Author Topic: Valve adjustment?  (Read 24357 times)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 08:51:58 pm
r80rt: great good to hear that all is good with the electric start..yeah i remember when u got her....u can understand my trepidation about the add on feature of the starter/sprag clutch with the iron....I was wondering if they pretty much had it sorted out with the newer machines....when i heard they were coming out with the kickstart now (again) I was wondering if it was "CYA" scenario vice just coming back to a bit of nostalgia and the wants of the consumer..Then again maybe a bit of both..
Oh Magoo you done it again

john hut

• John Hut
  • Scooter
  • EFI Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 09:04:26 pm
The UCE engine has hydraulic valves that don't need adjusting.
I have no problem with the Snail adjuster for the chain and see no reason to change them....I have the G5 DL with kick start and electrick start .The kick start came in handy when the starter solenod packed in and it took me about six weeks to get it replaced...I mainly use the electric start....
     John Hut
John Electra Deluxe Efi

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 09:23:53 pm
....Would you say that the sprag clutch problem is completely solved with the new bikes???

No, it hasn't been. I'm sorry to be the party pooper here but facts are facts and mine was on it's third sprag clutch by 6,000 miles. The latest one is an update on the original which only confirms that RE have acknowledged there was a problem. It's good that that is the case but on the other hand I wonder that the problem didn't surface during the development stage since it was said to be extensively tested. (I know for sure I'm not the only one to have experienced this and I don't think RE would upgrade the part just for me.) Still, fingers crossed for third time lucky. I'll be very annoyed if it fails again especially as it'll probably be out of warranty by then.

That aside I've had no other problems with the motor and share the confidence of others here to ride it long and hard day after day. It is a superb motor.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 09:25:07 pm
Much different 8)

AND you can troubleshoot it yourself, I could go on and on.

Troubleshoot yes, (impossible with an Iron?) But just what are you going to "fix"if you have an engine problem out on a ride? You can read your check engine codes, and still be as helpless as a puppy without parts. You can add "Its smaller so it's easier to push " to that list. ;) Just kidding, I know it will never break down.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 09:35:35 pm
interesting...some say they haven't had any problems (r80rt)and now a tale of caution re. clubmans  third sprag replacement..I'm not starting any nonsense here...Just trying to piece together in my mind on the comeback of the kickstart for the new machines coming down the pike...I was aware of the G5 having it stock and the C5 strictly electric start.Trying to get consensus on the durability of a strictly electric start enfield here in the U.S..I'll admit I had my reservation re. a electric start Enfield from the get go....

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 09:40:06 pm
Unless you drag a trailer full of stuff, youll be helpless as a puppy with out parts, no matter what you ride. A broken clutch cable on my BMW left me stranded for three days in Pratt Kansas, that is one boring place to sit in a motel :D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 02:18:20 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 09:42:14 pm
that may be true.....I guess if your sprag bites the dust there u probably can push start the bike..Did u feel like a Pratt after 3 days??

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 09:48:02 pm
interesting...some say they haven't had any problems (r80rt)and now a tale of caution re. clubmans  third sprag replacement..I'm not starting any nonsense here...Just trying to piece together in my mind on the comeback of the kickstart for the new machines coming down the pike...I was aware of the G5 having it stock and the C5 strictly electric start.Trying to get consensus on the durability of a strictly electric start enfield here in the U.S..I'll admit I had my reservation re. a electric start Enfield from the get go....
From what I understand the kicker was left off because the factory thought the US market wouldn't want it, there were a lot of request's so they put it back on, it simplified everything for them to do that, one type of cases for everyone.  There are a few electric start C5 guys on here and I've only heard of the one sprag problem on clubmans bike, but I think he has a G5 with kicker and electric so that may have something to do with it. Can't speak for everyone but mine's been trouble free.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 09:53:53 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 09:49:53 pm
that may be true.....I guess if your sprag bites the dust there u probably can push start the bike..Did u feel like a Pratt after 3 days??
As a matter of fact, I did :D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 10:00:07 pm by r80rt »
Iron Butt Association

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: February 11, 2011, 10:14:10 pm
7000 miles on my G5 with no problems except a loose wire to the fuel pump.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 12:00:07 am by Chris-G5 »

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #25 on: February 11, 2011, 10:26:00 pm
interesting...some say they haven't had any problems (r80rt)and now a tale of caution re. clubmans  third sprag replacement..I'm not starting any nonsense here...Just trying to piece together in my mind on the comeback of the kickstart for the new machines coming down the pike...I was aware of the G5 having it stock and the C5 strictly electric start.Trying to get consensus on the durability of a strictly electric start enfield here in the U.S..I'll admit I had my reservation re. a electric start Enfield from the get go....

There have been VERY few problems with the starter gears / sprags on the new bikes. I can't even recall the last one that I wrote up - although I think it was because it was dropped during the gearbox upgrade and bent the cage on it so it wouldn't go back together ......  ;D They are about as bullet-proof as any other bike out there now. The reason that we are getting the kicky C5 is because everyone was screaming for it - for that "nostalgia" look. I suggested at one time that a kicker probably could have just been bolted onto the engine cover and no one would have known the difference - hahaha!  ;) Fear not the electric leg on the new bikes - and enjoy the kicker in a crowd (with your thumb on the "sissy button" just to make sure! Hahahaha!
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: February 11, 2011, 11:11:49 pm
okay well that explains it....i'm glad to c the kicker came back with the new machines....not like u killing your leg to crank it....its good to c logic/commom sense is part of the equation... i probably would  use it 50/50 if i brought the new machine....with the iron i have i'm in  90/10 with the 90% being kick starting vice the electric start...I think it saves my battery (original/06) and it gives me a idea on state of tune......thanks scooterbob for the lowdown..

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #27 on: February 11, 2011, 11:48:09 pm
Unless you drag a trailer full of parts, youll be stranded no matter what you ride. A broken clutch cable on my BMW left me stranded for three days in Pratt Kansas, that is one boring place to sit in a motel :D
Wow, you cant ride without clutch cable? Give a push with your foot and snap it into gear. Take it easy,and ride way ahead of yourself. Filing -changing points, clearing out a fouled carb, need no trailer.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: February 11, 2011, 11:56:45 pm
Yeah I know how,  I did that for 50 miles, but I still had 600 to go. I decided to wait on a cable.  UCE, need no points, need no carb, need no tinkering.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 02:35:15 am by r80rt »
Iron Butt Association

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #29 on: February 12, 2011, 12:20:46 am
Wow, you cant ride without clutch cable? Give a push with your foot and snap it into gear. Take it easy,and ride way ahead of yourself. Filing -changing points, clearing out a fouled carb, need no trailer.

It was a BMW. If you use a non-approved operational procedure you will void your warranty.  ;)