Author Topic: Ladakh Redux  (Read 2645 times)

HMR

• Scooter
on: February 11, 2011, 07:18:23 pm
Thought I'll share some photographs of Ladakh that I've shot over the years while on my annual ride there

http://tinyurl.com/4c8gzeg

HMR
Mumbai

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 01:08:39 am
Thanks !!

I noticed what looks like the famous Ladakh Express in the next to last pic (the Bike on the left )  8)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

woodboats

• Grease Monkey
  • New Zealand
Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 03:03:36 am
Very nice HMR!
Thanks for sharing.
Ours: 2006 Bullet Deluxe 500
Hers: 2007 Yamaha V Star 650
His: 2007 Honda Shadow Aero 750

HMR

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 04:11:14 pm
Thanks guys  ;D

Riding in Ladakh is always fantastic -- and every year new roads/tracks to fabulous destinations seem to be opening up there. This year should be a poignant ride remembering familiar people and places which were at the wrong end of the devastating cloudburst in the regions history.

If you are ever here in India for a Ladakh ride I'll hook you up on the 'Express'. The bike needs a bit of attention -- the rear shock is shot (but it is from aHonda XR250 circa '83!) It has about 10-inches of travel front and rear and a blast to ride off road. It's bit of a handful for my 30-inch inseam so I made another Ladakh bike last year from an AVL 500 with stock twin shocks -- the yellow bike with the rectangular headlight aka Bumblebee. Crankshaft has been stroked to 100mm, right side shift, 20-litre 'Ladakh tank', Barnett clutch plates, cannibalised the Mikuni VM34 from the Express and a few other bits and bobs  ;D

Current project is a 'made in India' 612cc cast iron street bike with the Ace Magnum cams. The engine is done, perhaps a mock-up sometime next fortnight before final paint . Will keep you posted  8) 8)

HMR
Mumbai
Thanks !!

I noticed what looks like the famous Ladakh Express in the next to last pic (the Bike on the left )  8)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 04:51:52 pm
@Harshman:  

Those are fantastic pictures in Ladakh.  Your other book 'Himalayan Odyssey' is really great.  

Readers - do not skip the Himalayan Odyssey by HMR in another link -

http://issuu.com/harshmanrai/docs/odyssey_low
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 05:44:28 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 06:21:34 pm
I clicked on the link. The pix are beautiful but not all the pages loaded. Is it possible to buy a hard copy of this?

Thanks

HMR

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 03:29:57 am
No hard copies as yet, but you can download the pdf file and look at leisure
HMR
Mumbai
I clicked on the link. The pix are beautiful but not all the pages loaded. Is it possible to buy a hard copy of this?

Thanks

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 03:34:37 am
I clicked on the link. The pix are beautiful but not all the pages loaded.

@Dan:

Which browser are you using on your computer ? Try with a different browser - they are all free to download.

I can see very beautiful pictures from the link in this thread and I can zoom in to see absolutely fantastic details.  Once I had Firefox on my computer and had similar problem of not loading picture completely from one website.  When I switched to Explorer, I could see all the pictures from the same website. 
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

HMR

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 03:42:23 am
Thank you Singhji. Royal Enfield wanted to do a revised edition of their coffee table book to include their premier touring event the Himalayan Odyssey and asked me to contribute the pictures to accompany Gordon May's text who I met on the ride in 2009.

Singhji, if you are ever back in 'desh' you should consider going on the Royal Enfield Himalayan Odyssey. It's a fantastic introduction to Ladakh, which is so much better on 2 wheels than in a car. It's cheap at less than 300 USD for a 2-week ride with full spares, support, lugage truck and medical staff and all you have to pay for on the trip is for fuel and the occasional meal, which works out to less than 150 USD on the higher side. Deatails are there on the RE website and if for riders signing up from abroad, I believe they will hook you up on a factory UCE bike. A great deal.

HMR
Mumbai

@Harshman:  

Those are fantastic pictures in Ladakh.  Your other book 'Himalayan Odyssey' is really great.  

Readers - do not skip the Himalayan Odyssey by HMR in another link -

http://issuu.com/harshmanrai/docs/odyssey_low