Author Topic: Electra  (Read 18099 times)

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #15 on: August 18, 2007, 04:52:53 pm
I just bought a 2000 W650.

The Royal Enfield/W650 combo seems to be popular duo.  I have a 2001 Dubya that had 1732 miles on it when I got it.  It is my ride when I travel longer distances with other people.  If I'm alone or with someone that isn't in a hurry it's the REB (Royal Enfiled Bullet).
  Any other REB/Dubya owners out there?
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: August 18, 2007, 04:56:21 pm
I know what you mean. I have ridden larger and faster bikes over the years, but my RE gives me more smiles than anything else I have owned. We don't ride for the numbers on the speck sheet, but for the feel of motorcycling. Even while I sit at the kitchen table writing this blog, I am thinking about the Enfield getting lonely in the garage.

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #17 on: August 18, 2007, 06:10:31 pm
I just bought a 2000 W650.

The Royal Enfield/W650 combo seems to be popular duo.  I have a 2001 Dubya that had 1732 miles on it when I got it.  It is my ride when I travel longer distances with other people.  If I'm alone or with someone that isn't in a hurry it's the REB (Royal Enfiled Bullet).
  Any other REB/Dubya owners out there?
Leonard, how do you like the W650. I Have never rode one, only window shopped in 2000. I have rode a lot of different bikes in 40+ years. It seems it would be about the same as a original stock 60-70's Triumph, but slightly heavier. Over the years I have also heard all different mpg reports. What are your likes and dislikes? Once I get mine I will be able to compare your answers with my experience.    Hutch   

Luoma, I know what you mean. I have to run up town and get pack of smokes and I would love to take the Bullet, but I won't get my pushrod adjuster until next week(I hope), so its take the 550 lb.120 hp bike. I would rather ride the RE. It's only been a week it's been down and I think I am going through withdrawls. That never happened with any of the other bikes I have ever owned in 40yrs.    Hutch
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 06:24:25 pm by hutch »
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #18 on: August 18, 2007, 08:00:30 pm
Leonard, how do you like the W650. I Have never rode one, only window shopped in 2000. I have rode a lot of different bikes in 40+ years. It seems it would be about the same as a original stock 60-70's Triumph, but slightly heavier. Over the years I have also heard all different mpg reports. What are your likes and dislikes? Once I get mine I will be able to compare your answers with my experience.    Hutch   

Luoma, I know what you mean. I have to run up town and get pack of smokes and I would love to take the Bullet, but I won't get my pushrod adjuster until next week(I hope), so its take the 550 lb.120 hp bike. I would rather ride the RE. It's only been a week it's been down and I think I am going through withdrawls. That never happened with any of the other bikes I have ever owned in 40yrs.    Hutch

Hutch,
  I like the W very much, especially since I put on a set of Royal Enfield handle bars and changed the tires.  The stock buckhorn bars made me  lean back too much.  I went with a slightly smaller rear tire and it seems to have improved slow speed handling.  If you get on Yahoo Groups "wriders" there is a ton of info in the files. 
  The W draws almost as much attention as the Royal Enfield, most folks of course think it is a Triumph Bonnie until you point out the Kawasaki logos.  Fun bike, I think I have the two coolest bikes non vintage bikes available. 
--Leonard

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #19 on: August 18, 2007, 08:04:23 pm

Hutch,
  I was going to ask about the pushrod adjuster.  What is that?  Does the Electra's pushrod adjust differently than the Classic?
Leonard

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #20 on: August 18, 2007, 09:59:36 pm

[/quote]

Hutch,
  I was going to ask about the pushrod adjuster.  What is that?  Does the Electra's pushrod adjust differently than the Classic?
Leonard
[/quote] I'm not sure on the Electra, I think it is the same as the Bullet Classic, due to the same cover on the right side of the motor. The one the Decomp cable goes to on the Electra. Under that cover(on the Bullet) is where you adjust the length of the pushrod for the correct valve clearance. It probably is called the tappet adjuster, but since it screws into the pushrod I always called them pushrod adjusters, even on Harley's they are the same, at least the old Harleys. I always called tappet adjusters the ones that are right on the rocker arm.   Hutch

