Author Topic: Valve adjustment?  (Read 24360 times)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
on: February 11, 2011, 03:54:16 pm
Just curious, while at the dealer the other day, the salesman said the UCE has hydraulic lifters a la Harley, eliminating the need for valve adjustments. That was the 1st time I had heard that. Any truth to that? Any other major changes from the AVL? Thanks.

Dan

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 04:00:34 pm
yep true,and they also have a  fuelinjector
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 04:09:13 pm
It's a way different engine, they share the same bore and stroke but not much else.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 04:14:57 pm
AVL is similar to Iron Barrel for all practical purposes.

But UCE, which was introduced in 2009, is as different from the earlier bikes as VW Beetle of the 60's vs. Beetle of 200?.   UCE requires only one oil for everything - engine, clutch, transmission.  But AVL transmission is separate.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 04:18:22 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 04:23:04 pm
AVL is similar to Iron Barrel for all practical purposes.

But UCE, which was introduced in 2009, is as different from the earlier bikes as VW Beetle of the 60's vs. Beetle of 200?.   UCE requires only one oil for everything - engine, clutch, transmission.  But AVL transmission is separate.

One type of oil, or common oil that flows through all three? The F.I. was obvious. Not so obvious was the changes to the cases. Can a kickstart and right side shift be added? Thanks again.

Dan

Oh yeah, I have seen pix of the C5 with passenger seat/rack installed but the online catalog doesn't show much.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 04:33:18 pm
One common oil that flows through all three, kick start is coming for the C5, right side shift? With a hammer and a torch anything is possible.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 04:43:59 pm
Just curious, while at the dealer the other day, the salesman said the UCE has hydraulic lifters a la Harley, eliminating the need for valve adjustments. That was the 1st time I had heard that. Any truth to that? Any other major changes from the AVL? Thanks.

Dan

Much different  8)

An E-start that WORKS without exploding, a better clutch, a bottom end that is damn near indestructible, auto de comp, pressure die cast cases instead of sand cast, a more modern design made from modern materials on new machinery, EFI that is mapped to 18,000+ ft  AND you can troubleshoot it yourself, I could go on and on.

Suffice it to say it is a Bulllet you ride instead of wrench on.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 05:13:59 pm by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 06:06:32 pm
You can jump on one and take off for a 300-400 mile day without carrying tools and extra oil. You can do the same thing the next day too,  ;D
Iron Butt Association

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 06:17:46 pm
R80RT: they are really nice bikes...The improvements on these bikes was a smart move for Enfield and the customer base....I like the fact that the newer  ones will have a kickstart (Yeah I know it may be overkill) but its not like it won't be used from time to time....Would you say that the sprag clutch problem is completely solved with the new bikes??? Have you had any kickback with your electric start c5?  Glad to see u having a great time on that c5. I guess when they come out with the c5 equivalent with a kickstart, we'll have a few of you with just electric start models...Knowing what u know now, would you had waited and gotten one of them?..Just a few thoughts for the day. Cheers from the iron world..
Oh Magoo you done it again

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 06:26:00 pm
I guess when they come out with the c5 equivalent with a kickstart, we'll have a few of you with just electric start models...Knowing what u know now, would you had waited and gotten one of them?..Just a few thoughts for the day. Cheers from the iron world..

Good point. Do I wait for the return of the kickstart or will the electric-only become a collector's item because of its rarity?

Also, I don't know when this change happened but I saw cam-type drive chain adjusters!

