Author Topic: Valve adjustment?  (Read 24395 times)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #75 on: February 18, 2011, 01:12:06 am
Hey I found a English dictionary. http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/t.htm

I will not be asking my kids to do that! Of course if I'm dead it wouldn't work anyway.

All this talk of proper disposal of one's remains just reminded me of The Big Lebowski.

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #76 on: February 18, 2011, 01:19:51 am
Hey I found a English dictionary. http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/t.htm

I will not be asking my kids to do that! Of course if I'm dead it wouldn't work anyway.

All this talk of proper disposal of one's remains just reminded me of The Big Lebowski.

Thought we went 'stiff' when we died ??? ;D
You will always find that women that have lost thier virginity, still have the box it came in!

Royal Enfield, making mechanics out of owners since 1893.

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #77 on: February 18, 2011, 01:26:53 am
Great fllck! "Shut the F___ up Donny!! They're Nihilist not Nazis!!! Busted a gut laughing at that scene. cochi

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #78 on: February 18, 2011, 01:37:08 am
can't help and like u guys...for some reason i'm thinking of that brad pitt movie and him saying " we gonna kill some f'ing nazis"....crazy flick but i ilked it alot..
Oh Magoo you done it again

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #79 on: February 18, 2011, 01:39:19 am

Thought we went 'stiff' when we died ??? ;D

Yes, after a few hours, but then we loosen up again.  If you're fresh, you're still pliable.  I think it takes a few hours for rigor mortis to set in, then several hours or more later it abates.

Scott

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #80 on: February 18, 2011, 02:14:06 am
Yeah, disposing of the ashes! I think Jeff Bridges won for Lebowski they just waited till Crazy Heart to give it to him.

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #81 on: February 18, 2011, 02:25:16 am
There is much debate as to when life "begins"... is it at conception? a few days after.. at one's exiting of the womb etc...   But there is also debate as to when one is actually "dead." Is it when your heart stops? When your brainwaves cease? Is it when breathing ceases? etc...

In order to define when each of these events occur, one must also have a firm definition of what "alive" actually means.

Differing medical and political views of when someone is really dead are prevalent throughout the world.

Rigor Mortis is the temporary fixation of muscle tissues brought on by the ......   oh heck... isn't this post about valve adjustment????

So, picture yourself locked in a very small room, not much bigger than your body, with a small supply of food and air to breathe, but nowhere is a toilet to be seen. You can eat your food until it runs out and starve to "death", and breathe until you run out of air and asphyxiate, and poop until you have no space to poop anymore.  This is basically what happens to your individual cells in your body once circulation ceases.  

You = a single cell, say perhaps a muscle cell.
Your very small room  = the space your cell occupies plus a bit of interstitial fluids surrounding you.
Your food = nutrients brought to you by blood circulation
Your air to breathe  = brought to you in the blood that feeds you and what you exhale is taken away by the blood too.
Your toilet = your interstitial fluids are the septic system, the plumbing is your lymphatic system.
Your poop = not removed as your lymphatic system which drains into your blood, and gets filtered out by the liver and kidneys isn't running anymore. The poop you as a cell produce causes your cell and your neighbours to all stiffen up for lack of space. But then after a while of this, someone comes along, namely digestive enzymes, and change your poop and also eat your cell walls allowing you to relax.

While you are stuck in this room, the reason you, as a cell, are not receiving proper food, air and toilet facilities is because your heart has stopped.   But wait... your heart stopped? You stopped breathing?   But as a cell.... you are still alive... but you've been pronounced as "dead"

See the confusion?

Oh, and to bring this back on topic.... There are valves in the heart.  ;)  Mitral, tricuspid, pulmonary and aortic... doctors are often required to adjust these valves if not in tolerance. :D

میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #82 on: February 18, 2011, 02:33:13 am
Ha ha! I am a fan of science but know very little of it. I do remember reading once that there is more of "you" that is bacteria than what we think of as "you". So once those cells die, the bacteria that is you takes over. Hey! Immortality. Old bikers never die, they just get RE-cycled.  ;D

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #83 on: February 18, 2011, 06:43:01 am
Your hair and fingernails grow for several days after you die.  Before embalming corpses had to be shaved each day before wakes.  All this seems like common knowledge I've picked up along the way, no problem talking about it, etc. but those coffins weird me out.  Unless you're a pharaoh start decomposing already!

Scott

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #84 on: February 18, 2011, 01:45:47 pm
After death, the human body dehydrates, causing the skin shrink back, which exposes the part of the nails and hair that was under the skin, causing them to simply appear to grow.

On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #85 on: February 18, 2011, 02:54:02 pm
I remember Hunter S. Thompson wanted to be shot into space. In the end I think they blew him out of a cannon. Good end for a Bulleteer!

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #86 on: February 18, 2011, 02:58:52 pm
Ha ha! I am a fan of science but know very little of it. I do remember reading once that there is more of "you" that is bacteria than what we think of as "you". So once those cells die, the bacteria that is you takes over. Hey! Immortality. Old bikers never die, they just get RE-cycled.  ;D

I believe I LIKE this idea ..........
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #87 on: February 18, 2011, 03:35:03 pm
So once those cells die, the bacteria that is you takes over. Hey! Immortality. Old bikers never die, they just get RE-cycled.  ;D

I believe I LIKE this idea ..........

This is so true - we are constantly being REcycled, even while reading this or writing this !  We re-create some of 'me' as we lose some of 'me' in this recycling process - but with time the first part becomes smaller and smaller.  

This physical body is not only habitat of 'me' but of millions of other living beings (bacteria, microorganisms etc.) that call it 'home' or 'mine'.  This cycle of birth of cells, organs and death of the same cells, organs continues and every few days or few weeks or months the cells or organs are completely replaced !  Miracle - what we call life.  One day this collection of cells - what we call 'I' or 'me' - disintegrates and becomes part of others 'collections of cells' - what we call 'you'.  Then there is no 'you'.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #88 on: February 18, 2011, 04:02:38 pm
And life goes on within you and without you. (Cue the sitar)

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #89 on: February 18, 2011, 05:29:19 pm
What returns from the crematorium that is labled with your name as being you, was never alive in the first place. As cremated remains, you get minerals, trace metals and casket materials back, your flesh and bones are all gone. The physical body you call you isn't there.

To me, the human body is a Christmas present. A present from Christ. The gift is inside. When you die, Christ takes the gift back to Him. As a funeral director, Families entrust me with the wrapping paper that the Gift came in. I take that wrapping paper, straighten it out, clean it up and position it in a casket so that families and friends can come to see the Christmas present to remember the Gift that was inside.

Oh, and metal caskets also have valves too...   If the casket is travelling in a manner that the air pressure difference is great enough, such as via aircraft, there is a screw type valve that can be opened to equalize the pressure. If the pressure difference is too great, the lid can collapse or buckle. So... ya.. valves..    :)
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں