Author Topic: Mirror thread size  (Read 3670 times)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
on: February 09, 2011, 08:44:54 pm
Am I right in thinking the mirrors have standard 10mm thread? That's how it looks when I hold it againsts a tape measure, but just to make sure before I send for new ones...
 I know they're LH & RH , and I suppose I can get an adapter if necessary.
(looking around for new cool mirrors now my stock ones have dissolved in the damp....)
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

raycopper

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 08:53:56 pm
Hi Will,

I have a thread gauge at home, but working a night shift at the mo. Will let you know in the morning if no-one beats me to it.

Ray
2010 C5 - Red

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 09:03:56 pm
Napoleon bar end mirrors.  Then you just need a little plastic cap to close off the hole ;)

I think some Yamaha's use the same type of mirrors: 10mm and L and R hand threads.

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 09:13:46 pm
Thanks guys. I wondered whether Yamaha were the same - I keep seeing "Yamaha RH adapters) offered with some mirrors. I figured that might do the job, but just making sure before I send some stranger my money.... :-\

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 10:27:03 pm
Easy enough to pop down to a dealer, borrow one, and see if they fit.  I'm sure even if you could see it next to yours that would be enough.

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 10:46:21 pm
The bike wont be on the road for a while. I've just been browsing online for something a bit different. Plenty out there, but not many put the vital measurements so you just can't tell. I do like to to be able see more than my own elbows......
Not keen on handlebar end mirrors

Tecomakeith

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 11:29:16 pm
 :DThey are M10 left hand and right hand thread on my C5.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 11:34:16 pm
Bar end mirrors provide the best view.  It's simple physics, they farther out they are the better the angle and the more you can see.  Naopleons are the best I've tried that match the look of the bike.  CRGs are smaller and fold back when hit but look too modern to match the bike IMO.  There are plenty of others, most inexpensive ones shake too much to be useful.

If you want to see how they work without spending too much try the Third Eye Bar End or Myrricle bicycle mirrors.  Very inexpensive and they both work well if you want to try one but not spend much.  The Third Eye's worked so well that's what I kept on my Ducati.  The nice part was if one got broken I just needed to spend $15 for a new one ;)

The only hassle I have is that the bike is wide for parking, but many mirrors can fold in to mitigate that.

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 11:53:32 pm
It's a psychological thing I guess - I like my hands to be the only things anywhere near the bar ends  Dunno why - and I'm too old & cussed to change...
I've found a few handlebar mirrors now that extend a bit further out than the stock ones, so I know the view will be ok with these. It's just deciding which  ...  oval.....square.....round.....  :-\ ???

Thanks for thread size confirmation.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 12:43:46 am
I wish I could get a round Napoleon.  The view isn't as good but I think just one would look great on the bike.  Halcyon makes one but it doesn't look that solid.  And it's pricey.  And I'd have to get it sent across the pond.  So I'll probably just upgrade my black Naploeons to chrome when I can.

Scott