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 06:31:57 pm
IIRC, r80rt was the very first C5 owner in the states  ;D

G.M. I don't think i've ever heard about a sprag issue with a UCE.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 06:42:31 pm
R80RT: they are really nice bikes...The improvements on these bikes was a smart move for Enfield and the customer base....I like the fact that the newer  ones will have a kickstart (Yeah I know it may be overkill) but its not like it won't be used from time to time....Would you say that the sprag clutch problem is completely solved with the new bikes??? Have you had any kickback with your electric start c5?  Glad to see u having a great time on that c5. I guess when they come out with the c5 equivalent with a kickstart, we'll have a few of you with just electric start models...Knowing what u know now, would you had waited and gotten one of them?..Just a few thoughts for the day. Cheers from the iron world..
I've had NO problems of ANY kind with my C5's electric starter, and never a kickback. I wouldn't have waited for a kick starter because I wouldn't use it. 41 years of kickstarting motorcycles has my hip and knee worn out, I have trouble walking now and a kicker is usless to me. 8600 miles on her so far with no regrets or complaints. The C5 is good ;D
Iron Butt Association

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 06:53:12 pm
Also, I don't know when this change happened but I saw cam-type drive chain adjusters!
The snail cams have been used by RE forever ;)
Iron Butt Association

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 07:52:37 pm
The snail cams have been used by RE forever ;)

Then why do they sell these things? Just to make things harder?

http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/maintenance-repair/driveline/chain-adjusters.html

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 07:59:12 pm
To replace the snail cams, I guess some folks have problems with the old way :D
Iron Butt Association

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 08:51:58 pm
r80rt: great good to hear that all is good with the electric start..yeah i remember when u got her....u can understand my trepidation about the add on feature of the starter/sprag clutch with the iron....I was wondering if they pretty much had it sorted out with the newer machines....when i heard they were coming out with the kickstart now (again) I was wondering if it was "CYA" scenario vice just coming back to a bit of nostalgia and the wants of the consumer..Then again maybe a bit of both..

john hut

• John Hut
  • Scooter
  • EFI Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 09:04:26 pm
The UCE engine has hydraulic valves that don't need adjusting.
I have no problem with the Snail adjuster for the chain and see no reason to change them....I have the G5 DL with kick start and electrick start .The kick start came in handy when the starter solenod packed in and it took me about six weeks to get it replaced...I mainly use the electric start....
     John Hut
John Electra Deluxe Efi

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 09:23:53 pm
....Would you say that the sprag clutch problem is completely solved with the new bikes???

No, it hasn't been. I'm sorry to be the party pooper here but facts are facts and mine was on it's third sprag clutch by 6,000 miles. The latest one is an update on the original which only confirms that RE have acknowledged there was a problem. It's good that that is the case but on the other hand I wonder that the problem didn't surface during the development stage since it was said to be extensively tested. (I know for sure I'm not the only one to have experienced this and I don't think RE would upgrade the part just for me.) Still, fingers crossed for third time lucky. I'll be very annoyed if it fails again especially as it'll probably be out of warranty by then.

That aside I've had no other problems with the motor and share the confidence of others here to ride it long and hard day after day. It is a superb motor.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 09:25:07 pm
Much different 8)

AND you can troubleshoot it yourself, I could go on and on.

Troubleshoot yes, (impossible with an Iron?) But just what are you going to "fix"if you have an engine problem out on a ride? You can read your check engine codes, and still be as helpless as a puppy without parts. You can add "Its smaller so it's easier to push " to that list. ;) Just kidding, I know it will never break down.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 09:35:35 pm
interesting...some say they haven't had any problems (r80rt)and now a tale of caution re. clubmans  third sprag replacement..I'm not starting any nonsense here...Just trying to piece together in my mind on the comeback of the kickstart for the new machines coming down the pike...I was aware of the G5 having it stock and the C5 strictly electric start.Trying to get consensus on the durability of a strictly electric start enfield here in the U.S..I'll admit I had my reservation re. a electric start Enfield from the get go....

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 09:40:06 pm
Unless you drag a trailer full of stuff, youll be helpless as a puppy with out parts, no matter what you ride. A broken clutch cable on my BMW left me stranded for three days in Pratt Kansas, that is one boring place to sit in a motel :D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 02:18:20 pm by r80rt »
Iron Butt Association

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 09:42:14 pm
that may be true.....I guess if your sprag bites the dust there u probably can push start the bike..Did u feel like a Pratt after 3 days??