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: August 18, 2007, 11:29:30 pm
pushrod adjuster?

er. I used my fingers and 3 wrenches.. and am going to make something so I only have to use two

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #22 on: August 19, 2007, 12:01:55 am

Hutch,
Leonard
[/quote] I'm not sure on the Electra, I think it is the same as the Bullet Classic, due to the same cover on the right side of the motor. The one the Decomp cable goes to on the Electra. Under that cover(on the Bullet) is where you adjust the length of the pushrod for the correct valve clearance. It probably is called the tappet adjuster, but since it screws into the pushrod I always called them pushrod adjusters, even on Harley's they are the same, at least the old Harleys. I always called tappet adjusters the ones that are right on the rocker arm.   Hutch
[/quote]

Oh OK, I thought you were talking about some kind of tool.

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #23 on: August 19, 2007, 01:56:32 pm
pushrod adjuster?

er. I used my fingers and 3 wrenches.. and am going to make something so I only have to use two
Scotty, aint that fun though? It works the same on the older Harley's, plus you have to keep the pushrod covers from falling back down into your wrenches . I cheat, I hold the bottom 13mm wrench with my foot against the motor, and use my left hand and 13mm wrench to turn pushrod to make it longer or shorter for proper tightness, then lock it down with the 10mm in my right hand. Had plenty of practice on Harleys over the years. Hutch

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: August 19, 2007, 03:44:49 pm
I'm still getting the hang of it, but I'm getting better at trusting the feel of it. The book says to remove the tappet covers from the top of the motor, but never says why, since the adjusting is done at the side.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #25 on: August 19, 2007, 06:06:42 pm
I'm still getting the hang of it, but I'm getting better at trusting the feel of it. The book says to remove the tappet covers from the top of the motor, but never says why, since the adjusting is done at the side.

Page 03-15 of the Electra Service Manual details how to set the valve tappet clearance to .1mm using a feeler guage at the valve stem.

Matt

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: August 20, 2007, 01:11:40 am
Tried that. Didn't work. The valves were so noisy it almost deafened me. After talking to my dealer, and making a call to CMW, I was advised to adjust by feel just like the older REs. That seems to work better for me. I also found out that I could make the valves quieter by adjusting a bit snug, but it didn't run as well. I'm learning what the right amount of valve noise is. I guess a happy RE is supposed to chatter a bit.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #27 on: August 20, 2007, 01:26:22 am
Tried that. Didn't work. The valves were so noisy it almost deafened me. After talking to my dealer, and making a call to CMW, I was advised to adjust by feel just like the older REs. That seems to work better for me. I also found out that I could make the valves quieter by adjusting a bit snug, but it didn't run as well. I'm learning what the right amount of valve noise is. I guess a happy RE is supposed to chatter a bit.

Both ways are correct. The Owner's Manual only provides the twirl method.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: August 20, 2007, 01:30:14 am
I cheat, I hold the bottom 13mm wrench with my foot against the motor, and use my left hand and 13mm wrench to turn pushrod to make it longer or shorter for proper tightness, then lock it down with the 10mm in my right hand.

hmmmm_____ motorcycle aerobics :D

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #29 on: August 20, 2007, 02:37:00 am
I cheat, I hold the bottom 13mm wrench with my foot against the motor, and use my left hand and 13mm wrench to turn pushrod to make it longer or shorter for proper tightness, then lock it down with the 10mm in my right hand.

hmmmm_____ motorcycle aerobics :D
Scotty, I know it sounds weird, but it beats trying to hold both 13mm wrenches in one hand and the 10mm in your right. Just about the time you get the lock nut almost tight, one of the wrenchs in your left moves and the ajustment moves ,making it to tight or loose. Start over. It just seems the easiest way. It just carried over from my Harley days.   Hutch