Author Topic: Valve adjustment?  (Read 24374 times)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #30 on: February 12, 2011, 12:28:04 am
Oh it was waaay out of warranty :D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #31 on: February 12, 2011, 01:00:19 am
Troubleshoot yes, (impossible with an Iron?) But just what are you going to "fix"if you have an engine problem out on a ride? You can read your check engine codes, and still be as helpless as a puppy without parts. You can add "Its smaller so it's easier to push " to that list. ;) Just kidding, I know it will never break down.

IF in the unlikely event the break down were EFI you could know exactly what to to have FedEx'd overnight.  ;)

A fuse, a clutch cable, an inner tube and a master link are about the only spares you might need to carry when riding a UCE machine on a long haul. 8)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: February 12, 2011, 01:03:59 am
Those are the four things I carry :D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 01:09:47 am by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #33 on: February 12, 2011, 01:13:14 am
Oh it was waaay out of warranty :D

If this was an old AirHead bike and you didn't have spare cables crammed up into the main backbone frame tube, they are kick you out of the BMW Continuum ..... Heeheehee! I thought that's what the hollow tube was FOR ......  ::)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: February 12, 2011, 01:27:08 am
I kept the cable lock in the hollow tube, I'd just put a new clutch cable on the day before I took off, didn't think I'd need a spare ::)  I know, I know, "What lesson have you learned Grasshopper?"
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 01:36:18 am by r80rt »
Iron Butt Association

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: February 12, 2011, 01:55:51 am
IF in the unlikely event the break down were EFI you could know exactly what to to have FedEx'd overnight.  ;)

A fuse, a clutch cable, an inner tube and a master link are about the only spares you might need to carry when riding a UCE machine on a long haul. 8)
And not to mention, If I remember correctly, 2 or 3 of the EFI sensors could fail on your bike, and it will still run enough to get you home. Can't beat that ! I also have the E start only C-5, never a problem for me.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: February 12, 2011, 02:00:18 am
that's encouraging...u guys are great and won't bs us....we all know the weak spots and what works and what doesn't....u gotta love this site for info...
Oh Magoo you done it again

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: February 12, 2011, 02:03:20 am
You're gonna get one, ain't ya? :D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 02:08:29 am by r80rt »
Iron Butt Association

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #38 on: February 12, 2011, 02:11:40 am
And not to mention, If I remember correctly, 2 or 3 of the EFI sensors could fail on your bike, and it will still run enough to get you home. Can't beat that ! I also have the E start only C-5, never a problem for me.

And if the third one failed you deep in the jungles of the amazon,,, I'll bet you could slap a carb on it.

In India the UCE 350 is carburated.  ;)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: February 12, 2011, 03:04:11 am
 You know, I wouldn't doubt it. That mysterious black box might just pick up on it and make the correct adjustments  :D
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #40 on: February 13, 2011, 10:35:57 am
And if the third one failed you deep in the jungles of the amazon,,, I'll bet you could slap a carb on it.

In India the UCE 350 is carburated.  ;)

Not a bad idea but most fuel injection systems use high pressure fuel vs gravity for a carb. If you could compensate it might work.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #41 on: February 13, 2011, 04:43:40 pm
What is a carb?  Is it something my C5 needs to get energy? 

:D
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #42 on: February 14, 2011, 12:35:38 am
What is a carb?  Is it something my C5 needs to get energy? 

:D

I once saw a guy at a gas station about to pour NOS energy drink into his gas tank. I tried to explain the cross-marketing of two entirely different products. And it was loaded with carbs.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #43 on: February 14, 2011, 05:50:03 pm

Agreed, but I'd be home by then... ;)
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #44 on: February 15, 2011, 09:55:39 pm
A nice trick for a long ride is to run your spare cables taped next to the existing ones.  Then if a cable fails you just have to attach the ends and don't need to fish it rhough the chassis of the bike.  And it's alwasy good to carry a spare master link if your chain isn't riveted.

After my last long trip where I took every tool I could think of I'd pare back next time.  You always want some basic set of wrenches and allens, pliers, the wrenches you need to take both wheels off, and some duct tape, chain lube, and rags to wipe your hands.  I think that's about all I'll take next time.  And a cell phone ;)

Scott