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 09:48:02 pm
interesting...some say they haven't had any problems (r80rt)and now a tale of caution re. clubmans  third sprag replacement..I'm not starting any nonsense here...Just trying to piece together in my mind on the comeback of the kickstart for the new machines coming down the pike...I was aware of the G5 having it stock and the C5 strictly electric start.Trying to get consensus on the durability of a strictly electric start enfield here in the U.S..I'll admit I had my reservation re. a electric start Enfield from the get go....
From what I understand the kicker was left off because the factory thought the US market wouldn't want it, there were a lot of request's so they put it back on, it simplified everything for them to do that, one type of cases for everyone.  There are a few electric start C5 guys on here and I've only heard of the one sprag problem on clubmans bike, but I think he has a G5 with kicker and electric so that may have something to do with it. Can't speak for everyone but mine's been trouble free.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 09:53:53 pm by r80rt »
Iron Butt Association

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 09:49:53 pm
that may be true.....I guess if your sprag bites the dust there u probably can push start the bike..Did u feel like a Pratt after 3 days??
As a matter of fact, I did :D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 10:00:07 pm by r80rt »
Iron Butt Association

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: February 11, 2011, 10:14:10 pm
7000 miles on my G5 with no problems except a loose wire to the fuel pump.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 12:00:07 am by Chris-G5 »

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #25 on: February 11, 2011, 10:26:00 pm
interesting...some say they haven't had any problems (r80rt)and now a tale of caution re. clubmans  third sprag replacement..I'm not starting any nonsense here...Just trying to piece together in my mind on the comeback of the kickstart for the new machines coming down the pike...I was aware of the G5 having it stock and the C5 strictly electric start.Trying to get consensus on the durability of a strictly electric start enfield here in the U.S..I'll admit I had my reservation re. a electric start Enfield from the get go....

There have been VERY few problems with the starter gears / sprags on the new bikes. I can't even recall the last one that I wrote up - although I think it was because it was dropped during the gearbox upgrade and bent the cage on it so it wouldn't go back together ......  ;D They are about as bullet-proof as any other bike out there now. The reason that we are getting the kicky C5 is because everyone was screaming for it - for that "nostalgia" look. I suggested at one time that a kicker probably could have just been bolted onto the engine cover and no one would have known the difference - hahaha!  ;) Fear not the electric leg on the new bikes - and enjoy the kicker in a crowd (with your thumb on the "sissy button" just to make sure! Hahahaha!
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: February 11, 2011, 11:11:49 pm
okay well that explains it....i'm glad to c the kicker came back with the new machines....not like u killing your leg to crank it....its good to c logic/commom sense is part of the equation... i probably would  use it 50/50 if i brought the new machine....with the iron i have i'm in  90/10 with the 90% being kick starting vice the electric start...I think it saves my battery (original/06) and it gives me a idea on state of tune......thanks scooterbob for the lowdown..

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: February 11, 2011, 11:48:09 pm
Unless you drag a trailer full of parts, youll be stranded no matter what you ride. A broken clutch cable on my BMW left me stranded for three days in Pratt Kansas, that is one boring place to sit in a motel :D
Wow, you cant ride without clutch cable? Give a push with your foot and snap it into gear. Take it easy,and ride way ahead of yourself. Filing -changing points, clearing out a fouled carb, need no trailer.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: February 11, 2011, 11:56:45 pm
Yeah I know how,  I did that for 50 miles, but I still had 600 to go. I decided to wait on a cable.  UCE, need no points, need no carb, need no tinkering.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 02:35:15 am by r80rt »
Iron Butt Association

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: February 12, 2011, 12:20:46 am
Wow, you cant ride without clutch cable? Give a push with your foot and snap it into gear. Take it easy,and ride way ahead of yourself. Filing -changing points, clearing out a fouled carb, need no trailer.

