Author Topic: Valve adjustment?  (Read 24354 times)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
on: February 11, 2011, 03:54:16 pm
Just curious, while at the dealer the other day, the salesman said the UCE has hydraulic lifters a la Harley, eliminating the need for valve adjustments. That was the 1st time I had heard that. Any truth to that? Any other major changes from the AVL? Thanks.

Dan

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 04:00:34 pm
yep true,and they also have a  fuelinjector
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 04:09:13 pm
It's a way different engine, they share the same bore and stroke but not much else.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 04:14:57 pm
AVL is similar to Iron Barrel for all practical purposes.

But UCE, which was introduced in 2009, is as different from the earlier bikes as VW Beetle of the 60's vs. Beetle of 200?.   UCE requires only one oil for everything - engine, clutch, transmission.  But AVL transmission is separate.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 04:18:22 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 04:23:04 pm
AVL is similar to Iron Barrel for all practical purposes.

But UCE, which was introduced in 2009, is as different from the earlier bikes as VW Beetle of the 60's vs. Beetle of 200?.   UCE requires only one oil for everything - engine, clutch, transmission.  But AVL transmission is separate.

One type of oil, or common oil that flows through all three? The F.I. was obvious. Not so obvious was the changes to the cases. Can a kickstart and right side shift be added? Thanks again.

Dan

Oh yeah, I have seen pix of the C5 with passenger seat/rack installed but the online catalog doesn't show much.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 04:33:18 pm
One common oil that flows through all three, kick start is coming for the C5, right side shift? With a hammer and a torch anything is possible.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 04:43:59 pm
Just curious, while at the dealer the other day, the salesman said the UCE has hydraulic lifters a la Harley, eliminating the need for valve adjustments. That was the 1st time I had heard that. Any truth to that? Any other major changes from the AVL? Thanks.

Dan

Much different  8)

An E-start that WORKS without exploding, a better clutch, a bottom end that is damn near indestructible, auto de comp, pressure die cast cases instead of sand cast, a more modern design made from modern materials on new machinery, EFI that is mapped to 18,000+ ft  AND you can troubleshoot it yourself, I could go on and on.

Suffice it to say it is a Bulllet you ride instead of wrench on.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 05:13:59 pm by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 06:06:32 pm
You can jump on one and take off for a 300-400 mile day without carrying tools and extra oil. You can do the same thing the next day too,  ;D
Iron Butt Association

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 06:17:46 pm
R80RT: they are really nice bikes...The improvements on these bikes was a smart move for Enfield and the customer base....I like the fact that the newer  ones will have a kickstart (Yeah I know it may be overkill) but its not like it won't be used from time to time....Would you say that the sprag clutch problem is completely solved with the new bikes??? Have you had any kickback with your electric start c5?  Glad to see u having a great time on that c5. I guess when they come out with the c5 equivalent with a kickstart, we'll have a few of you with just electric start models...Knowing what u know now, would you had waited and gotten one of them?..Just a few thoughts for the day. Cheers from the iron world..
Oh Magoo you done it again

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 06:26:00 pm
I guess when they come out with the c5 equivalent with a kickstart, we'll have a few of you with just electric start models...Knowing what u know now, would you had waited and gotten one of them?..Just a few thoughts for the day. Cheers from the iron world..

Good point. Do I wait for the return of the kickstart or will the electric-only become a collector's item because of its rarity?

Also, I don't know when this change happened but I saw cam-type drive chain adjusters!

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 06:31:57 pm
IIRC, r80rt was the very first C5 owner in the states  ;D

G.M. I don't think i've ever heard about a sprag issue with a UCE.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 06:42:31 pm
R80RT: they are really nice bikes...The improvements on these bikes was a smart move for Enfield and the customer base....I like the fact that the newer  ones will have a kickstart (Yeah I know it may be overkill) but its not like it won't be used from time to time....Would you say that the sprag clutch problem is completely solved with the new bikes??? Have you had any kickback with your electric start c5?  Glad to see u having a great time on that c5. I guess when they come out with the c5 equivalent with a kickstart, we'll have a few of you with just electric start models...Knowing what u know now, would you had waited and gotten one of them?..Just a few thoughts for the day. Cheers from the iron world..
I've had NO problems of ANY kind with my C5's electric starter, and never a kickback. I wouldn't have waited for a kick starter because I wouldn't use it. 41 years of kickstarting motorcycles has my hip and knee worn out, I have trouble walking now and a kicker is usless to me. 8600 miles on her so far with no regrets or complaints. The C5 is good ;D
Iron Butt Association

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 06:53:12 pm
Also, I don't know when this change happened but I saw cam-type drive chain adjusters!
The snail cams have been used by RE forever ;)
Iron Butt Association

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 07:52:37 pm
The snail cams have been used by RE forever ;)

Then why do they sell these things? Just to make things harder?

http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/maintenance-repair/driveline/chain-adjusters.html

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 07:59:12 pm
To replace the snail cams, I guess some folks have problems with the old way :D
Iron Butt Association