Author Topic: Rear chain adjustment  (Read 2445 times)

mugwomp

• Mugwomp
  • Scooter
  • 10 RE G5...this be a fun bike!
on: February 11, 2011, 10:29:23 pm
Howdy Guys, I really appreciate this site & all the informative comments from the Brotherhood. Got a question...I tried to tighten my rear chain on my 10 G5 because it had in my opinion too much slack (2-2.25"). Of course had to buy a 24mm & 30mm socket for the axle nuts as my jap bike doesn't have anything close to that large.
I did the procedure per the manual and your experienced posts on here. Left snail was at #9 and right was #12 (not worried as per various posts here saying they are not always equal) I put them at #10 & 13 dimple and the chain tightened up way too tight for anything except pulling teeth outa the sprocket or worse. Anyone else had this situation happen to them? I put it back where they were and now still have too much slack. I know it's better to be too loose rather than too tight, but do the snail dimples make that much difference in the chain tension? Thanks in advance for your input
97 HD FLSTS
02 Buell Cyclone
97 Buell Thunderbolt - Widowmaker
09 Kawasaki 125 Eliminator
10 RE G5 Classic

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 10:36:25 pm
Is that 2" of slack with someone sitting on the bike?  Make sure you check the slack with someone on the bike  - makes quite a difference.....
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 10:37:23 pm
They DO make that much difference - and I have done about that trick several times. Leave the chain be - It'll be FINE at that adjustment. It'll "float" a little easier and allow smoother shifting - plus - it WILL teach you to be smooth with the throttle and clutch whilst shifting. It seems that the adjustment to the chain is made about the time that it starts to pick up dirt from dragging the ground ....... you know - the proper English method? Hahaha! I have found "back in the daze" that the old Brit bikes like the same adjustment. I look for about 3" or so of slack in the Triumph chain with the bike loaded - and it'll be as tight as a banjo string up on the centre stand ........

I'm sure I'm not the only one to observe this .......
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

mugwomp

• Mugwomp
  • Scooter
  • 10 RE G5...this be a fun bike!
Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 12:40:43 am
Thanks for the replies...WillW, with my lady on her, she's a tad tighter, but not by much. ScooterBob, thanks for putting my mind at ease. Have had a few chain driven bikes in the days and always liked about an inch play, but then again, I've not had anything that makes me grin like me Enfield! She's ready for her 2000mi service and I'm loving her more each ride. This is a great site full of knowledge and wisdom. Thanks for sharing.
97 HD FLSTS
02 Buell Cyclone
97 Buell Thunderbolt - Widowmaker
09 Kawasaki 125 Eliminator
10 RE G5 Classic

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 01:15:56 am
An INCH of play?? Good GAWD! - All your previous bikes must've been Japper-Knees ... You can only do that on one of those ...... Hahaha! Most of my old Brits had an inch of out-of-round in the sprocket set ups ......  ::)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 09:58:14 pm
I run my chain loose and at the least, it tells me when my shifts are a tad off.  I also had a strange experience: the rear hub started sliding back and forth: tighten using the rear brake, loosen on acceleration. I checked the nuts which were all really tight. I hadn't touched it since the "dealer" prep. Adjusted the chain, and so far it's good. Just another Indian mystery!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 01:52:44 am by jjoe256 »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 08:31:15 am
I was used to tighter chains on my other bikes too.  I started using the settings in the Pete Snidal manual for the old bikes: 2" with the bike on center stand and suspension fully extended.  It eliminates the whole need to have someone sit on the bike while you adjust and it's working well for me so far on the UCE.

On the snails, yep, sometimes it's too tight or too loose.  Make sure the wheel is straight and a little too loose is better than a little too tight.

Scott