It was a BMW. If you use a non-approved operational procedure you will void your warranty.  ;)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: February 12, 2011, 12:28:04 am
Oh it was waaay out of warranty :D
Iron Butt Association

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: February 12, 2011, 01:00:19 am
Troubleshoot yes, (impossible with an Iron?) But just what are you going to "fix"if you have an engine problem out on a ride? You can read your check engine codes, and still be as helpless as a puppy without parts. You can add "Its smaller so it's easier to push " to that list. ;) Just kidding, I know it will never break down.

IF in the unlikely event the break down were EFI you could know exactly what to to have FedEx'd overnight.  ;)

A fuse, a clutch cable, an inner tube and a master link are about the only spares you might need to carry when riding a UCE machine on a long haul. 8)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: February 12, 2011, 01:03:59 am
Those are the four things I carry :D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 01:09:47 am by r80rt »
Iron Butt Association

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #33 on: February 12, 2011, 01:13:14 am
Oh it was waaay out of warranty :D

If this was an old AirHead bike and you didn't have spare cables crammed up into the main backbone frame tube, they are kick you out of the BMW Continuum ..... Heeheehee! I thought that's what the hollow tube was FOR ......  ::)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: February 12, 2011, 01:27:08 am
I kept the cable lock in the hollow tube, I'd just put a new clutch cable on the day before I took off, didn't think I'd need a spare ::)  I know, I know, "What lesson have you learned Grasshopper?"
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 01:36:18 am by r80rt »
Iron Butt Association

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: February 12, 2011, 01:55:51 am
IF in the unlikely event the break down were EFI you could know exactly what to to have FedEx'd overnight.  ;)

A fuse, a clutch cable, an inner tube and a master link are about the only spares you might need to carry when riding a UCE machine on a long haul. 8)
And not to mention, If I remember correctly, 2 or 3 of the EFI sensors could fail on your bike, and it will still run enough to get you home. Can't beat that ! I also have the E start only C-5, never a problem for me.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: February 12, 2011, 02:00:18 am
that's encouraging...u guys are great and won't bs us....we all know the weak spots and what works and what doesn't....u gotta love this site for info...

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: February 12, 2011, 02:03:20 am
You're gonna get one, ain't ya? :D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 02:08:29 am by r80rt »
Iron Butt Association

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: February 12, 2011, 02:11:40 am
And not to mention, If I remember correctly, 2 or 3 of the EFI sensors could fail on your bike, and it will still run enough to get you home. Can't beat that ! I also have the E start only C-5, never a problem for me.

And if the third one failed you deep in the jungles of the amazon,,, I'll bet you could slap a carb on it.

In India the UCE 350 is carburated.  ;)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: February 12, 2011, 03:04:11 am
 You know, I wouldn't doubt it. That mysterious black box might just pick up on it and make the correct adjustments  :D
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: February 13, 2011, 10:35:57 am
And if the third one failed you deep in the jungles of the amazon,,, I'll bet you could slap a carb on it.

In India the UCE 350 is carburated.  ;)

Not a bad idea but most fuel injection systems use high pressure fuel vs gravity for a carb. If you could compensate it might work.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #41 on: February 13, 2011, 04:43:40 pm
What is a carb?  Is it something my C5 needs to get energy? 

:D
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: February 14, 2011, 12:35:38 am

I once saw a guy at a gas station about to pour NOS energy drink into his gas tank. I tried to explain the cross-marketing of two entirely different products. And it was loaded with carbs.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: February 14, 2011, 05:50:03 pm

Agreed, but I'd be home by then... ;)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #44 on: February 15, 2011, 09:55:39 pm
A nice trick for a long ride is to run your spare cables taped next to the existing ones.  Then if a cable fails you just have to attach the ends and don't need to fish it rhough the chassis of the bike.  And it's alwasy good to carry a spare master link if your chain isn't riveted.

