Author Topic: possibly buying a 2009 G5 Deluxe - what to look for?  (Read 1767 times)

fbranicky

• Neophyte
on: February 19, 2011, 06:52:33 pm
There's a chance I will be buying a 2009 G5 Deluxe (new in showroom, not used).  Are there any recalls or mechanical fixes that I should know about or have done first?  I remember reading about the sprag clutch and some transmission issue a while back.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 07:18:45 pm by fbranicky »

john hut

• John Hut
  • Scooter
  • EFI Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 07:28:18 pm
I have the 2009 G5 Deluxe.September 09. When I bought it new it had the gearbox modification that was the reason for the recall previously..If its new in showroom it should  have been done,but ask,......I had a problem with the starter solenoid but was easly fixed by dealer..Ive been trying to upset the sprag cutch (kick starts,,electric starts)before the 2 year warranty runs out but have not yet managed it in almost 3000 miles,Buy it and enjoy it.....
    John Hut..
        GB
John Electra Deluxe Efi

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 07:55:52 pm
There's a chance I will be buying a 2009 G5 Deluxe (new in showroom, not used).  Are there any recalls or mechanical fixes that I should know about or have done first?  I remember reading about the sprag clutch and some transmission issue a while back.

Are you in US ?  To my knowledge, all the 2009 bikes that had transmission issue were recalled and rebuilt. I have a 2009 G5 one of the first ones sold here, it was recalled and fixed.  The rebuilt bikes have been running fine.  If it gives you some confidence, I have 12,000 miles on my G5 and love it !

Talk to the dealer and ask him if the unit that you saw was one of them and fixed or was it one of the later batches that did not need 'fixing'. They do have a 2 year warranty.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5