Author Topic: g5 luggage rack  (Read 4897 times)

greggers

• Bulleteer
on: February 11, 2011, 05:23:38 am
Curious if anyone has put the luggage rack from nfieldgear on their G5? http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/aftermarket-parts-accessories/luggage/chrome-brackets-style-1.html

Thoughts? Ease of installation? I'm looking for something to help me bungee down a duffle bag, maybe 1 or two other things, and of course allow for some saddle bags.

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 04:56:51 pm
I have just fitted this rack, cost me arm and a leg from the states.
Have also fiitted a back rest(sissy bar,- dirt cheap of ebay), similar mounting idea to yours.
Just to add have also fitted goldie style silencer,@10 deg.,crash bars, small fly screen, headlamp peak, mud flaps, and small saddle bags back and front. Cost me plenty (good old credit card), but bike looks 10 mph faster.
Cant wait for warmer weather.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 06:09:47 pm
Bloody hell Martyn  -  spring bike madness already?!
What crash bar did you fit? I put a straight bar on last autumn, which I think looks great. Actually I took it off again today (temporarily) along with the rack and seat, and made a start on cleaning and waxing after the winter wet garage onslaught...... :(
I now like the look of the bike without all the stuff on the back - easier to clean too - and may in future just fit the saddlebags for trips away.
That studded single seat from Hitcocks is seriously tempting me, in which case I'd leave the chrome rack off altogether.
But yeah - I learned my lesson on buying from the USA with that rack...... :o

That Goldie's good isn't it... ;)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 06:15:50 pm by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 12:28:46 pm
WillW, I fitted the butterfly type from WS. The Backrest (ebay) came from India, and managed to escape any sort of import duty etc. Cost me £29.94 total. Just compare with our other suppliers, -1/2 price. Looks identical to me, although finish could be improved, but nothing to compare with. I too like the studded seat, but may interfere with my cramster style pannier bags.
Cheers

greggers

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 07:30:44 pm
Thanks for the info guys. Being in southern CA, don't have to worry about the import duties or harsh winter weather ( it's 75ºF today  ;D ). That's a great tip about keeping the handle on too, I'll definitely be trying to rig up something similar. Picking up the bike this week from some warranty repairs, so I think I'll have the dealer order me this and the EFI exhaust when I go in.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 07:36:54 pm
Have fun with it.   75 degrees? Today? You lucky sod..... 8) ;)

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 03:05:51 pm
I have just fitted this rack, cost me arm and a leg from the states.
Have also fiitted a back rest(sissy bar,- dirt cheap of ebay), similar mounting idea to yours.
Just to add have also fitted goldie style silencer,@10 deg.,crash bars, small fly screen, headlamp peak, mud flaps, and small saddle bags back and front. Cost me plenty (good old credit card), but bike looks 10 mph faster.
Cant wait for warmer weather.

First ride today (since November) with my new look G5. Wow, what a difference the goldie silencer makes. Improved acceleration, not sure about top speed, has as yet to be tried.
I think the goldie silencer must have been designed for  Enfield and stolen by BSA, ha ha!!
The rest of the bits has certainly raised the profile.

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 03:52:28 pm
I added the G5 saddlebag brackets, # Z91158 to my G5 Deluxe. They were not available in chrome, so I had them chrome plated. I ALSO added the chrome plated G5 / Electra Solo Carrier, # Z91110. The combination looks great! I have the Royal Enfield Leather Express Saddlebags, # Z91359, and with the carrier, I have the option of carrying additional bags. Had to go to some longer hardware to address the additional thickness of the two brackets at junction point. I've gotten several compliments on this arrangement, including my favorite, " Did you do the restoration yourself ? !

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 03:50:52 pm
They used to have an extendable rack that I got for my G-5. Haven't mounted it yet. Might check and see what's around. It's a lot larger than the one discussed here. It mounts to the shock bolt, then has an aft support that bolts to the rear fender behind the seat, and extends so far I need to hand a red oversize load flag on it. If you want, I'll measure it.

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 04:28:35 pm
I added the G5 saddlebag brackets, # Z91158 to my G5 Deluxe. They were not available in chrome, so I had them chrome plated. I ALSO added the chrome plated G5 / Electra Solo Carrier, # Z91110. The combination looks great! I have the Royal Enfield Leather Express Saddlebags, # Z91359, and with the carrier, I have the option of carrying additional bags. Had to go to some longer hardware to address the additional thickness of the two brackets at junction point. I've gotten several compliments on this arrangement, including my favorite, " Did you do the restoration yourself ? !

Any pics available? Would be  8), cause I basically don´t like the look of any rack on the perfect backside of Precious. But you have to carry luggage anyways, so I´m looking for the least ugly combo  ;D
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 04:54:33 pm
you can just fit side frames for throwover sadlebags. Fairly unobtrusive, and no rack behind.

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 11:34:14 pm
Hello Maturin,
         I'll get some photos posted as soon as possible. I'm a computer moron and will need some help from my friends !