After my last long trip where I took every tool I could think of I'd pare back next time.  You always want some basic set of wrenches and allens, pliers, the wrenches you need to take both wheels off, and some duct tape, chain lube, and rags to wipe your hands.  I think that's about all I'll take next time.  And a cell phone ;)

Scott

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #45 on: February 15, 2011, 10:06:29 pm
Scotty - That is an AWESOME idea!  ;D

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: February 15, 2011, 10:18:27 pm
Zip ties and vice  grips will get you a long way too!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #47 on: February 16, 2011, 12:43:13 am
Yes, duct tape, vice grips and wd-40 are the holy trinity of cheap mechanics..

I think that idea for running the cables may have come from the Iron Butt site.

Scott

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: February 16, 2011, 12:54:35 am
I think the cable idea is from the Iron Butt site, I put extra cables on my beemer like that when I did the Saddle sore 1000, luckily I didn't need them,
Iron Butt Association

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: February 16, 2011, 01:25:24 am

It's that thing my dietician is always trying to get me to avoid.
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #50 on: February 16, 2011, 04:01:13 pm
I think the cable idea is from the Iron Butt site, I put extra cables on my beemer like that when I did the Saddle sore 1000, luckily I didn't need them,

Well - You KNOW the rule, right? If you HAVE it conveniently located - you'll NEVER need it ..... if it's the last one on the Planet and no others are available without hiring a design team and a Moldavian blacksmythe - it is destined to fail ......

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: February 16, 2011, 06:10:58 pm
Truer words were never said  :D
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #52 on: February 16, 2011, 06:21:01 pm
The corollary to that is anything warranteed for life will faill immediately.  Who's going to replace something that fails instantly with something that will also fail instantly? ;)

Scott

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #53 on: February 16, 2011, 08:45:07 pm
I always have to ask "WHOSE life?" with that warranty stuff ...... MINE? - or the part that I just bought ..... This is ONE reason why I'm a Snap-On tool fan .... they are pricey - BUT - if I break one at 3:00am and leave a message on the tool man's answering machine, I expect one in my hand by 9:00 the next morning. At the shop .....  ;)

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: February 17, 2011, 01:38:07 am
I always have to ask "WHOSE life?"

I'm a funeral director by profession and I get a bit of smile on my face when I recall the warrantee cards for new caskets a few years ago. There was a "lifetime warranty" on the rubber like seal that surrounds the lid and also on the casket hardware.

as Bob says..... who's life????
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #55 on: February 17, 2011, 02:49:00 am
Those super seal caskets weird me out.  How long do these people want to preserve their pickled corpse in there anyway?  The Jews have it on this one, a coffin made of all organic material with no nails.  Dust to dust.

Scott

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #56 on: February 17, 2011, 03:33:41 am
Those super seal caskets weird me out.  How long do these people want to preserve their pickled corpse in there anyway?  The Jews have it on this one, a coffin made of all organic material with no nails.  Dust to dust.

Scott

Copy that! I got to see a poor spook that had been in the ground for quite some time (an old buddy of mine was a state medical examiner ...) in one of those "lifetime guarantee" coffins .... it WAS creepy ..... the dood was a little dried out - and had a black toe - but other than that ..... perfect. Like Lenin! CrEeEeEeEeEeEePy ...........

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #57 on: February 17, 2011, 04:26:13 am
I saw those super sealer coffins when we had to buy one for my dad many years ago.  The other weird thing about them, they were all painted in these metallic fifties hot rod colors.  Totally weird.

Scott

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: February 17, 2011, 03:52:55 pm
from valve adjustments to super sealed coffins....so which ones have u guys decided to go with?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #59 on: February 17, 2011, 04:40:01 pm
I want my valves to seal,  and not my coffin.

Scott

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #60 on: February 17, 2011, 05:02:26 pm
I told my kids to toss me off the Golden Gate Bridge. They asked "your ashes?" Nope, just feed me to the sharks. Probably not legal.

Once I found out the EFI bikes had hydraulic lifters the thread kind of unraveled.

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #61 on: February 17, 2011, 07:33:54 pm
Speakin 'o ashes...

