Author Topic: My first look  (Read 1135 times)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
on: February 09, 2011, 12:48:49 am
I've been lurking and lusting for a while, so today I made the trek into the city to my local Royal Enfield dealer.
http://vimeo.com/19722650
 Wind noise is a problem  for the gopro.
When I got there, he had two REs,  a green (teal) C5 and a Military C5. That was 10 a.m. By the time I left at noon, he had none. Sold both of them. He said they plan on keeping two at a time. A C5 and a G5. As they sell he will order more.

They were the first ones I have seen in person. The teal is very pretty but there is something about the military that grabs me. Maybe that I was never in the military. It looks like it is serious, not just a toy. I guess if I really want one I had better get it before they run out.

Dan

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 01:11:29 am
Military,,,,all about utility ( and very little chrome to baby sit) ;)

They look good clean and even better when dirty  :D
<-------<<

Modified to add; Cool videos O.H.R.  :D
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 01:34:09 am by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 01:34:58 am
I was really impressed with the build quality too. I had considered an old bullet and hot rodding it, but the more I looked at those bikes, the more I liked them. 

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 02:47:18 am
I was really impressed with the build quality too. I had considered an old bullet and hot rodding it, but the more I looked at those bikes, the more I liked them.  

@Olhogrider:

It is hard to explain, but it is a fact that for some of us they are just beautiful to look at.  As WillW, in another thread, has said that he does not want to 'seal' the bike for winter because he wants to have a peek at it now and then.  I need to look at my G5 too.  

These new UCE Efi bikes are easier to maintain than old Bullets.  And they ride very well.   Above all the rider of RE has a grin on his face and others wonder why  ;D ?

PS - Saw your video.  You had a good weather on that day !  
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 05:20:41 am
That was this morning. No fog in San Francisco when the wind is over 30 mph! I wish the camera would have been aimed a little higher. Got to get one  of those chest mounts but they are sold out.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 09:13:59 am
" Got to get one  of those chest mounts but they are sold out."

See Sinhg's solution, posted recently, with pics in Members Rides.....
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 01:38:10 pm
I cannot have Jolly in the garage where I am working on the sumbitchin' MGs.I thought it would be nice to have it in there to look at occasionally.While I worked.I ended up sitting in a rocking chair staring at Jolly.I also had an uneasy feeling that I was being watched.Had to take Jolly back out to the barn.Hated to do it,but I have got to get these MGs done and out of here,then...............I will bring Jolly back in.

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 03:43:27 pm
I've been lurking and lusting for a while, so today I made the trek into the city to my local Royal Enfield dealer.
http://vimeo.com/19722650
 Wind noise is a problem  for the gopro.
When I got there, he had two REs,  a green (teal) C5 and a Military C5. That was 10 a.m. By the time I left at noon, he had none. Sold both of them. He said they plan on keeping two at a time. A C5 and a G5. As they sell he will order more.

They were the first ones I have seen in person. The teal is very pretty but there is something about the military that grabs me. Maybe that I was never in the military. It looks like it is serious, not just a toy. I guess if I really want one I had better get it before they run out.
Hey Dan,
The military model ran a super close second place to the Sixty-5 I eventually bought. Damn handsome machine that was and still is. Easily the best of the new crop IMHO. And as the other guys have said, you can never just walk away from her. When I get off after a ride, I stare back in amazement for a full minute or so and even then it's hard to tear myself away. Best way to describe it is like a spell.
Chuck.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 07:40:47 pm
olhogrider,
off topic question, but when you pass through the toll booth, i'm assuming you have an electronic pass somewhere on you or the bike.  where is it?  i do a toll in the a.m. but the damn thing doesn't read unless i one-hand it up in front of the reader.  i don't want to mount it to my machine as it's bright-freakin'-orange.  is it in your pocket?  or does it have direct line-of-sight to the reader?

thanks.
boggy

p.s.
that video made me furious as i'm two months deep into winter with two months left to go.  torture.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 12:01:32 am
Sorry about your snow. In CA the toll booth will take a picture of your license plate then cross reference the database. If your plate is listed (mine are) it charges your account. I think they just assume the transponder didn't work. I don't have to carry it plus they have to do a little work to get my money. There is always the chance the system will malfunction and I won't have to pay. OTOH about 3 times a year  I get a threat letter that I didn't pay but they have a dispute link on the website. It has worked every time for me.

I thought people might get a kick out of the "lane sharing". This is the only state where it is legal in about the only country where it is illegal. But then we legalize "medical" marijuana while outlawing cigarettes. 

My KLR is about as pretty as a claw hammer. Once I get the RE I will post more videos.

Dan