Author Topic: Backfiring  (Read 3950 times)

TRider

• Bulleteer
on: February 01, 2008, 01:39:01 pm
I cranked my Electra last night for the first time in approx 2 weeks and rode it around 8 miles.  It was a little slow to start and keep started but all in all it wasn't that difficult.
After a few min I was riding.

While starting and riding it would backfire occasionally.  After three or four miles the backfiring quit.  I shut it off when I got home and refired it and there was no backfiring. 

My question is: "What causes this backfiring?  Since it quits after a while, is this something I need to have the dealer look at, or is this just normal?"  Since there was a slight smell of gas, I'm thinking it was slightly flooded, or maybe the mixture is a little too rich. 

I used to have a 1997 BMW F650ST and sometimes it would backfire when cranked after setting for awhile.  It was also a single thumper. 

Wondering.

Terry

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 05:40:02 pm
Your plug was fouled from too much choke/too much idling/old gas or moisture(condensation) in the carb.  The ride got it hot enough to burn off most of the fouling, but it will be more prone now to fouling again. Carry a spare plug with you. Do not adjust anything. If it was running fine when you last parked it all the adjustments are ok. Nothing went out of adjustment from sitting. If you turn off the gas and run the carb dry before shutting off the engine, or if you drain the carb before starting, you will have less plug and starting problems

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 06:44:00 pm
Is there a possible exhaust leak? Check to see that the manifold nuts are tight and the clamp before the muffler is tight. Is the air filter tightly sealed?
Matt

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 10:21:30 pm
This is caused by the plug for one reason or another not firing the mixture on one induction stroke and then firing a double helping on the next!!!
Nothing to worry about and normally once the bike gets warm and is running OK then heat soak etc will help dry any moisture around the various electrical parts that can also create the problem.
Condensation/water in the fuel tankmay have a similar effect but tends to remain whereas usually as I said a good ride tends to sort out the problem (ooh err!)
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 10:34:30 pm
yes.  happens to me especially this time of year and its been sitting for 2 weeks or so...Starts up fine....usually let it idle for 5 min or so....sometimes i just idle it for 2-3 min...anyway, I'll start off and the bike will start to buck and backfire but then calms down after about a mile down the road...no big deal and suspect in the spring and warmer days ahead it will probably go way but then again I'll be riding the bike more....i wouldn't worry about it as your description sounds like mine..after coming back from my 10 mile circuit, the bike runs flawless and starts right up..unless it gets to the point where u are experiencing even after a mile or so, i would just ride it...cheers
Oh Magoo you done it again

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 10:54:15 pm
vince is right when i first got my bullet the carb would leek when i parked for the night so i started turning off the tap as i approached home got to the point where it would only run a few seconds in the garage no more leaks no other problems and this espically inportant at the end of the rideing season
bob bezin
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

TRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 01:36:34 pm
Thanks for your replys.  I ran it Sat. and Sunday for a total of around 60 miles and it ran flawlessly.  A couple of back fires while warming up Sat., but Sunday was just perfect.  I adjusted the idle screw Sat a couple of times that seemed to helped.  I think it just needed some miles to make it happy.  It is running so smooth at 70mph, acts like it would like to run at that speed all day long.   

Thanks again!!!!!!

Terry

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 06:31:58 pm
Mine was backfiring, I kept adjusting the carb, fooling with the choke, and finally discovered a rubber hose had come off the PAV unit up by the head