My Mom passed away, was creamated in accordance with her wishes,  and wanted her remains to come back to the family plot...

Had to buy a concrete "ashes vault" to be buried in the cemetary... an 18" cube that cost about $300.00...

Mike and S&S in Michigan...
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #62 on: February 17, 2011, 07:43:36 pm
I want my valves to seal,  and not my coffin.

Scott

May I recommend Clover Brand valve grinding paste?  ::)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #63 on: February 17, 2011, 08:44:40 pm
dieing ain;t free..I'm not even sure if u can really jjust toss someone ashes in the ocean, favorite spot or whatever...Can u keep them around in your house like your pets?..I guess for the dead it doesn't matter...this pertains more to the living or quasi dead.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #64 on: February 17, 2011, 09:13:38 pm
I don't think you can legally dispose of remains, cremated or otherwise, in random spots at your leisure.  If you want to bury at sea you need to get out to international waters, 12 miles from shore I think.

In practice I and lots of people I know have disposed of ashes in water or other wildlife type areas without incident.

Valve grinding paste???  For my coffin???  This is getting weirder. ;)

Scott

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #65 on: February 17, 2011, 09:36:12 pm
This is starting to sound like the story of Epaminandes .......  ::)

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #66 on: February 17, 2011, 09:50:04 pm
With cremated remains, it sorta like a "I dont ask... they dont tell" with families taking them home.

But....    I had a gentleman that was a hunter. His buddies wanted a small portion of the remains in a separate container. They had plans to divvy up some into reloaded shotgun shells. A few months later I had occasion to see one of his hunting buddies, and asked how the reloading and the hunt that year with him went.  His response almost had me in tears...   "he couldn't f--k all alive.... and he couldn't hit f--k all dead"

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #67 on: February 17, 2011, 11:25:29 pm
Since this thread has turned a bit off topic, I might as well chime in. I still have my dad waiting in a can for his last ride. When the weather warms, I'll strap him to the pillion and take a long ride in the country. He was an ardent Norton fan, but I think he won't mind the Bullet.  ;) cochi 

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #68 on: February 17, 2011, 11:55:45 pm
offtopic for sure but get to know a little more about each other and what's each of us tackle..wow..taking dad fpr a final ride..god bless cochi and his dad...

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #69 on: February 17, 2011, 11:58:22 pm
I 've got a feeling your Pop will love the Bullet, That last ride is a great thing for you to do, make it a good long one.
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #70 on: February 18, 2011, 12:08:12 am

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #71 on: February 18, 2011, 12:31:20 am
I told my kids to toss me off the Golden Gate Bridge. They asked "your ashes?" Nope, just feed me to the sharks. Probably not legal.

Once I found out the EFI bikes had hydraulic lifters the thread kind of unraveled.

;D OMG, If you were English you would not have used this phrase!!!!  :o
You will always find that women that have lost thier virginity, still have the box it came in!

Royal Enfield, making mechanics out of owners since 1893.

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #72 on: February 18, 2011, 12:45:00 am
Thanks guys. My dad and I never agreed on much except when it came to old British Iron. We lived in Argentina when I was young and  he owed an Atlas. He used to take me for short rides, to my mothers horror, on that wonderful beast. I was hooked from a young age. Years later later after we moved to the states, he would tell me of his adventures with the Atlas, his eyes would tear up  and he'd get this look on his face as if he was back in the old country with his Norton. It's funny how much of an impact a bike can have on one's soul. My hats off to the guy who took his dad's body for a last ride. Incredble  amount of love there. Well I guess we should get this thread back on track. cochi :)  

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #73 on: February 18, 2011, 12:49:30 am
;D OMG, If you were English you would not have used this phrase!!!!  :o

Sorry, as an American, English is my second language.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #74 on: February 18, 2011, 01:03:48 am
Sorry, as an American, English is my second language.

