pm
Valid Point GA-DK

I've decided against pulling off the the original turn indicator and have decided on replacing the incandescent bulbs with LED equivalents, as per WillW's suggestion. I'm just about to place the order now. I was originally going to replace just the pilots, but have decided on a complete bulb replacement surgery. :) I found another great post with a complete list of all the required bulbs.

What a great forum this is!

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 04:12:35 pm
I was considering trying the same thing.

Of course, riding in India I don't much use my signals anyhow so it seems more economical to just ditch the big signals and live without them than bother to re-wire it all...

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 06:01:53 pm
Meant to mention  -  if you replace the rear light with LED, it only works as dual rear & brake light one way round, although it'll fit either way. Thought mine was faulty until I discovered this.....

I don't understand what you mean. I put a LED as a rear light with no problems, it's an 1157 which has staggered pins so it only fits one way. Unless your talking about turn signal bulbs which are monofilament. What am I missing here?

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 06:37:03 pm
I bought the dual rear light/brake light LED bulb, fitted it, and it worked only as rear light but not also as brake light. I took it out, turned it round, and it worked fine as dual filament.
The bulb, from SuperbrightLEDs, is a 1157-R19W6, and fits in my G5 either way round.
That's how it is. You really mustn't worry about it if you're having no problems.  ;)