Author Topic: RUST 2 - a simple solution....?  (Read 1498 times)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
on: February 11, 2011, 11:57:25 am
The winter bike storage problem has been keeping me awake at nights. Or rather the thought of my G5 slowly corroding by the minute down in its damp cave.
I'd heard of these vacuum storage bags, but more or less dismissed the idea - just didn't seem as though it could work that well. But I'm becoming more enamoured of the idea. There are some good testimonials from users, and at the very least it'll spare my bike any more exposure until this constant wet weather finally clears off. If it's any good, it might even save me the cost of a new winter storage shed......
The only problem I foresee is getting the bike dry enough before sealing it in, particularly if I do it now. But then again, a couple of bags of the Drisorb thrown in might make this not so much of an issue. Certainly can't be worse than the current continuous exposure to wet air.
I'm gonna try one......I'm a desperate man.....  
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 12:04:17 pm
Update.
I've just had a long phone conversation with the guy who produces these, and ordered one plus some extra Drisorb. I'm convinced this is the way to go - at the very least to get me out of the current situation, and possibly as the permanent solution to the winter storage problem here.

PS  It isn't actually a "vacuum" at all. Some air is removed simply to give the Drisorb dessicant less area to absorb the moisture from. Air removal only needs to be minimal and doesn't require a vacuum cleaner at all. As long as the bag is sealed and the dessicant is in there. I'd mis-understood the concept previously.

www.vac-bags.co.uk/bike.htm

a USA version here: www.caresecrets.com/cycle_shield

There are others, but expensive.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 01:21:45 pm by WillW »

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 12:05:03 pm
That is exactly right Will. If there is any moisture inside the plastic it is going nowhere. Where I work we shrinkwrap boats and we have absorbant pads to throw in to remove excess dampness. Maybe even just rice would do it.
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

Bullet.wagon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 01:52:43 pm
Drain the gas ,place in living room. Not to close to the fire place.
2005 RE Military
2000 RE 350

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 02:17:03 pm
Will - You need to talk to your Enfield dealer and salvage some of the desiccant bags that are shipped with the bikes! They usually toss about ten pounds of them in with the bikes. I use them in the gun bunker to keep the moisture off the shootin' irons an there is one or two in every drawer of my toolbox. They work well and they'll dry out  in a 250F degree oven to be used again. Free is always the best price for anything!  ;)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 05:23:24 pm
Free is always my favourite option. I'm a long wayfrom Watsonian Squire, who I think are the only importers getting the bikes in crates, and if they had any to get shot of I guess the postage might negate the free-ness.....
The Vac-Bag supplier charges less than £15 for three bags - one ought to last a year they reckon, so it's darn near free.  Either way, a LOT less outlay than a new bike shed...
The whole kit with the bag, moisture meter and 2 sacks of dessicant was only around £50. Small price for peace of mind. Knowing it's in the mail has already quelled the anxiety..... :)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 06:09:47 pm
I hope it turns out to be that simple, let us know.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 06:19:59 pm
I think I'll go out and take a look at the bikes in the garage,Locked it up 2 weeks ago and u guys got me thinking...Nah...Cement floor, wooden structure, no leaks and ventilation...Well maybe I 'll go take a peak...
Oh Magoo you done it again

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 08:50:57 pm
My concrete garage floor sweats like a drunk in church ......  ::)  :'(
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 09:01:07 pm
With the vacuum bag, you may be able to fit it under the bed after it's pumped......I saw it on T.V :)
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 09:25:18 pm
good idea...Vacum sealed enfield...Don't give my wife ideas....
Oh Magoo you done it again