Whutz U talkin' 'bout DAT ......  ::)

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #75 on: February 18, 2011, 01:12:06 am
Hey I found a English dictionary. http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/t.htm

I will not be asking my kids to do that! Of course if I'm dead it wouldn't work anyway.

All this talk of proper disposal of one's remains just reminded me of The Big Lebowski.

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #76 on: February 18, 2011, 01:19:51 am
Hey I found a English dictionary. http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/t.htm

I will not be asking my kids to do that! Of course if I'm dead it wouldn't work anyway.

All this talk of proper disposal of one's remains just reminded me of The Big Lebowski.

Thought we went 'stiff' when we died ??? ;D
You will always find that women that have lost thier virginity, still have the box it came in!

Royal Enfield, making mechanics out of owners since 1893.

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #77 on: February 18, 2011, 01:26:53 am
Great fllck! "Shut the F___ up Donny!! They're Nihilist not Nazis!!! Busted a gut laughing at that scene. cochi

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #78 on: February 18, 2011, 01:37:08 am
can't help and like u guys...for some reason i'm thinking of that brad pitt movie and him saying " we gonna kill some f'ing nazis"....crazy flick but i ilked it alot..

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #79 on: February 18, 2011, 01:39:19 am

Thought we went 'stiff' when we died ??? ;D

Yes, after a few hours, but then we loosen up again.  If you're fresh, you're still pliable.  I think it takes a few hours for rigor mortis to set in, then several hours or more later it abates.

Scott

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #80 on: February 18, 2011, 02:14:06 am
Yeah, disposing of the ashes! I think Jeff Bridges won for Lebowski they just waited till Crazy Heart to give it to him.

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #81 on: February 18, 2011, 02:25:16 am
There is much debate as to when life "begins"... is it at conception? a few days after.. at one's exiting of the womb etc...   But there is also debate as to when one is actually "dead." Is it when your heart stops? When your brainwaves cease? Is it when breathing ceases? etc...

In order to define when each of these events occur, one must also have a firm definition of what "alive" actually means.

Differing medical and political views of when someone is really dead are prevalent throughout the world.

Rigor Mortis is the temporary fixation of muscle tissues brought on by the ......   oh heck... isn't this post about valve adjustment????

So, picture yourself locked in a very small room, not much bigger than your body, with a small supply of food and air to breathe, but nowhere is a toilet to be seen. You can eat your food until it runs out and starve to "death", and breathe until you run out of air and asphyxiate, and poop until you have no space to poop anymore.  This is basically what happens to your individual cells in your body once circulation ceases.  

You = a single cell, say perhaps a muscle cell.
Your very small room  = the space your cell occupies plus a bit of interstitial fluids surrounding you.
Your food = nutrients brought to you by blood circulation
Your air to breathe  = brought to you in the blood that feeds you and what you exhale is taken away by the blood too.
Your toilet = your interstitial fluids are the septic system, the plumbing is your lymphatic system.
Your poop = not removed as your lymphatic system which drains into your blood, and gets filtered out by the liver and kidneys isn't running anymore. The poop you as a cell produce causes your cell and your neighbours to all stiffen up for lack of space. But then after a while of this, someone comes along, namely digestive enzymes, and change your poop and also eat your cell walls allowing you to relax.

While you are stuck in this room, the reason you, as a cell, are not receiving proper food, air and toilet facilities is because your heart has stopped.   But wait... your heart stopped? You stopped breathing?   But as a cell.... you are still alive... but you've been pronounced as "dead"

See the confusion?

Oh, and to bring this back on topic.... There are valves in the heart.  ;)  Mitral, tricuspid, pulmonary and aortic... doctors are often required to adjust these valves if not in tolerance. :D

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #82 on: February 18, 2011, 02:33:13 am
Ha ha! I am a fan of science but know very little of it. I do remember reading once that there is more of "you" that is bacteria than what we think of as "you". So once those cells die, the bacteria that is you takes over. Hey! Immortality. Old bikers never die, they just get RE-cycled.  ;D

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #83 on: February 18, 2011, 06:43:01 am
Your hair and fingernails grow for several days after you die.  Before embalming corpses had to be shaved each day before wakes.  All this seems like common knowledge I've picked up along the way, no problem talking about it, etc. but those coffins weird me out.  Unless you're a pharaoh start decomposing already!

