Author Topic: New Heat Shield for the Upswept Muffler  (Read 5660 times)

robbw

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 04:13:57 am
Yes, same piece and my pant legs are already grateful.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 08:45:34 pm
I think I found that part on the web for anyone who needs it:
http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=945

Scott

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 11:51:59 pm
I think I found that part on the web for anyone who needs it:
http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=945

Scott

Looks like the same part.  But it is marked as out of stock.  If a person wants it now, just call Bent Bike Motorcyce Salvage  (425) 776-9157 and they will ship it.  I just called them to verify. 
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 04:50:04 am
Interesting. I was thinking of fitting an 18" Samson heat shield that I can get here in Australia for around the same price of importing a 12" one. Might even drill a hole in the center and use one of the original mounts and screw to add some center support.

One question. What was the reason for changing the foot peg position ?

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 05:19:33 am
Interesting. I was thinking of fitting an 18" Samson heat shield that I can get here in Australia for around the same price of importing a 12" one. Might even drill a hole in the center and use one of the original mounts and screw to add some center support.

One question. What was the reason for changing the foot peg position ?
I wanted to get the peg further under me rather.  I now have them in the center position where they will stay. 

In a sense I was looking for a seating position more like my previous Buell xb9s.  That will not work with the C5 without installing rearsets of some type.  But the new Guzzi Breva has the seating/riding position that I was looking for all the time.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 11:35:35 pm
OK, I fitted the 18" Samson heat shield and it fits reasonably well, It covers the entire straight section of the pipe.

Of course the real problem area is just forward of the upward bend under the swingarm bolt area, as that is both the hottest part of the pipe (because of the bend restricting flow)  and also where your leg is most likely to touch it when sitting astride the bike :D However extra cannot hurt and it actually looks good.

In my case I just bolted the shield on over the top of the old screw mounts. You would get a neater fit by grinding off/removing the old mounts however unless you are building a show bike it really isn't worth the effort. Mounting was a 5 minute job.

Overall for a 5 minute job it makes the bike safer and more practical to ride and also looks better than the stock shield. Well worth doing.

http://www.samsonusa.com/H-113.html
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 12:16:12 am by GlennF »

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: August 26, 2011, 02:08:17 am
OK, I fitted the 18" Samson heat shield and it fits reasonably well, It covers the entire straight section of the pipe.

Of course the real problem area is just forward of the upward bend under the swingarm bolt area, as that is both the hottest part of the pipe (because of the bend restricting flow)  and also where your leg is most likely to touch it when sitting astride the bike :D However extra cannot hurt and it actually looks good.

In my case I just bolted the shield on over the top of the old screw mounts. You would get a neater fit by grinding off/removing the old mounts however unless you are building a show bike it really isn't worth the effort. Mounting was a 5 minute job.

Overall for a 5 minute job it makes the bike safer and more practical to ride and also looks better than the stock shield. Well worth doing.

http://www.samsonusa.com/H-113.html
+1   Very nice!