Scott

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #84 on: February 18, 2011, 01:45:47 pm
After death, the human body dehydrates, causing the skin shrink back, which exposes the part of the nails and hair that was under the skin, causing them to simply appear to grow.

Iron Butt Association

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #85 on: February 18, 2011, 02:54:02 pm
I remember Hunter S. Thompson wanted to be shot into space. In the end I think they blew him out of a cannon. Good end for a Bulleteer!

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #86 on: February 18, 2011, 02:58:52 pm
Ha ha! I am a fan of science but know very little of it. I do remember reading once that there is more of "you" that is bacteria than what we think of as "you". So once those cells die, the bacteria that is you takes over. Hey! Immortality. Old bikers never die, they just get RE-cycled.  ;D

I believe I LIKE this idea ..........

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #87 on: February 18, 2011, 03:35:03 pm
So once those cells die, the bacteria that is you takes over. Hey! Immortality. Old bikers never die, they just get RE-cycled.  ;D

I believe I LIKE this idea ..........

This is so true - we are constantly being REcycled, even while reading this or writing this !  We re-create some of 'me' as we lose some of 'me' in this recycling process - but with time the first part becomes smaller and smaller.  

This physical body is not only habitat of 'me' but of millions of other living beings (bacteria, microorganisms etc.) that call it 'home' or 'mine'.  This cycle of birth of cells, organs and death of the same cells, organs continues and every few days or few weeks or months the cells or organs are completely replaced !  Miracle - what we call life.  One day this collection of cells - what we call 'I' or 'me' - disintegrates and becomes part of others 'collections of cells' - what we call 'you'.  Then there is no 'you'.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #88 on: February 18, 2011, 04:02:38 pm
And life goes on within you and without you. (Cue the sitar)

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #89 on: February 18, 2011, 05:29:19 pm
What returns from the crematorium that is labled with your name as being you, was never alive in the first place. As cremated remains, you get minerals, trace metals and casket materials back, your flesh and bones are all gone. The physical body you call you isn't there.

To me, the human body is a Christmas present. A present from Christ. The gift is inside. When you die, Christ takes the gift back to Him. As a funeral director, Families entrust me with the wrapping paper that the Gift came in. I take that wrapping paper, straighten it out, clean it up and position it in a casket so that families and friends can come to see the Christmas present to remember the Gift that was inside.

Oh, and metal caskets also have valves too...   If the casket is travelling in a manner that the air pressure difference is great enough, such as via aircraft, there is a screw type valve that can be opened to equalize the pressure. If the pressure difference is too great, the lid can collapse or buckle. So... ya.. valves..    :)

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #90 on: February 18, 2011, 06:17:38 pm
Interesting. I didn't know you are getting casket ashes back. So what would be the best for the environment for my fellow inhabitants? Throw me in the ocean? Drop me in a hole? And by me of course I mean this soup of beings and chemicals that remains after the real me, my brain, shuts down. I realize people need their rituals, traditions and superstitions. It is part of being human, but spending money on a dead person has always struck me as offensive. I would like to be recycled... Soylent Green anyone?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #91 on: February 18, 2011, 06:36:22 pm
I didn't know you got the casket either, I was wondering about that.

Best solution?  Donate to science.  If you really don't care about the meat you leave behind let someone learn something and make other peoples' lives better.  And get some funny tattoos when you're older, no reason not to have a sense of humor ;)

Scott

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #92 on: February 19, 2011, 07:20:45 pm
What, the ones I have aren't funny enough?

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #93 on: February 20, 2011, 12:53:45 am
 And here all this time I thought with the flesh having been consumed by fire, ashes were remaining bone reduced after the fact.